Re: Kenwood D710 Development Release

  • jandgandjochem
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2010

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I just released a new Development version that supposedly supports
      > Kenwood D710s differently than I had before. To anyone that wants to
      > give it a shakedown, please disable any existing RF Port and create a
      > new one. There are two types to choose from:
      >
      > KWD710(Pkt)
      >
      > This will run the D710 in packet mode disabling all of the APRS features
      > of the device. It's actually much better to run it in KISS mode from a
      > throughput and overhead standpoint, but at least in this mode, if you
      > have a GPS connected to the D710, APRSISCE/32 will pick up its current
      > position via that connection even if you have no other GPS connected to
      > the client.
      >
      > KWD710(APRS)
      >
      > Credit to Kai Gunter LA3QMA for recommending this mode. This allows the
      > D710 to remain in APRS mode retaining all of the display features while
      > still passing received APRS packets via the control head's serial port
      > to APRSISCE/32. Again, if you have a GPS connected to the D710,
      > APRSISCE/32 will pick up a current position from that connection.
      >
      > Full transmit functionality is available in APRSISCE/32 in both D710
      > modes. Messages, beacons, telemetry, IGate status can all be
      > transmitted out the RF channel. APRSISCE/32 will act as a bi-direction
      > IGate as well if you have APRS-IS enabled and connected.
      >
      > It is most reliable if the D710's TNC is completely turned off when you
      > enable either of these two modes. Appropriate initialization commands
      > will be sent to the TNC to establish the mode such that APRSISCE/32 can
      > communicate with it. When the RFPort is disabled or the client is
      > exited, the TNC is closed and returned to an inactive state. You can
      > always mess with the <OpenCmd> and <CloseCmd> tags to change this
      > behavior if you want to experiment.
      >
      > Let me know if any of you give these new modes a try. I'm anxious to
      > see if it works for you as it seems to work for me. BTW, hopefully I'll
      > be mobile tomorrow and the next day as KJ4ERJ-12 communicating through
      > Steve Hansen (KB1TCE)'s D710 that he graciously loaned me a few weeks
      > ago and has allowed me to keep far longer than I had hoped to need it.
      > If the next two days go well, the unit will be returned to him on
      > Tuesday, so get your bug reports in to me quickly!

      > PS. KJ4ERJ-12 runs on my AT&T Tilt cellphone and is talking to the D710
      > TNC via a Bluetooth to serial link. Wireless from the radio to the
      > phone and cellular data connection to APRS-IS from there!

      I also had a bit of a play today with the new development version.

      My setup is as follows:
      1. Laptop running APRSIS32 in RV Callsign VK2JNG-10
      2. 1 off TM-D710 in RV and hooked up to 1 above Callsign VK2JNG-12
      3. 1 off TM-D710 in Car Callsign VK2JNG-9

      Note that both D710's are set up for "auto answer"

      I ran a test on beaconing and messaging as follows:

      Beaconing:
      a. From VK2JNG-9 Car D710......Put VK2JNG-9 on the screen and put VK2JNG-9 on the list of VK2JNG-12 RV D710 complete with QSY Frequency

      b. From VK2JNG-10 APRSIS32........Nothing appeared on VK2JNG-12 RV D710 and yes it appeared on VK2JNG-9 Car D710 list as VK2JNG-10

      c. From VK2JNG-12 RV D710.......Nothing on APRSIS32 but on VK2JNG-9 Car D710 it was listed as "VK2JNG-10" (despite being sent from VK2JNG-12 RV D710) complete with indication that it was sent from a D710 plus QSY frequency.

      Messaging:

      d. From VK2JNG-12 RV D710...to...VK2JNG-9 Car D710:
      Auto reply from VK2JNG-9 Car D710 received on VK2JNG-12 RV D710 and APRSIS32
      No acknowledge message received by VK2JNG-12 RV D710 from VK2JNG-9 Car D710
      Message was reveived by VK2JNG-9 Car D710 as coming from VK2JNG-10 APRSIS32 despite being sent from VK2JNG-12 RV D710

      e. From VK2JNG-10 APRSIS32...to...VK2JNG-9 Car D710:
      Received acknowledgement from VK2JNG-9 Car D710 on VK2JNG-12 RV D710 and received acknowledgement from VK2JNG-9 Car D710 on APRSIS32.
      Message was ofcourse received by VK2JNG-9 Car D710

      f. From VK2JNG-9 Car D710...to...VK2JNG-12 RV D710:
      Received acknowledgement from VK2JNG-12 RV D710 but also received "Auto reply" from APRSIS32 (VK2JNG-10)with the auto reply message programmed in VK2JNG-12 RV D710.
      VK2JNG-12 ofcourse received the message from VK2JNG-9 Car D710

      g. From VK2JNG-9 Car D710 ...to... VK2JNG-10 APRSIS32:
      Received acknowledgement from VK2JNG-10 APRSIS32.
      VK2JNG-10 APRSIS32 received message from VK2JNG-9 Car D710 and the message was also on VK2JNG-12 RV D710.

      I sincerely hope I am not confusing anyone with the above and if there is anything I can assist with I would be delighted to do so,

      Gerard
      VK2JNG