Re: Minimum computer system requirements for APRSIS32

  • mm1ptt
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
      I am running APRSIS32 on a old Dell laptop; PII 233 MHz and 128mb of ram with Windows 2000 on a 8gb compact flash card. The old hard drive was very noisy so I replaced it with the compact flash. I think this probably the minimum requirements for Win2k, anything less and it would struggle.

      That old machine runs APRSIS32, UI-View, UISS, AGWPE, AGW monitor and Teamviewer all the same time functioning as an RX only iGate listening for local 2m traffic, ISS downlink and 20m NET14 traffic. It works away quite happily but it does have some help from a KAM hardware TNC for 2m and 20m. The ISS downlink at the moment is decoded in software using AGWPE.

      I was planning to upgrade the computer so I could use UZ7HO's soundcard modem and Cross Country Wireless' APRS messenger to decode 30m traffic at the same time, but I've put that idea on hold as I would like to move the complete system to run on a raspberry pi board when they become readily available.

      Chris, MM1PTT

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Miller" <mike.kc9doa@...> wrote:

      > Or a newer OS. Most anything that will run Win98 will run
      > Windows 2000 Pro.
      >
      > Mike kc9doa
      >
      > On 4 Mar 2012 at 22:11, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
      >
      > > Probably the most advanced API I use is AlphaBlend which says a
      > > minimum
      > > of Windows 2000 Professional. As Win98 predates 2000, I
      > > suspect that
      > > APRSISCE/32 won't work on Win98. Sorry, but you'll need a bit
      > > newer
      > > hardware.
      > >
      > > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and
      > > Win32
      > >
      > > On 3/4/2012 10:05 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
      > > > Doubtful, but let me know if it works.
      > > >
      > > > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and
      > > Win32

      > > Win98 into service.

    • Tony Hunt
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
        Lynn / Doug .

        Ive managed to make it work on a Windows ME machine for about 24 hours before the machine slows down and the clock starts to loose time. It is a Pentium 300 with 196 Megs of ram. To do this I installed a thing called Kernel EX which is a compatibility layer for Win ME and 98.
        Ive no real idea why the clock ran slow and the machine died . It showed a lot of promise.
        It could just have been a Pentium quirk or a lack of ram in the end. I gave it away and run BPQAPRS on that machine now which works with OSM and proves very stable.

        Tony Hunt  VK5AH

      • Doug Ferrell
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
          thanks for the info Tony.

          I was just trying to use this cute little ole HP for something... figured it would run this software. I know Win98 is long in the tooth so to speak... just hate to waste computers.

          Not knowing the software/hardware requirements (.Net etc)  makes it kinda of difficult to choose the appropriate OS.

          I do have some later hardware (and I have Win2K) so I'll give it ago on  that.

          ...DOUG
          KD4MOJ

        • notrobbage
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012

            > Doubtful, but let me know if it works.

            > On 3/4/2012 8:52 PM, Doug Ferrell wrote:
            > >
            > > Didn't find it on the wiki... would like to put an ole Win98 into service.
            > >

            > > ...DOUG, KD4MOJ

            Didn't work on Win98 for me. There's a message some thing like 'requires a later version of the operating system'