Re: [aprsisce] Re: Kenwood D710 Development Release

    Message 1 of 11 , May 30, 2010
    Lynn,

    I played with the new version a bit today in APRS mode.

    Looks like your intent is to still usurp control from the D710. You're
    shutting off the beacon, and having APRSISCE/32 do all the work. Not
    quite what I had in mind, but then there are lots of ways to skin a
    cat.

    It looks like all the settings get pushed to the D710 even if the log
    of activity shows a bunch of errors. I was playing with setting up the
    commands so that the frequency got changed to somewhere that packets
    wouldn't get injected into the serial data stream while you were
    sending commands and waiting for responses. I also tried to figure out
    how to shut off the GPS so the incoming GPS strings would not
    interrupt as well. Changing frequency is easy as Kai has that
    documented. Shutting off the GPS is a little harder as we don't quite
    know the command syntax. I'm pretty sure I know what the command
    response looks like though. Probably a moot point if the commands work
    fine without the responses getting back.

    In the previous version, I used to get a bunch of my callsign entries
    scrolling up, each associated with an incoming GPS string. Really
    annoying, and given that the GPS information didn't actually get
    picked up by the program, useless.

    Now I see the GPS data works, and doesn't show up in the scrolling
    sidebar. This is a good thing, now I don't need to feed another GPS
    into the laptop.

    When I had my USB GPS connected, I got the current speed displayed in
    the upper left, and had a message in the lower right side of the
    screen. With the D710 stream being parsed to provide GPS information,
    can you put the same information on the screen from that data?

    There's what appears to be a max quiet time setting, which will cause
    the program to try and reinitialize the port after XXX seconds of no
    activity. It appears to work, as I got a few port resets today, which
    I am assuming is because of the 120 second timer I set up. Given that
    the port has activity almost constantly with GPS data showing up, why
    would the port time out due to inactivity?

    Now back to the "Who's in control here?" issue...

    With APRSISCE/32 sending packets, I don't get confirmation beeps
    saying that MY PACKET was heard. (Because my D710 callsign is VE6SRV,
    but APRSIS/32 is VE6SRV-9 and APRSISCE/32 doesn't set MYCALL in the
    D710) That's not necessarily a bad thing in my mind though.

    If I hit FUNCTION VFO to get to the APRS menu, and simply re-enter my
    callsign, the D710 will send a beacon immediately, and revert to it's
    original programming, sending packets as it was scheduled
    (SmartBeaconing in my case). Looks like the settings in the control
    head all get sent out to the TNC overwriting the settings written by
    APRSISCE/32.

    Have a look at my tracks
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aprsisce/photos/album/1825472085/pic/list

    I did 2 laps of Curlew and Crane with VE6SRV-9 being sent from
    APRSISCE/32, and then drove out on Heron, out to Applewood. I gave
    control to the D710 as I entered Meadowood, and along Rosewood, Alder
    and Falcon, the D710 beaconed at VE6SRV. The two overlapping orange
    and blue lines from Meadowood to the truck icon are false tracks due
    to the different callsigns switching places mid stream.

    This makes things interesting... I end up with a truck chasing me
    around the screen called VE6SRV. I turned off BEACONING in
    APRSISCE/32, and let the D710 do its thing. However occasionally the
    quiet time timer triggers, and APRSISCE/32 tries to take control
    again. I'm thinking all I need to do is remove the BE 0 command, and
    that should let the D710 keep on doing its thing.

    I like this mode, I changed my APRSISCE/32 icon to a red dot, and away
    I went. The screen stays centered on my current location, and the
    little red truck icon called VE6SRV shows me where the last position
    report I sent was heard after being digipeated.

    I had tracking turned on, so I had a little black line getting
    stretched from my starting location to my current location. I'm not
    sure if I can get rid of that without having to turn off all of the
    tracks from other stations or not just yet.

    I played with messaging with BEACONING turned off, and it worked out
    nicely. Sending a message from APRSISCE/32 as VE6SRV-9 to my D7
    VE6SRV-7 worked nicely, and the D710 got all excited and saved a copy
    of the message in it's inbox (as per Kenwood, the D710 saves any
    message sent to the base callsign disregarding the SSID, but will not
    ACK unless the SSID matches) Sending a reply back to APRSISCE/32 works
    the same, with both the D710 and APRSISCE/32 getting copies of the
    message...

    I'm obviously not using the D710 APRS mode in the manner you intended,
    but with a little tweaking of the <OpenCommand>s that you send, I can
    make the program do what I want.

    BTW, if the D710 is in control of sending the beacons, it can send the
    frequency tuned to on the other VFO, which can't be done by
    APRSISCE/32 currently. If instead of building a packet and sending it
    from APRSISCE/32, you simply forced a beacon from the D710, that
    frequency information would be available. Hmm, going to have to look
    to see if one can send a command that duplicates the BCON button press
    or not. Maybe not now that I think about it. You could of course read
    the frequency and create your own version of the comment.

    You've got the major framework in place now, parsing the information
    being passed out the COM port, the rest is cosmetics!

  • jandgandjochem
    Message 2 of 11 , May 31, 2010

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I just released a new Development version that supposedly supports
      > Kenwood D710s differently than I had before. To anyone that wants to
      > give it a shakedown, please disable any existing RF Port and create a
      > new one. There are two types to choose from:
      >
      > KWD710(Pkt)
      >
      > This will run the D710 in packet mode disabling all of the APRS features
      > of the device. It's actually much better to run it in KISS mode from a
      > throughput and overhead standpoint, but at least in this mode, if you
      > have a GPS connected to the D710, APRSISCE/32 will pick up its current
      > position via that connection even if you have no other GPS connected to
      > the client.
      >
      > KWD710(APRS)
      >
      > Credit to Kai Gunter LA3QMA for recommending this mode. This allows the
      > D710 to remain in APRS mode retaining all of the display features while
      > still passing received APRS packets via the control head's serial port
      > to APRSISCE/32. Again, if you have a GPS connected to the D710,
      > APRSISCE/32 will pick up a current position from that connection.
      >
      > Full transmit functionality is available in APRSISCE/32 in both D710
      > modes. Messages, beacons, telemetry, IGate status can all be
      > transmitted out the RF channel. APRSISCE/32 will act as a bi-direction
      > IGate as well if you have APRS-IS enabled and connected.
      >
      > It is most reliable if the D710's TNC is completely turned off when you
      > enable either of these two modes. Appropriate initialization commands
      > will be sent to the TNC to establish the mode such that APRSISCE/32 can
      > communicate with it. When the RFPort is disabled or the client is
      > exited, the TNC is closed and returned to an inactive state. You can
      > always mess with the <OpenCmd> and <CloseCmd> tags to change this
      > behavior if you want to experiment.
      >
      > Let me know if any of you give these new modes a try. I'm anxious to
      > see if it works for you as it seems to work for me. BTW, hopefully I'll
      > be mobile tomorrow and the next day as KJ4ERJ-12 communicating through
      > Steve Hansen (KB1TCE)'s D710 that he graciously loaned me a few weeks
      > ago and has allowed me to keep far longer than I had hoped to need it.
      > If the next two days go well, the unit will be returned to him on
      > Tuesday, so get your bug reports in to me quickly!

      > PS. KJ4ERJ-12 runs on my AT&T Tilt cellphone and is talking to the D710
      > TNC via a Bluetooth to serial link. Wireless from the radio to the
      > phone and cellular data connection to APRS-IS from there!

      I also had a bit of a play today with the new development version.

      My setup is as follows:
      1. Laptop running APRSIS32 in RV Callsign VK2JNG-10
      2. 1 off TM-D710 in RV and hooked up to 1 above Callsign VK2JNG-12
      3. 1 off TM-D710 in Car Callsign VK2JNG-9

      Note that both D710's are set up for "auto answer"

      I ran a test on beaconing and messaging as follows:

      Beaconing:
      a. From VK2JNG-9 Car D710......Put VK2JNG-9 on the screen and put VK2JNG-9 on the list of VK2JNG-12 RV D710 complete with QSY Frequency

      b. From VK2JNG-10 APRSIS32........Nothing appeared on VK2JNG-12 RV D710 and yes it appeared on VK2JNG-9 Car D710 list as VK2JNG-10

      c. From VK2JNG-12 RV D710.......Nothing on APRSIS32 but on VK2JNG-9 Car D710 it was listed as "VK2JNG-10" (despite being sent from VK2JNG-12 RV D710) complete with indication that it was sent from a D710 plus QSY frequency.

      Messaging:

      d. From VK2JNG-12 RV D710...to...VK2JNG-9 Car D710:
      Auto reply from VK2JNG-9 Car D710 received on VK2JNG-12 RV D710 and APRSIS32
      No acknowledge message received by VK2JNG-12 RV D710 from VK2JNG-9 Car D710
      Message was reveived by VK2JNG-9 Car D710 as coming from VK2JNG-10 APRSIS32 despite being sent from VK2JNG-12 RV D710

      e. From VK2JNG-10 APRSIS32...to...VK2JNG-9 Car D710:
      Received acknowledgement from VK2JNG-9 Car D710 on VK2JNG-12 RV D710 and received acknowledgement from VK2JNG-9 Car D710 on APRSIS32.
      Message was ofcourse received by VK2JNG-9 Car D710

      f. From VK2JNG-9 Car D710...to...VK2JNG-12 RV D710:
      Received acknowledgement from VK2JNG-12 RV D710 but also received "Auto reply" from APRSIS32 (VK2JNG-10)with the auto reply message programmed in VK2JNG-12 RV D710.
      VK2JNG-12 ofcourse received the message from VK2JNG-9 Car D710

      g. From VK2JNG-9 Car D710 ...to... VK2JNG-10 APRSIS32:
      Received acknowledgement from VK2JNG-10 APRSIS32.
      VK2JNG-10 APRSIS32 received message from VK2JNG-9 Car D710 and the message was also on VK2JNG-12 RV D710.

      I sincerely hope I am not confusing anyone with the above and if there is anything I can assist with I would be delighted to do so,

      Gerard
      VK2JNG