Posit Age Visibility

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2012
      On 3/1/2012 3:51 PM, Brad Dennis wrote:
      This may be in your future plans but we didn’t know if we had stale entries on the map.  Was this something in your list of “to do” items?

      What you could have done is set the following parameters in the APRSIS32.XML file to tighter values (they're in minutes).

      <Stations.MinAge>30</Stations.MinAge>
      <Stations.MaxAge>120</Stations.MaxAge>
      <Stations.MaxAge.Buddy>0</Stations.MaxAge.Buddy>

      Stations less than MinAge will stay fully opaque.  Between Min and Max, they will fade out and finally disappear completely at the MaxAge UNLESS they're "Buddies" which includes all stations centered in any MultiTrack.   Buddies use the third age parameter which, for your purposes, would probably have been set the same as MaxAge.  And Buddies NEVER disappear, they just fade to 5% and sit there, almost invisible.

      So, if MinAge was 5 and MaxAge & MaxAge.Buddy were 15 (assuming you expected stations to continue beaconing at least that often), then you'd have had a good visual on the freshness of the position based on the opacity of the symbol.  Eventually these will be online-configurable.

      I did see your suggestion of coloring the station label and am considering it as well.  Green are recent, yellow are older, and Red are past their prime.