RE: [aprsisce] Mapquest Tile Server

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
    I already tested the tile server and it is functioning the same.

    The two screen shots are of my server settings and of the tile addressed directly in Firefox.

    Message 2 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
      The log file isn't what I need.  I need your Tile Server configuration and what area of the country you're looking at (centering on what station?) when  it crashes.  I suspect they're serving up corrupted tiles that my PNG importer is crashing on.  I just try the MQ Aireal views and it worked fine.  The tile server was slow and timing out, but eventually the tiles came in and displayed without a crash.

      On 2/29/2012 2:40 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
      I found that every time I try to access the MapQuest tiles I get the error. It will always crash ARPSIS32. All the other tiles I access appear to be fine. I copied my OSM log file and sent it earlier.

      Fred, N7FMH

    Message 3 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
      Ah, the tile is now a JPEG.

      Message 4 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
        Unless I am totally confused. It wouldn't be the first time.

        Message 5 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
          <!--TileServer[4]-->
          <TileServer Name="MapquestOSM">
          <Server>otile3.mqcdn.com</Server>
          <Port>80</Port>
          <URLPrefix>/tiles/1.0.0/osm/</URLPrefix>
          <SupportsStatus>1</SupportsStatus>
          <Path>C:\Personal\APRSIS32-2\OSMTiles\MapQuestOSM/</Path>
          <PurgeEnabled>0</PurgeEnabled>
          <RetainDays>0</RetainDays>
          <RetainZoom>5</RetainZoom>
          <MinServerZoom>0</MinServerZoom>
          <MaxServerZoom>18</MaxServerZoom>
          <RevisionHours>0</RevisionHours>
          </TileServer>
          <!--TileServer[4]-->

          Message 6 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
            Don't you just LOVE it?

            http://otile3.mqcdn.com/tiles/1.0.0/osm/10/283/429.png

            returns an image that's much too grainy for an OSM PNG and when you ask Firefox for the Image Info, it shows:

            So, the file extension says PNG, but the image itself is JPEG.  Consider the same tile fetched directly from the OSM tile server:

            http://tile.openstreetmap.org/10/283/429.png

            2K smaller and MUCH sharper.  What's with MapQuest anyway?

            Ah, the tile is now a JPEG.

              Message 8 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
                They must have change fairly recently.

                I find that chasing servers can be a bit like herding cats.

                Message 9 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
                  Thank you!

                  Fred, N7FMH

                    Message 11 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
                      Thanks for the reminder.  I just pushed out 2012-02-29 16:15 that fixes the mapquest death.  The JPEG masquerading as PNG tiles won't display, but at least the client will quit crashing.

                      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                      On 2/29/2012 11:06 PM, Greg Dolkas wrote: Hi Lynn,

                        Message 13 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
                          On 3/1/2012 12:32 AM, Greg Dolkas wrote:
                          By the way, did the older version of APRSISCE/32 handle the "corrupt" tiles differently than the new one, or did we just not notice the map-server changes?

                          The actual handling code hasn't changed, but in some cases it was leaking a small bit of memory if the screen tried to use a tile while it was still being downloaded.  I got a bit overzealous in fixing that leak and ended up double-freeing a piece when the tile fails to load, in this case because it's a JPEG, not a PNG.

                          So, JPEGs would never display, but only in the most recent update (before this one) would APRSIS32 crash.  Interestingly, APRSISCE on WinMo should work fine as it uses a different API to load the map tile images and that API handles all forms of image sources.  Unfortunately, it's a WinMo-only API that isn't available on Windows desktop machines.  Go figure, the small platform has more capable APIs, but yet uSoft claims that "Windows is Windows".

                        • Greg Dolkas

                            Message 15 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
                              Just for the record, my copy crashed this morning on the original tile
                              set. It's not only MapQuest causing the issue, but MapQuest seems to
                              be coughing up more funky tiles than the others.