RE: [aprsisce] Mapquest Tile Server

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
    I just tried to switch over and got errors. Image1 was first, I ignored and received Image2.

    I haven't tried anything else yet.

    Message 2 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 25 KB
    Hmm, I tried other map tiles and I have not found the same errors yet. I also checked my server data and it is still valid.
    I attached a LOG file for OSM. I cleared it prior to changing the tile set.

    Message 3 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
      I just got the same error... no f: drive on this system, so it looks like Lynn has an explicit call to the debug heap routines.

      Message 4 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
        I don't explicitly call the debug heap, nor do I have an F: drive either, but that's what the uSoft Visual Studio puts in.

        I really need you to figure out how to duplicate this error so I can fix it.  Is it reproducible on demand?  Or do you have any hint on when/how it happens?

        On 2/29/2012 10:57 AM, James Ewen wrote: I just got the same error... no f: drive on this system, so it looks like Lynn has an explicit call to the debug heap routines.

        Message 5 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
          It probably has less to do with the latest version and more to do with Mapquest changing or removing their tile server.

          What settings are you running and what do you get in a browser if you hit that server with 0/0/0.png?  I suspect they're returning an HTML error page rather than a map tile.

          Message 6 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
            I found that every time I try to access the MapQuest tiles I get the error. It will always crash ARPSIS32. All the other tiles I access appear to be fine. I copied my OSM log file and sent it earlier.

            Fred, N7FMH

            Message 7 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
            I already tested the tile server and it is functioning the same.

            The two screen shots are of my server settings and of the tile addressed directly in Firefox.

            Message 8 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
              The log file isn't what I need.  I need your Tile Server configuration and what area of the country you're looking at (centering on what station?) when  it crashes.  I suspect they're serving up corrupted tiles that my PNG importer is crashing on.  I just try the MQ Aireal views and it worked fine.  The tile server was slow and timing out, but eventually the tiles came in and displayed without a crash.

            Message 9 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
              Ah, the tile is now a JPEG.

              Message 10 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
                Unless I am totally confused. It wouldn't be the first time.

                Message 11 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
                  <!--TileServer[4]-->
                  <TileServer Name="MapquestOSM">
                  <Server>otile3.mqcdn.com</Server>
                  <Port>80</Port>
                  <URLPrefix>/tiles/1.0.0/osm/</URLPrefix>
                  <SupportsStatus>1</SupportsStatus>
                  <Path>C:\Personal\APRSIS32-2\OSMTiles\MapQuestOSM/</Path>
                  <PurgeEnabled>0</PurgeEnabled>
                  <RetainDays>0</RetainDays>
                  <RetainZoom>5</RetainZoom>
                  <MinServerZoom>0</MinServerZoom>
                  <MaxServerZoom>18</MaxServerZoom>
                  <RevisionHours>0</RevisionHours>
                  </TileServer>
                  <!--TileServer[4]-->

                  Message 12 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
                    Don't you just LOVE it?

                    http://otile3.mqcdn.com/tiles/1.0.0/osm/10/283/429.png

                    returns an image that's much too grainy for an OSM PNG and when you ask Firefox for the Image Info, it shows:

                    So, the file extension says PNG, but the image itself is JPEG.  Consider the same tile fetched directly from the OSM tile server:

                    http://tile.openstreetmap.org/10/283/429.png

                    2K smaller and MUCH sharper.  What's with MapQuest anyway?

                    Ah, the tile is now a JPEG.

                      Message 14 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
                        They must have change fairly recently.

                        I find that chasing servers can be a bit like herding cats.

                        Message 15 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
                          Thank you!

                          Fred, N7FMH

                            Message 17 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
                              Thanks for the reminder.  I just pushed out 2012-02-29 16:15 that fixes the mapquest death.  The JPEG masquerading as PNG tiles won't display, but at least the client will quit crashing.

                              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                              On 2/29/2012 11:06 PM, Greg Dolkas wrote: Hi Lynn,

                                Message 19 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
                                  On 3/1/2012 12:32 AM, Greg Dolkas wrote:
                                  By the way, did the older version of APRSISCE/32 handle the "corrupt" tiles differently than the new one, or did we just not notice the map-server changes?

                                  The actual handling code hasn't changed, but in some cases it was leaking a small bit of memory if the screen tried to use a tile while it was still being downloaded.  I got a bit overzealous in fixing that leak and ended up double-freeing a piece when the tile fails to load, in this case because it's a JPEG, not a PNG.

                                  So, JPEGs would never display, but only in the most recent update (before this one) would APRSIS32 crash.  Interestingly, APRSISCE on WinMo should work fine as it uses a different API to load the map tile images and that API handles all forms of image sources.  Unfortunately, it's a WinMo-only API that isn't available on Windows desktop machines.  Go figure, the small platform has more capable APIs, but yet uSoft claims that "Windows is Windows".

                                • Greg Dolkas

                                    Message 21 of 22 , Feb 29, 2012
                                      Just for the record, my copy crashed this morning on the original tile
                                      set. It's not only MapQuest causing the issue, but MapQuest seems to
                                      be coughing up more funky tiles than the others.