Re: [aprsisce] Will the real "Tracking", please stand up?

  • kd4dra@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2010
      KD4DRA Likes the new follow and especially the FIND. I don't have to remember the call if they have been heard its there, THANKS Lynn. 73. Rick

      From: "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...>
      Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 07:43:38 -0400
      To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [aprsisce] Will the real "Tracking", please stand up?

      James has a laptop that really doesn't like writing to the disk and has
      been pointing out my consistent, but confusing use of the words "Track"
      and "Tracking", so there's a new development release just out that does
      the following (Keep the suggestions coming!):

      Adds an Enables / CSV Enabled that turns on and off (default off) the
      date/time'd .CSV files you've been seeing. These files use
      runtime-library-buffered file I/O to record each beacon position for
      offline use. They used to be forced on when you were live "Tracking"
      (now Beaconing) and the GPS was enabled. They are now only created if
      you explicitly turn them on.

      Enables / Tracking Enabled is now Enables / Beaconing Enabled. A Beacon
      is the position and/or status APRS packet. If you turn Beaconing off,
      the world will not be told where you are or what you're up to. From now
      own (as long as I remember), anything to do with position packets will
      be called a "Beacon".

      Screen / Tracking... is now Screen / Follow... - Any reference to seeing
      another station on the screen (including Me) will be referred to as
      "Following", be it Center and/or Locked.

      Screen / Tracks and View / Tracks still refer to the accumulated line
      (Track) of a station's received (or generated) positions. Screen /
      Tracks toggles whether or not tracks are drawn on the screen and View /
      Tracks will display stations that actually have a track (ie have
      actually moved). Eventually, there'll be a "Save Track" popup menu
      option on stations and an "Auto-Save Track" configuration option that
      will write said tracks out to a GPX file. Sometime after that point,
      the CSV file support will be removed as GPX files are much more useful
      (unless there's an overwhelming desire to keep the CSV file, but I
      suspect I may be the only one that uses them).

      PS. James, let me know if I managed to finally get it less confusing.