Re: [aprsisce] Re: Setting Up Fill - Digi

    Message 1 of 46 , Feb 1, 2012
      On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM, kc2nyu <eckerpw@...> wrote:

      > > Nothing is being sent out from any of your stations that might be
      > > currently running. Everything is at least 1 or 2 days old.
      >
      > --- I know, I checked also and saw the same bad information.
      > I have had APRSIS32 running since mid-day

      You're in a class of your own, 'cuz we aren't seeing you.

      > ---- I have a passcode inserted

      When did you put that in? Do you have the correct passcode? I just
      checked the server that you are connected to, and it STILL says you
      are unverified. Disconnect, check the passcode, and try reconnecting.

      > ---- Program is running, Call sign is in, map is pointed at house,
      > Rf port is tied to to TNC and radio and the digipeat line was added.
      > -- When I hit Transmit in APRSIS32, The radio goes to TX, but still
      > nt seeing updates in APRS.fi

      Okay, what frequency are you transmitting on? You say you have
      stations scrolling up the scroller, so you should be receiving on
      144.390. Do you have an offset accidentally enabled? Can you hear
      KC2NYU-1 on KC2NYU-7, your HT?

      KW4B-1 can hear your HT, so it should hear your home station is you
      have a radio and antenna tied to the TNC. If you were getting out to
      the local RF network, you should get packets into the APRS-IS
      regardless of whether the passcode is good or not.

      > ---- The entire left side of the screen, the scroller is full of stations and is constantly changing

      Hmm, I guess I can't assume that your TNC is set up properly, as the
      stations in the scroller could be coming from the APRS-IS stream, and
      not RF...

      > --- Haven't gone there yet

      I would have a few days ago... you can simply shut down APRSISCE/32,
      rename the config file, and then start up APRSISCE/32 again. It will
      prompt you through setting up again. If it starts working, then you've
      gotten something screwed up in the other config file. You can easily
      back to the original name.

      Of course Lynn wants to see your current config file, so hopefully
      you've sent that off to him.

      Message 46 of 46 , Feb 2, 2012
        On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM, kc2nyu <eckerpw@...> wrote:

        > Sometimes best way to learn is to jump into deep end with all clothes on.

        That often leads to a lot of splashing and carrying on as well!

        Have a look and see what you've been up to in a little better than a
        day... 211 packets gated to the net already.

        http://aprs.fi/gated/a/KC2NYU-1

        You can see that there are users in the area that are making use of your i-gate.

        Now your next task is to see if you can educate your neighbor KW4B
        that a digipeater shouldn't use an outgoing path of WIDE1-1. WIDE1-1
        should only be used by low powered stations that need help getting
        into the local digipeaters. Home stations should never run with
        WIDE1-1 in their path. A digipeater should NEVER need help from a home
        fill-in station. If the digipeater needs help from a home fill-in
        station to be heard, then it really should be turned off. Main
        digipeaters need to be situated where they can hear for a good
        distance around them. Just like a voice repeater, putting a digipeater
        in a spot where it can't hear anything is a waste of time.

        If you look at the packets of KW4B, you can see that with the path he
        is using, it was hit or miss as to whether the packets made it to the
        internet. Once your i-gate came online, the graphs jump up because he
        can get to the internet through your gate.

        http://aprs.fi/info/graphs/a/KW4B

        This digipeater is using a path of simply WIDE1-1. It should be
        changed to something like WIDE2-1. The same goes for his other
        digipeater KW4B-1. He's currently using a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 over
        there. The WIDE1-1 needs to go.

        We're getting away from APRSISCE/32 specific things, and really
        wandering into general APRS theory, so it's about time to tie the
        ribbons on this thread.

        Go play with APRSISCE/32, and have a look at all the bells and
        whistles available now that you have gotten started learning the
        basics of APRS operations.