Re: [aprsisce] Re: Setting Up Fill - Digi

    Message 1 of 46 , Feb 1 1:48 PM
      On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      > James, you hit the nail on the head.  He needs to put in the proper
      > APRS-IS passcode for Igating to work.
      >
      > I'm seeing traffic via my direct RF logging feed, but nothing coming
      > through APRS-IS from his station.

      Hopefully you were a nice guy and sent him his passcode for the APRS-IS servers.

      Message 46 of 46 , Feb 2 7:45 PM
        On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM, kc2nyu <eckerpw@...> wrote:

        > Sometimes best way to learn is to jump into deep end with all clothes on.

        That often leads to a lot of splashing and carrying on as well!

        Have a look and see what you've been up to in a little better than a
        day... 211 packets gated to the net already.

        http://aprs.fi/gated/a/KC2NYU-1

        You can see that there are users in the area that are making use of your i-gate.

        Now your next task is to see if you can educate your neighbor KW4B
        that a digipeater shouldn't use an outgoing path of WIDE1-1. WIDE1-1
        should only be used by low powered stations that need help getting
        into the local digipeaters. Home stations should never run with
        WIDE1-1 in their path. A digipeater should NEVER need help from a home
        fill-in station. If the digipeater needs help from a home fill-in
        station to be heard, then it really should be turned off. Main
        digipeaters need to be situated where they can hear for a good
        distance around them. Just like a voice repeater, putting a digipeater
        in a spot where it can't hear anything is a waste of time.

        If you look at the packets of KW4B, you can see that with the path he
        is using, it was hit or miss as to whether the packets made it to the
        internet. Once your i-gate came online, the graphs jump up because he
        can get to the internet through your gate.

        http://aprs.fi/info/graphs/a/KW4B

        This digipeater is using a path of simply WIDE1-1. It should be
        changed to something like WIDE2-1. The same goes for his other
        digipeater KW4B-1. He's currently using a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 over
        there. The WIDE1-1 needs to go.

        We're getting away from APRSISCE/32 specific things, and really
        wandering into general APRS theory, so it's about time to tie the
        ribbons on this thread.

        Go play with APRSISCE/32, and have a look at all the bells and
        whistles available now that you have gotten started learning the
        basics of APRS operations.