Re: [aprsisce] Re: Setting Up Fill - Digi

    Message 1 of 46 , Feb 1, 2012
      On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM, kc2nyu <eckerpw@...> wrote:

      > I have made APRSIS KC2NYU-1 and AGWTracker KC2NYU-0, but don't plan to turn on AGWTracker

      Okay... I had a look at aprs.fi for your stations:

      http://aprs.fi/?call=kc2nyu*

      Nothing is being sent out from any of your stations that might be
      currently running. Everything is at least 1 or 2 days old.

      > > If you leave the program running connected to the APRS-IS stream, then
      > > we can see some of what you are doing.
      >
      > -- Not sure what you mean by "leave prgm connected to APRS-IS stream?
      > Under Enables I have APRS-IS checked.

      I mean have APRSISCE/32 running on your computer, with APRS-IS
      enabled, transmit enabled, and a whole host of other things enabled...
      I can't remember all the ways you can disable transmitting... Lynn
      needs to jump in here with the big old checklist. One thing we really
      haven't touched on yet, is do you have the passcode for the APRS-IS
      servers?

      Right now, from what we can see, it looks like you haven't had
      APRSISCE/32 running for nearly 2 days. Lynn has the program set up
      dead simple for getting you going. Start the program, put your
      callsign in, point the map at your house and hit transmit. If you put
      the passcode in, then you can interact with people on RF. Add in a RF
      port tied into your TNC/radio, and you'll be on the local RF network,
      acting as an i-gate. Since you wanted to play digipeater, that simple
      one line addition to the XML would have you going.

      Of course if you've been poking at all kinds of stuff in APRSISCE/32,
      you might have a lot of things disabled, or otherwise discombobulated!

      > > You just did it! 8) Do it again! Move the screen so the crosshairs are
      > > on your desired location, and hit Transmit. You will be asked again if
      > > you want to move to center, which you should answer Yes to if you want
      > > to place your station at that location.
      >
      > --- Done

      Okay, you're not getting any transmission out on RF or to the APRS-IS.
      Your icon is still up by Newington, when your comments and your QRZ
      page say that you live on Skidaway Island.

      We're going to have to get you figured out so that you have a program
      that is actually doing what it is supposed to do. Do you see any
      stations other than your own on the screen?

      I think the easiest way to get you going would be to have you delete
      the XML config file, and start over again from scratch.

      Message 46 of 46 , Feb 2, 2012
        On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM, kc2nyu <eckerpw@...> wrote:

        > Sometimes best way to learn is to jump into deep end with all clothes on.

        That often leads to a lot of splashing and carrying on as well!

        Have a look and see what you've been up to in a little better than a
        day... 211 packets gated to the net already.

        http://aprs.fi/gated/a/KC2NYU-1

        You can see that there are users in the area that are making use of your i-gate.

        Now your next task is to see if you can educate your neighbor KW4B
        that a digipeater shouldn't use an outgoing path of WIDE1-1. WIDE1-1
        should only be used by low powered stations that need help getting
        into the local digipeaters. Home stations should never run with
        WIDE1-1 in their path. A digipeater should NEVER need help from a home
        fill-in station. If the digipeater needs help from a home fill-in
        station to be heard, then it really should be turned off. Main
        digipeaters need to be situated where they can hear for a good
        distance around them. Just like a voice repeater, putting a digipeater
        in a spot where it can't hear anything is a waste of time.

        If you look at the packets of KW4B, you can see that with the path he
        is using, it was hit or miss as to whether the packets made it to the
        internet. Once your i-gate came online, the graphs jump up because he
        can get to the internet through your gate.

        http://aprs.fi/info/graphs/a/KW4B

        This digipeater is using a path of simply WIDE1-1. It should be
        changed to something like WIDE2-1. The same goes for his other
        digipeater KW4B-1. He's currently using a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 over
        there. The WIDE1-1 needs to go.

        We're getting away from APRSISCE/32 specific things, and really
        wandering into general APRS theory, so it's about time to tie the
        ribbons on this thread.

        Go play with APRSISCE/32, and have a look at all the bells and
        whistles available now that you have gotten started learning the
        basics of APRS operations.