Re: Setting Up Fill - Digi

  • kc2nyu
    Message 1 of 46 , Feb 1, 2012
      --- I have been out of town a bit, so just getting back to solving my issues with my station and APRSIS32. I have tried to digest all the suggestions and corrective actions put forward by the group, and believe I have implemented them and have my APRS radio back on, AWG PE and the T2 running. My comments embedded   below in bold

      ---- James understand and very much appreciate all the time you have devoted to answering my questions. also thanks for the great explanation of editing XML.

      ----- I have the Beacon Path set at Wide2-1 and set the cross hairs on my real location and hit Tx. The icon for my station is appearing in the correct location on the APRSIS map on my PC. Not sure yet if that translating into correct packet being Tx'd

      > > I believe I have the basics of APRS,
      >
      > The above would look to show as evidence that you at one point were
      > missing some key concepts. Don't worry too much, there's a lot of
      > little things that can trip up a lot of people.
      >
      > > but certainly not the basics of APRSIS32, that's why I came to this group for help.
      >
      > One good thing about APRSISCE/32 is that it does most of the settings
      > for you, and won't let you create a packet mangled like the AGW packet
      > above.
      >
      > > So hopefully we can work through fixing these issues.
      >
      > Hopefully we can, but it sure would be nice to get the basics
      > corrected before trying to work on the extras.
      >
      > > > How many A{RSISCE/32 programs do you have running concurrently?
      > >
      > > --- according to Windows Task Mgr, only one.
      >
      > Okay, that keeps that out of the mix... NYU and NYU-1 were operating
      > at different times. Are you running APRSISCE/32 without any radio or
      > internet connections? We aren't seeing any activity from you
      > currently. The last packets heard were at about 3:30 MST.

      I have made APRSIS KC2NYU-1 and AGWTracker KC2NYU-0, but don't plan to turn on AGWTracker

      > If you leave the program running connected to the APRS-IS stream, then
      > we can see some of what you are doing.
      -- Not sure what you mean by "leave prgm connected to APRS-IS stream? Under Enables I have APRS-IS checked.
      With no RF port active, there's
      > no chance of causing issues on the RF network. Screwed up packets on
      > the APRS-IS aren't going to get people upset with you.
      >

      > > -- I beleive all I had running was APRSIS32, AWG PE, and the T2 tracker software
      >
      > The interleaved packets were older, with AGW as the source. They
      > aren't there anymore, so let's ignore that for now.
      >
      > > --- While in APRSIS, I hit the Tx and inadvertinly hit "move me to center",
      > > and couldn't figure out how to move it back to correct location
      >
      > You just did it! 8) Do it again! Move the screen so the crosshairs are
      > on your desired location, and hit Transmit. You will be asked again if
      > you want to move to center, which you should answer Yes to if you want
      > to place your station at that location.

      --- Done

      Message 46 of 46 , Feb 2, 2012
        On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM, kc2nyu <eckerpw@...> wrote:

        > Sometimes best way to learn is to jump into deep end with all clothes on.

        That often leads to a lot of splashing and carrying on as well!

        Have a look and see what you've been up to in a little better than a
        day... 211 packets gated to the net already.

        http://aprs.fi/gated/a/KC2NYU-1

        You can see that there are users in the area that are making use of your i-gate.

        Now your next task is to see if you can educate your neighbor KW4B
        that a digipeater shouldn't use an outgoing path of WIDE1-1. WIDE1-1
        should only be used by low powered stations that need help getting
        into the local digipeaters. Home stations should never run with
        WIDE1-1 in their path. A digipeater should NEVER need help from a home
        fill-in station. If the digipeater needs help from a home fill-in
        station to be heard, then it really should be turned off. Main
        digipeaters need to be situated where they can hear for a good
        distance around them. Just like a voice repeater, putting a digipeater
        in a spot where it can't hear anything is a waste of time.

        If you look at the packets of KW4B, you can see that with the path he
        is using, it was hit or miss as to whether the packets made it to the
        internet. Once your i-gate came online, the graphs jump up because he
        can get to the internet through your gate.

        http://aprs.fi/info/graphs/a/KW4B

        This digipeater is using a path of simply WIDE1-1. It should be
        changed to something like WIDE2-1. The same goes for his other
        digipeater KW4B-1. He's currently using a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 over
        there. The WIDE1-1 needs to go.

        We're getting away from APRSISCE/32 specific things, and really
        wandering into general APRS theory, so it's about time to tie the
        ribbons on this thread.

        Go play with APRSISCE/32, and have a look at all the bells and
        whistles available now that you have gotten started learning the
        basics of APRS operations.