Re: [aprsisce] Re: See RF Traffic (was: Display of Igated traffic by aprsis32)

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1, 2012
      Even if APRSISCE/32 had a similar MHEARD list or station table, it would
      still not show what you're after. When a station ages out of
      APRSISCE/32 due to not being heard from, it is completely removed, so
      you'd still not see stations that you heard yesterday.

      Of course, you could always change <Stations.MaxAge> in the XML file to
      some really big number (default is 120 minutes) and then View / RF / All
      would show you EVERYTHING you've heard within that window of time. And
      if you notice an "interesting" station, a single click would show the
      last time that station was heard.

      Oh, and the stations will fade out between <Stations.MinAge> and
      <Stations.MaxAge> so you get a good indication of which are current and
      which haven't been heard from in a while.

      PS. I've got to leave SOME things for other software to do that I
      haven't subsumed into APRSISCE/32, don't I? <grin>

      On 2/1/2012 8:24 AM, mm1ptt wrote:
      > As my TNC's (Hardware/soundcard) are controlled by AGWPE, I have another program running called 'AGWmonitor' solely for the Mheard list.
      >
      > It lists all the stations heard on each port since the program was last reset. I usually save the list of heard station and restart AGWmonitor once per month.
      >
      > AGWmonitor logs when each station was first and last heard, and if direct or via another station. If like me, you only look at your igate every couple of hours, or even days this information is very useful/interesting.
      >
      > AGWmonitor also displays all the RX/TX TNC activity but there is a limit on how much is stored before the oldest data gets deleted. For this function I would use the log files provided by APRSIS32.
      >
      > I find using this software with APRSIS32 is the easiest way to see the RF activity, since a tabled from of Mheard is missing in APRSIS32.
      > Chris
      > MM1PTT
      >
      > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)"<kj4erj@...> wrote:
      >> There are LOTS of ways to see just the RF traffic:
      >>
      >> 1) View / NONE followed by View / RF / All - The map will show only
      >> those stations you've heard via RF "recently" (30 minutes).
      >>
      >> 2) Watch for * in the scrolling packet log - if your -IS filter is
      >> broad, this can be hard
      >>
      >> 3) Check Configure / Scroller / RF Only (development version only, I think)
      >>
      >> 4) Make sure you're following ME (Screen / Follow / ME) and check View /
      >> NONE and then Screen / Paths / Appearance and check RF Only (top center)
      >> and Times/All or any other of the time ranges you'd like to see. This
      >> is also development version only, but it will show you all (or recent)
      >> paths that packets have taken from the originating station(s) through
      >> the digipeater(s) and destined for your station.
      >>
      >> 5) View / Logging /<YourPortName> and make sure it is enabled if you
      >> want to see the raw packet data.

      >> PS. See http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version to switch
      >> to the Development version.
      >>
      >> On 1/30/2012 9:28 AM, ltdoc wrote:
      >>> One method of finding only the 'RF' heard stations is to just turn off the internet connection. Or, disconnecting the receiver for only the Igated stations. (I know that isn't what you asked, but it's the simplest solution.)
      >>> I'm sure there's a programming option to do this but I'm not aware of it (I don't use the internet connection anyway).
      >>> - Paul

    • mm1ptt
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 1, 2012
        Before when I used UI-View as my VHF IGate, I still required the use of AWGmonitor for the reason you have just pointed out.
        The Mheard list in UI-view would only show the recently heard stations
        The Mheard list in AWGmonitor would show every heard station.

        > PS. I've got to leave SOME things for other software to do that I
        > haven't subsumed into APRSISCE/32, don't I? <grin>

        I agree, one example is the soundcard TNC. With AGWPE and UZ7HO soundmodem doing a good job there is little reason to implement a soundcard TNC directly into APRSIS32.

        I look at AGWmonitor as a sort of plug in/add on software, to have the Mheard form with APRSIS32 running as my igate.

        But I need to point out, that on my main computer (Win7 64bit) AGWmonitor is not so stable I have experienced a few crashes. My Igate runs on P11 233Mhz Win2000 Dell laptop where AGWmonitor has ran for months at a time without a problem.

        I think AGWmonitor may need an update similar to what AGWPE got back in AUG 2010 to fully support Win7. But unless there is demand for AGWmontor I dont expect SV2AGW to be working on it. The last development of AGWmonitor was April 2005.

        Chris.
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 1, 2012

          I thought I would stop as you have doubled it several times, especially due to the upcoming 50% bonus

          Torbay Freecycle Moderator