RE: [aprsisce] APRSIS/32 and Kenwood TH-D72 (Additional Info)

  • accts@kd5knr.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2012

      Using the KWD710(APRS) protocol, I have no issues with the D72 transmitting and/or passing GPS data from the radio to the computer. Make sure that GPS/NMEA is enabled on the Port Configuration, and of course make sure the GPS is turned on the D72, and you should be good. It is not necessary to "enable GPS" on the Enables menu. As far as should the radio be in APRS or PACKET mode; neither; let the program change the radio to APRS mode.

      This solution also works for the D710 mobile with the GPS attached to the D710.

      BTW, a few menu items to check on the D72:

      Internal GPS

      Menu 202 - PC Output [ON]: Turn this function on when you want to send the

      Internal GPS receiver data to the PC terminal.

      PC Port

      Menu 350 - Output [ON]: outputs data from the PC (USB) port <Baud Rate: 9600

      bps> after receiving packet and TNC command from the APRS data

      communications.

      One more (very important) note: The radio is connected to the computer using the USB port/cable. The COM port on the radio is for attaching an external GPS or weather station, it DOES NOT output TNC data.

      Billy Mason, KD5KNR