Re: [aprsisce] Re: OT Lifeboat

  • Colin M0XSD
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 29, 2012
      Hi Steve,

      Glad to hear it went well for you. Unfortunately I still don't feel well enough to do much operating, so I haven't manned the Lifeboat Station and therefore I haven't had an HF contact with you (I don't know whether you made contact with any of the others at GB4LBC yet). I am hoping we will be invited back next year & I will be well enough then.

      I am due to do a Talk/Demonstration about APRS at our Club tomorrow but since my Throat is still bad it will be mostly Demo with little Talk. This will manily be a follow up to my APRS-IS talk I did a while back mainly to show how to get connected to RF using one of our Clubs Netbooks and/or my old iPaq with my D7. And also setup someone elses Netbook with their D7, so it will be mainly a Practical Demo and Q&A session. So if you are around between about 1900z & 2100z you may see us active as MX0WRC.

      73 for now,
      Colin.

      On 28/01/2012 22:44, Steve Daniels wrote:

      Well just to report that the APRS tracking of the boat was a big success, !8 year old Conor M6CON was sent on a mission with his TT4 (once we figure how to get it to digi) to fill in the 1st hour as that was  the other side of a 200ft cliff.

      My home system covered the rest of the track, with a digipeater on the quay also, we did have a problem that the HF rig was locking up the laptop, so those that messaged yes I got you but was having trouble replying. Really you mostly used IS and about a 2 mile RF path but if you would like a QSL card let me know.

      The lifeboat crew were extremely impressed, and most came over to see the system, and we have been invited back for future events. Several APRS users managed to contact us on HF.

      Torbay Freecycle Moderator