WX Tiles

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2012
      Greetings,

      Every time we get some interesting weather in the area, I take another look
      at the radar tiles.

      So today, I did a little more looking. I loaded a direct link in my favorite
      web browser to a tile with weather on it and just did a refresh link every
      second or two. Every refresh returned a different WX picture. This was the
      link I played with for a bit while there was WX in the area.
      http://radarcache2.srh.noaa.gov/tc/tc.py/1.0.0/ridge/8/77/95.png

      If you want to look at this as well, find a tile with WX and replace the
      8/77/95 with your new Z, X and Y.

      It looks like the only way to get a pretty WX radar view is to add date and
      time. It updates every 5 minutes. For N0Q (and N0R) the date changes on even
      5 minute marks. I do not know how soon the latest set is actually available.
      Even though time may have passed the stamp in the examples below, it does
      not necessarily mean they are immediately available.

      This link has the tile type layer, year, date and time(UTC) included.
      http://radarcache2.srh.noaa.gov/tc/tc.py/1.0.0/ridge::NAT-N0Q-201201271945/8
      /77/95.png

      Disclaimer:
      As previously stated, this tile set does not come with support and while it
      does work with APRSISCE/32, it is certainly not ready for prime time. I am
      providing this purely for those like to research/play a bit and to provide
      some continuity with previous postings.

      PS. Just for grins, in addition to N0Q, there are 3 other sets as well. The
      NCR and NET appear to have a different update time.

      High Resolution Base Reflectivity - N0Q
      http://radarcache2.srh.noaa.gov/tc/tc.py/1.0.0/ridge::NAT-N0Q-201201271945/8
      /77/95.png

      Base reflectivity -NOR:
      http://radarcache2.srh.noaa.gov/tc/tc.py/1.0.0/ridge::NAT-N0R-201201271945/8
      /77/95.png

      Composite Reflectivity - NCR:
      http://radarcache2.srh.noaa.gov/tc/tc.py/1.0.0/ridge::NAT-NCR-201201271948/8
      /77/95.png

      Echo Tops -NET:
      http://radarcache2.srh.noaa.gov/tc/tc.py/1.0.0/ridge::NAT-NET-201201271948/8
      /77/95.png

      PSS. National Mosaic - NAT: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge2/

      PSSS. Actually all the tiles have weather on them. It just so happens that
      some weather produces not pretty colors, like days filled with only
      sunshine. ;)