Re: [aprsisce] Re:Cost to be online?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2009
      Fred Hillhouse wrote:

      > BTW, what phone are you using currently? Actually, I am wondering what
      > phones others are using as well. Now that I think about it a little
      anyway,
      > maybe it is not a phone. Either way, what are you using?

      I personally use an AT&T Tilt Windows Mobile 6 phone. I've got a
      windshield mount and mini-USB power for it in the car along with a
      portable LioN battery set with 5v regulator for when I go out
      geocaching. With the phone's GPS and data connection active, I get
      about 2 hours on a full charge. Drop the GPS but keep the data and I
      can get about 6 hours. With the two LioN cells regulated, I can run
      about 6-8 hours with full GPS and data.

      The worst thing I've done to it yet is hook up a 12v lead acid battery
      with 5v regulator and ran the phone, data connection, GPS, WiFi, along
      with APRSISCE and Navizon for 10 straight hours on a road trip to/from
      Atlanta and Clemson University (two separate trips). The phone requires
      cooling if you ask it to do that much for that long with the radios
      always active!

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ