Re: [aprsisce] Balloon launch today?

    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2010
      On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Steve <sbd64000@...> wrote:

      > Look out for VE6ATV-11 and VE6SRV-9
      >
      > VE6SRV-9 looks to be using APRSIS32 to track the Balloon which looks to be VE6ATV-11

      We got our sounding balloon off and followed it to burst at just over
      114,635 feet ASL. We watched the data stream in as it burst and fell,
      then mysteriously dropped out of contact at 25,441 feet on descent.

      We were dedicated to Le Grand Saut, and were preparing the main
      balloon and payload for launch, so our little toy got low priority.

      Well, a technical failure with the Stratonaut's reserve caused it to
      fire before launch, cancelling the flight. We cleaned up, and then
      took off to see if we could find our payload.

      I calculated about 4 to 5 miles downrange from where it was last
      heard, and set up a grid search. In actuality, the payload fell nearly
      vertical, and ended up only about 1/2 a mile from the last report.

      Totally spent, needing food and sleep in whichever order they
      arrive... perhaps both at once! Face down in the plate of food.