RF based APRSis not showing TCP stations?

  • n0eq_qrp
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2012
      Station n0eq-2 = APRSis running on a Windows XP machine,
      MFJ 1270 TNC, 5w HT.
      RF only, internet connection is NOT enabled or desired.

      Display shows ONLY other RF based stations
      such as n0eq-7 (RF based).
      Does NOT show any TCP based stations such as
      n0eq-10 nor any other TCP based stations (mine or anyone's).

      If I ?PING? a TCP based station, that station then
      returns it's posit and is displayed appropriately.

      Is this normal? Or should I be able to see TCP based
      stations that are being broadcast over RF via one of
      several nearby TCP digis?

      tnx -

      Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
      Phoenix AZ USA

      www.n0eq.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2012
        a) Digis don't transmit TCP stations, they only repeat what they've
        heard, and they won't ever hear an RF station unless it's wrapped in a
        3rd party wrapper..

        b) IGates may or may not (normally not) gate APRS-IS-only (TCP) stations
        to their local RF.

        In your configuration, if you don't hear it on RF, you won't see it on
        the screen. And I suspect you're not hearing the "missing" stations via
        RF because it's really uncommon for IGates to gate -IS-only stations.

        However, when a message is gated from the APRS-IS to an RF-based station
        (like your's), a "courtesy posit" usually follows it showing where the
        originating station is.. In your case, I suspect an ack or response to
        your message brought along one of these posits causing it to show up on
        your map.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for WIndows Mobile and Win32