Bluetooth link

  • James Higgins
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 21, 2011
      I am trying to connect a Bluetooth link between a PocketPC Dell X50v
      running WinCE 5.0 and aprsisce to an EEEPC running XP and aprsis32. I
      am running the latest release of aprsis on both the PocketPC and EEEPC
      however, I don't see any mention of Bluetooth under the Ports
      configuration menu.

      The Bluetooth link works great under Active Sync on both these PC's.

      I have been able to connect a TH-72 to the EEEPC running apris32 and
      now I want to pass this IS to the PocketPC via Bluetooth.

      Would appreciate any help setting up the Bluetooth link.

      Thanks

      Jim KC2SZ
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 21, 2011
        1) APRSIS32 doesn't support an IS-Server connection via BlueTooth - Only
        TCP/IP, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do.

        2) APRSISCE doesn't support an APRS-IS client connection via BlueTooth -
        Only TCP/IP, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do.

        3) Are you running the latest development on both platforms? I think
        the direct Bluetooth support is only in that release and not in the
        current general release from 2011/08/20 or so.

        On 12/21/2011 2:49 PM, James Higgins wrote:
        > I am trying to connect a Bluetooth link between a PocketPC Dell X50v
        > running WinCE 5.0 and aprsisce to an EEEPC running XP and aprsis32. I
        > am running the latest release of aprsis on both the PocketPC and EEEPC
        > however, I don't see any mention of Bluetooth under the Ports
        > configuration menu.
        >
        > The Bluetooth link works great under Active Sync on both these PC's.
        >
        > I have been able to connect a TH-72 to the EEEPC running apris32 and
        > now I want to pass this IS to the PocketPC via Bluetooth.
        >
        > Would appreciate any help setting up the Bluetooth link.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Jim KC2SZ

      • James Higgins
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 21, 2011
          Lynn

          I am running the general release from 2011/08/20 on both PC's.   I would like to do the direct Bluetooth.

          How do I download the latest development software?

          Jim KC2SZ

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 21, 2011
            http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

            Even that version only supports the Serial Port Profile of Bluetooth for connections to TNCs, and that only with the Microsoft Bluetooth stack.  You're not going to be able to lash an APRSISCE instance to an APRSIS32 instance via Bluetooth via any connections other than TCP/IP.

            On 12/21/2011 3:36 PM, James Higgins wrote: Lynn

            I am running the general release from 2011/08/20 on both PC's.   I would like to do the direct Bluetooth.

            How do I download the latest development software?

            Jim KC2SZ

            On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

            1) APRSIS32 doesn't support an IS-Server connection via BlueTooth - Only
            TCP/IP, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do.

            2) APRSISCE doesn't support an APRS-IS client connection via BlueTooth -
            Only TCP/IP, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do.

            3) Are you running the latest development on both platforms? I think
            the direct Bluetooth support is only in that release and not in the
            current general release from 2011/08/20 or so.

            On 12/21/2011 2:49 PM, James Higgins wrote:
            > I am trying to connect a Bluetooth link between a PocketPC Dell X50v
            > running WinCE 5.0 and aprsisce to an EEEPC running XP and aprsis32. I
            > am running the latest release of aprsis on both the PocketPC and EEEPC
            > however, I don't see any mention of Bluetooth under the Ports
            > configuration menu.
            >
            > The Bluetooth link works great under Active Sync on both these PC's.
            >
            > I have been able to connect a TH-72 to the EEEPC running apris32 and
            > now I want to pass this IS to the PocketPC via Bluetooth.
            >
            > Would appreciate any help setting up the Bluetooth link.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Jim KC2SZ

          • James Higgins
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 21, 2011
              Lynn

              I did see TCP/IP as one of the choices on each PC, however, it asked for a IP port?  Is there a procedure written that gives the port numbers and any thing else I will need?

              Jim KC2SZ

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 21, 2011
                I'm really not going to try to write a tutorial on TCP/IP communications and the implications and choices of "available' ports for new services.  I'm hoping someone out there can point you to a suitable tutorial on the subject as it involves some semi-advanced networking concepts and has nothing particular to to do with APRS nor APRSISCE/32.

                That said, 127.0.0.1 is the IP address of your current machine (most of the time).

                Machines get specific IP addresses for each networking adapter that they may have.  Win32 and Windows Mobile behave the same in this respect.  ipconfig is the command-line command that will show you ALL of the network adapters you have a desktop Windows machine.  There is no out-of-the-box way of discovering this information for a Windows Mobile device, but client's don't need to know this.

                Port numbers must be unique and available for any given service on the host that's attempting to offer the service.  "Standard" TCP/IP services have "well-known" port numbers.  http servers are on port 80.  ftp servers are on 21.  AGW's Packet Engine is normally on port 8000.  APRS-IS filtered ports are typically 14580.  APRS-IS full feed ports are typically 10152.

                What network adapter and/or port you might want to offer your own IS-Server from APRSIS32 is completely up to your whims.  The IP address you use on the server side determines what clients will be allowed to connect.  0.0.0.0 means the client can be anywhere.  127.0.0.1 means the client must be on the same machine.  <AdapterIPAddress> means that the client must be on that adapter's connected network (or at least LOOK like it's on that network - read up on NAT and firewalls and spoofing and such).  As for the port, it just has to be a number that's available on the server machine.  I use 2998, 2999, 3000, 6568, 6569, 40000, and who knows what all else, but what ports you can use depend on what you have running on your machine.

                And once you have the IS-Server configured, you can point your APRSISCE instance to the proper IP and port to connect to it.  BUT  as soon as you go mobile, you can't use the local IP address anymore and may not even be able to connect in from the Internet (capital I) because of any firewalls or NAT routers that your APRSIS32 server is hiding behind.

                Oh, and ActiveSync also makes up a private IP network between your desktop and Windows Mobile device while they're connected that only works when they're connected.

                Yep, more than I really want to go into.  If you want to run a local APRS-IS server, there's a certain amount of networking saavy that you better have to make it work as supporting such efforts is really a one-off unique thing for each installation.

                PS.  The more versatile the tool, the larger the instruction manual.  Ever see a cookbook that actually describes how to "fold an egg"?  Nope, they all assume you've got some applicable knowledge from somewhere else.

                On 12/21/2011 4:02 PM, James Higgins wrote: Lynn

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 21, 2011

                  Lynn

                  All anyone should need to know is what your TCP/IP ports are capable of, I don’t think you need to be supplying advanced info on TCP/IP you have enough to do.

                  Port numbers etc are covered under the various programs that use TCP/IP for interconnect, and usually they can be changed, there is plenty of information written out on the internet about TCP/IP and ports etc

                  I am very familiar with TCP/IP having installed networks, and more importantly have run a TCP/IP BBS over AX25 for RF that was called GB7UIM the G6UIM@GB7UIM.#44.GBR.EU is probably still a valid address
                  But we are talking around 1995, Amateur Radio has it’s own set of TCP/IP addresses, that are valid out in the world.
                  And that might be handy I guess for advanced remote control

                  Torbay Freecycle Moderator

> [...]

                  Only TCP/IP, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do.

                  3) Are you running the latest development on both platforms? I think
                  the direct Bluetooth support is only in that release and not in the
                  current general release from 2011/08/20 or so.

                  On 12/21/2011 2:49 PM, James Higgins wrote:
                  > I am trying to connect a Bluetooth link between a PocketPC Dell X50v
                  > running WinCE 5.0 and aprsisce to an EEEPC running XP and aprsis32. I
                  > am running the latest release of aprsis on both the PocketPC and EEEPC
                  > however, I don't see any mention of Bluetooth under the Ports
                  > configuration menu.
                  >
                  > The Bluetooth link works great under Active Sync on both these PC's.
                  >
                  > I have been able to connect a TH-72 to the EEEPC running apris32 and
                  > now I want to pass this IS to the PocketPC via Bluetooth.
                  >
                  > Would appreciate any help setting up the Bluetooth link.

                • mm1ptt
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
                    How do I create an internal IS-server port?
                    I would like to setup APRSIS32 as the IS-server on my local network with UI-View and UISS connecting to and passing data through APRSIS32 to the real IS-servers.
                    I read from here:
                    http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/is-server-port
                    To select 'IS-server' from the drop down menu but I dont have that option I have: KISS, AGW, KWD710(PKT), KWD710(APRS),FTM310v1.3, TEXT, and CWOP.
                    When I set a TEXT port and try to connect with UI-View I get a error message saying something like server port was forcefully closed.

                    Chris,
                    MM1PTT

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012

                      The IS server port is currently only available in the development release

                      If you close the software and edit the XML file, restart the software the click the about menu

                      Instructions here

                      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

                      Keep in mind that development versions can sometimes have bugs, make a backup of what you have so you can go back to the general release if need be

> [...]

                      > >> I would like to do the direct Bluetooth.
                      > >>
                      > >> How do I download the latest development software?
                      > >>
                      > >> Jim KC2SZ
                      > >>

                      > >> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                      > >> <kj4erj@... <mailto:kj4erj@...>> wrote:
                      > >>
                      > >> 1) APRSIS32 doesn't support an IS-Server connection via
                      > >> BlueTooth - Only
                      > >> TCP/IP, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do.
                      > >>
                      > >> 2) APRSISCE doesn't support an APRS-IS client connection via
                      > >> BlueTooth -
                      > >> Only TCP/IP, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do.
                      > >>
                      > >> 3) Are you running the latest development on both platforms?
                      > >> I think
                      > >> the direct Bluetooth support is only in that release and not
                      > >> in the
                      > >> current general release from 2011/08/20 or so.
                      > >>
                      > >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows

                    • Rob Giuliano
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
                        First, you need the development version in order to have the IS-Server type port available .  .  . .

                        However, I believe the code is all there and you can edit the XML file to create the port on teh "RELEASE VERSION" by:

                        <!--RFPort[#]-->
                        <RFPort Name="Callsign-SSID">
                        <Protocol>IS-Server</Protocol>
                        <Device>@127.0.0.1:14580</Device>
                        <RfBaud>-1</RfBaud>
                        <!--OpenCmd-->
                        <!--CloseCmd-->
                        <QuietTime>0</QuietTime>
                        <Enabled>1</Enabled>
                        <XmitEnabled>1</XmitEnabled>
                        <ProvidesNMEA>0</ProvidesNMEA>
                        <RFtoISEnabled>1</RFtoISEnabled>
                        <IStoRFEnabled>1</IStoRFEnabled>
                        <MyCallNot3rd>0</MyCallNot3rd>
                        <BeaconingEnabled>1</BeaconingEnabled>
                        <BeaconPath></BeaconPath>
                        <BulletinObjectEnabled>0</BulletinObjectEnabled>
                        <MessagesEnabled>0</MessagesEnabled>
                        <MessagePath></MessagePath>
                        <TelemetryEnabled>0</TelemetryEnabled>
                        <TelemetryPath></TelemetryPath>
                        <!--DigiXform-->
                        </RFPort>
                        <!--RFPort[#]-->

                        <RFPort Name="Callsign-SSID">
                              I think this needs to be the callsign - mine is
                        <Protocol>IS-Server</Protocol>
                              Key to working #1
                        <Device> @Valid IP:Valid port</Device>
                            Valid IP >>
                                 Next key to working usable address :127.0.0.1 is your own machine,
                                 and  0.0.0.0 will reply to anything
                                 If the computers are networked, use the valid IP of that machine (like: 192.138.1.8)
                            Valid Port >>
                                 Use 14580 to be just like the real IS-servers, or use something else,
                                     but your other linking machines must match
                                 I use 14585 on my local network

                        Good Luck - Happy New Year
                        Robert Giuliano
                        KB8RCO

> [...]

                        > >> I would like to do the direct Bluetooth.
                        > >>
                        > >> How do I download the latest development software?
                        > >>
                        > >> Jim KC2SZ
                        > >>

                        > >> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                        > >> <kj4erj@... <mailto:kj4erj@...>> wrote:
                        > >>
                        > >> 1) APRSIS32 doesn't support an IS-Server connection via
                        > >> BlueTooth - Only
                        > >> TCP/IP, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do.
                        > >>
                        > >> 2) APRSISCE doesn't support an APRS-IS client connection via
                        > >> BlueTooth -
                        > >> Only TCP/IP, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do.
                        > >>
                        > >> 3) Are you running the latest development on both platforms?
                        > >> I think
                        > >> the direct Bluetooth support is only in that release and not
                        > >> in the
                        > >> current general release from 2011/08/20 or so.
                        > >>
                        > >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and

                      • Greg Dolkas
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 9, 2012
                          Hi Lynn,

                          Is there an example bit of code (a template, perhaps) for writing an APRS client?  I'm wondering how I hard it would be to write something that could hook into your server port and watch for messages addressed to it, and respond back with something as directed.  I'm familiar with writing socket-based code, but don't know what to do from there (and don't want to have to learn everything you learned about APRS packet formatting to do it).  Any library routines out there to make the job a bit easier (and less error-prone)?

                          Greg  KO6TH

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 10, 2012
                            Depends on your choice of language, and I haven't done a complete survey.

                            When I started, there was practically nothing.  I looked at the OpenTracker APRS parser and loosely based on that in C.  But mostly, I've gone totally from scratch by spending way too many nights curled up with aprs101.pdf and captures of the APRS-IS stream.  (Needless to say, the OpenTracker parser doesn't handle nearly as much as APRSISCE/32 does).

                            If you're familiar with stream socket programming and cr/lf terminated lines, you'll find it trivially easy.  Especially if you only want to handle messages to a specific station.  Check out http://www.aprs-is.net/ specifically http://www.aprs-is.net/Connecting.aspx and children and then go read aprs101.pdf and watch the aprsisce/32 Packets log for a while.  You'll get it figured out.

                            On 1/10/2012 2:16 AM, Greg Dolkas wrote: Hi Lynn,

                          • Lee D Bengston
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 10, 2012
                              On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 2:16 AM, Greg Dolkas <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:

                              Hi Lynn,

                              Is there an example bit of code (a template, perhaps) for writing an APRS client?  I'm wondering how I hard it would be to write something that could hook into your server port and watch for messages addressed to it, and respond back with something as directed.  I'm familiar with writing socket-based code, but don't know what to do from there (and don't want to have to learn everything you learned about APRS packet formatting to do it).  Any library routines out there to make the job a bit easier (and less error-prone)?

                              Greg  KO6TH

                              The above are all I am aware of - the same thing really - the 2nd one being a port of the perl version to C.

                              Lee - K5DAT

                            • Charles Blackburn
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 10, 2012
                                I already have a perl script that does exactly this, logs in to the arps-is system, looks for messages to itself and replies with whatever it’s triggers are.

                                it is basically a linux based QRU server, havent worked on it much lately, just havent had time

                                charlie