Disable Digi

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 20, 2011
      Lynn,

      This may be a dumb question, but please forgive me as I'm under the influence to cold medication and egg-nog.

      Is there a way to disable just Digipating, without editing the XML file? There are times (such as when my Echolink node is in use for our ARES net) when I'd like to minimize the number of transmissions my APRS station is making; I'd still like to transmit my objects and have the IGATE operate, but eliminate the digi traffic. Basically, something in the Enables menu that turns the digi on and off.

      Another thought that just popped up (must be the cold meds) - have you considered a scheduler that allows certain funtions to be enable/disabled automatically. I currently use the Windows scheduler to close and reopen the program a couple of times a day becasue my USB Dongle seems to be quitting on me and restarting the program jump-starts it.

      73 es Merry Christmas,

      Mike
      WM4B
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2011
        On 12/20/2011 9:34 AM, Mike wrote:
        > This may be a dumb question, but please forgive me as I'm under the influence to cold medication and egg-nog.

        The only dumb question is one that you've asked before and are asking
        again hoping to get a different answer.

        > Is there a way to disable just Digipating, without editing the XML file? There are times (such as when my Echolink node is in use for our ARES net) when I'd like to minimize the number of transmissions my APRS station is making; I'd still like to transmit my objects and have the IGATE operate, but eliminate the digi traffic. Basically, something in the Enables menu that turns the digi on and off.

        Not yet. As the digi functions are not yet on-line configurable,
        they're also not on-line enable/disablable. You can always check
        Enables / Ports / Receive Only, but that effectively disables ALL
        transmissions.

        > Another thought that just popped up (must be the cold meds) - have you considered a scheduler that allows certain funtions to be enable/disabled automatically. I currently use the Windows scheduler to close and reopen the program a couple of times a day becasue my USB Dongle seems to be quitting on me and restarting the program jump-starts it.

        Sorry, but I'm not planning to go there anytime soon. There's WAY too
        many options that go into a scheduler for me to tackle at this time.
        Look for a macro recorder/playback Windows tool and see if that can do
        the job for you.

        > 73 es Merry Christmas,

        In Roman Catholic (and others) tradition, Christmas doesn't actually
        start until the 25th, so in the meantime Happy Advent!
        (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent)

        PS. Pet peeve: Why should software always be the one that has to get
        more complex just to work around defective hardware?

        PSS. Imagine the support questions when individual functions are
        controlled by a schedule...

        1) Is xyz enabled?
        2) Is xyz scheduled?
        3) Is your computer time right?
        4) Are you SURE your computer time is right?
        5) Is your computer's time zone compatible with the time range in your
        schedule?
        6) Is your computer date correct?
        7) Is your schedule configured for the proper week day?
        8) Are you sure the year is correct so that the day of week matches the
        schedule?
        ad nauseum...

        It'd be like the profile switching / configuration issues that plague
        the Tracker2 lists...
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2011
          So profiles are out or just profile switching? ;)

          I figured this is an advent-tageous time to ask. :)

          Happy Advent!

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 20, 2011

            Greetings,

            As I watch the APRS world around me, I sometimes find stations that are more interesting than a vehicle moving about. Check out KE5KTU-9 . This is one of those. The information tells me it is a 391' barge. It is currently on the Connecticut River. I see it ply the waters from Boston to Portland and into New York City. This is the first time I have seen it at its current location.

            The Multitrack window makes following easy!

            I hope you find it as interesting as I or maybe share stations you may find interesting.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 20, 2011
              Sorry, not the Connecticut! It is on the Hudson! I was thinking it would be cool to see it there and typed it in. Doh!

              As I watch the APRS world around me, I sometimes find stations that are more interesting than a vehicle moving about. Check out KE5KTU-9 . This is one of those. The information tells me it is a 391' barge. It is currently on the Connecticut River. I see it ply the waters from Boston to Portland and into New York City. This is the first time I have seen it at its current location.

              The Multitrack window makes following easy!

              I hope you find it as interesting as I or maybe share stations you may find interesting.

            • daveocn
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 20, 2011
                Have a look at www.truckcam.tv

                Dave G1OCN
              • kc8sfq@mei.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 21, 2011
                  > Have a look at www.truckcam.tv
                  >
                  > Dave G1OCN
                  Pretty cool Dave, but you were driving on the wrong side of the road <G>

                   Greetings from the colonies
                  73 KC8SFQ  Ron