Re: [aprsisce] After Looking at the Filter Log

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011
      From http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:automatic-filters

      > If you drag the main window map around to establish a center other
      > than yourself or a specific station, it adds a (if Range is non-zero):
      >
      > r/lat/lon/dist - Range filter using the map center and the configured
      > range

      Unlike many other APRS-IS clients, with APRSISCE/32 you normally don't
      need to futz about with filters manually. Many people just set the
      Configure / General / Range and leave the Add Filter blank and they see
      everything they're interested in.

      And even if you hear about a station you'd like to see, just Screen /
      Follow / Find, enter the callsign-SSID and tell it to Wait For It and it
      will show up the next time the station beacons as a buddy filter (b/) is
      automatically added while it waits.

      And if you're following a station in a MultiTrack and it drives out of
      your normal range, no worries. The automatic buddy filter will keep
      tracking it. If you want to see what's around such a station, click on
      it and select "Range" to change the buddy filter to a friend (f/) using
      your Configure / General / Range spec.

      Or if you want to go REALLY nuts, check Screen / Filter Circle in the
      main window and APRSISCE/32 will expand/contract the filter to fill the
      range circle on your screen. Zoom out to see the US, and you'll SEE
      every station in the US. Pan across the ocean to Europe or the UK and
      they'll start to fill up with stations. Right click and "Center On ME"
      and zoom back in and the scrolling packets will slow back down to the
      normal pace and all of those stations will eventually age out and
      disappear. No muss, no fuss.

      Oh, and if you keep the Filter trace log visible, you'll see the filter
      being transmitted every time you move the screen!

      On 12/1/2011 7:40 PM, chuckbland wrote:
      > I see two range (r/.....) filters spec'd. One of them is the one I added in the Config->General window. Why did the second one appear?
      >
      > Chuck

    • Billy Mason
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2011
        Chuck,

        I saw that too. After changing various menu options, while watching
        the FILTER log, I discovered that the setting of Screen / Follow /
        Center was creating the duplicate "r/" filter. I changed to Screen /
        Follow / Me and the duplicate went away.

        Billy Mason

        (This E-mail was sent from my iPhone. Any typo's and/or words created
        by auto-correct are not a fault of the operator.)

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2011
          Look closely, they weren't duplicates. APRSISCE/32 attempts to always
          keep a range around ME as well as a range around the center of the
          circle. If ME and the Center are less than half the
          Configure/General/Range away from each other, the second r/ is supposed
          to be suppresses. If they get further apart, the second r/ will be
          included in the filter to accomplish overlapping circles.

          Also, before anyone asks about the m/ and r/ for ME, depending on the
          APRS-IS server you're connected to, how "bouncy" your connection has
          been (consider a rotating DNS and patchy cellular data coverage), I've
          seen servers seem to not know where you are for an m/ filter to work.
          The r/ filter always works and, since I transmit a new filter with each
          new connection and login (required, actually), the feed always knows
          what data you'd like to receive.

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of