After Looking at the Filter Log

  • chuckbland
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011
      I see two range (r/.....) filters spec'd. One of them is the one I added in the Config->General window. Why did the second one appear?

      Chuck
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011
        From http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:automatic-filters

        > If you drag the main window map around to establish a center other
        > than yourself or a specific station, it adds a (if Range is non-zero):
        >
        > r/lat/lon/dist - Range filter using the map center and the configured
        > range

        Unlike many other APRS-IS clients, with APRSISCE/32 you normally don't
        need to futz about with filters manually. Many people just set the
        Configure / General / Range and leave the Add Filter blank and they see
        everything they're interested in.

        And even if you hear about a station you'd like to see, just Screen /
        Follow / Find, enter the callsign-SSID and tell it to Wait For It and it
        will show up the next time the station beacons as a buddy filter (b/) is
        automatically added while it waits.

        And if you're following a station in a MultiTrack and it drives out of
        your normal range, no worries. The automatic buddy filter will keep
        tracking it. If you want to see what's around such a station, click on
        it and select "Range" to change the buddy filter to a friend (f/) using
        your Configure / General / Range spec.

        Or if you want to go REALLY nuts, check Screen / Filter Circle in the
        main window and APRSISCE/32 will expand/contract the filter to fill the
        range circle on your screen. Zoom out to see the US, and you'll SEE
        every station in the US. Pan across the ocean to Europe or the UK and
        they'll start to fill up with stations. Right click and "Center On ME"
        and zoom back in and the scrolling packets will slow back down to the
        normal pace and all of those stations will eventually age out and
        disappear. No muss, no fuss.

        Oh, and if you keep the Filter trace log visible, you'll see the filter
        being transmitted every time you move the screen!

        On 12/1/2011 7:40 PM, chuckbland wrote:
        > I see two range (r/.....) filters spec'd. One of them is the one I added in the Config->General window. Why did the second one appear?
        >
        > Chuck

      • Billy Mason
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2011
          Chuck,

          I saw that too. After changing various menu options, while watching
          the FILTER log, I discovered that the setting of Screen / Follow /
          Center was creating the duplicate "r/" filter. I changed to Screen /
          Follow / Me and the duplicate went away.

          Billy Mason

          (This E-mail was sent from my iPhone. Any typo's and/or words created
          by auto-correct are not a fault of the operator.)

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2011
            Look closely, they weren't duplicates. APRSISCE/32 attempts to always
            keep a range around ME as well as a range around the center of the
            circle. If ME and the Center are less than half the
            Configure/General/Range away from each other, the second r/ is supposed
            to be suppresses. If they get further apart, the second r/ will be
            included in the filter to accomplish overlapping circles.

            Also, before anyone asks about the m/ and r/ for ME, depending on the
            APRS-IS server you're connected to, how "bouncy" your connection has
            been (consider a rotating DNS and patchy cellular data coverage), I've
            seen servers seem to not know where you are for an m/ filter to work.
            The r/ filter always works and, since I transmit a new filter with each
            new connection and login (required, actually), the feed always knows
            what data you'd like to receive.

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of