Re: [aprsisce] Tiles and Oceans/Seas

  • Greg Dolkas
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
      I'd prefer to use a fixed blue-ish color for all the fake tiles.  That way there is no question that it's not real, in case at some zoom you happen to catch a spec of something in the single tile you happen to grab.  Also, using a different color than the default OSM "Ocean" tile will make it clear where the boundary of real and fake is, again, just in case you were looking for that spec of something in the real tile, just off the edge of a fake one.

      Pretty isn't pretty if it gets in the way with being able to trust what you see.

      My $.02...

      Greg  KO6TH

      On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Steve Daniels <steve@...> wrote:

      Yes just grab a single tile from within the area, if you have not already, or not, as a not matching colour may not look pretty, but would show a not mapped area.

      I can start on boxes for ocean/sea areas that have no land in them.

      How far do we go with it? Obviously things like the major Oceans, and large areas of Sea, but maybe a series of boxes up the English Channel is going a bit far?

      The idea obviously is to not waste bandwidth downloading essentially useless tiles.

      I don’t know enough about vector data to have an opinion, I know it would be a lot smaller, and you could probably have the whole world in a releativly small file.

      I got side tracked, I have had the privilege of working with some artists, before they stopped doing things like being machinists, and got recgonised for the art.

      My boss in the early 90’s did art using vector graphics, just looked up his art.

      Torbay Freecycle Moderator