Whats happening ?

  • Dave Aitch OCN
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
    I watched this happen over a period of about 20 minutes this afternoon.

    I haven't made any changes to the configuration for a long time.

    Dave G1OCN

    Message 2 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
      From my chair, they look like paths, assuming you mean the long straight lines between station. You can change the settings if you wish.

      Check out: Toolbar>Screen>Paths>Appearance

      I watched this happen over a period of about 20 minutes this afternoon.

      I haven't made any changes to the configuration for a long time.

      Dave G1OCN

    • daveocn
      Message 3 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
        Hi Fred.

        Thanks for your reply.

        I didn't change anything before these paths started appearing.

        Dave G1OCN
        Message 4 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
          On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Dave Aitch OCN <daveocn@...> wrote:

          > I watched this happen over a period of about 20 minutes this afternoon.
          > I haven't made any changes to the configuration for a long time.

          The Basilisk is gone, so the spiders are now leaving the Forbidden
          Forest and have left webs all over.

          Go to SCREEN | PATHS and use the APPEARANCE dialog to fiddle with the
          settings to enable or disable them as desired.

          It looks like you have been futzing, because that isn't the default
          colour scheme.

          We haven't gotten a wiki page together for this yet as it has been
          rapidly evolving, and we need to figure out how it works before
          writing a description of what it does. There has been a lot of
          discussion about this on the reflector over the last few weeks. Look
          in the archives.

        • daveocn
          Message 5 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
            They were not paths, they were tracks.

            Dave G1OCN
            Message 6 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
              Hmm, I wonder if someone was virtually bouncing a station around you. That is very possible.

              Fred, N7FMH

              Message 7 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
                I thought it very strange so I thought I would bring it to the attention of
                the powers that be Fred.

                Not every ICON had a line from/to it. Especially those on my door step.

                I have closed the program down and will restart it later and see what
                happens.

                Dave G1OCN
                Message 8 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
                  It is strange. I really suspect someone is playing. That would be very easy to do.

                  I use a GPS simulator on occasion which moves my location around so APRSIS32 will get the tiles without me physically doing it. I left beaconing enabled. I noticed a strange path and realized I did this. Then I turned it off and it stopped.

                  Another example was sometime ago, someone create an object that had a helicopter symbol. If I remember correctly, it flew from Hawaii to Africa, non-stop, at 6MPH the whole way. It was a perfect flight. It was also false!

                  Turn on the logs and see if you can figure out who is doing this.

                  Message 9 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
                    Okay, so my fingers are still asleep. It went 60MPH the whole way.

                    Message 10 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011

                      I have some strange paths on my display, not sure I believe a path from Hereford UK to Barcelona Spain , can’t tell exactly as they disappear when I zoom in.

                      On Dave’s display there looks to be a line between me and somewhere around G4HYG I don’t believe that either

                      There is a station in the UK that pumps everything from UK stations on IS back to RF as 3rd party packets, however I did ask him not to do that with mine, as I was getting messages on IS and then after awhile on IS through around 4 hops

                      Torbay Freecycle Moderator

                      Message 11 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
                        The first callsign to move from its original location, showing as a yacht,
                        was G4YKE and it drew a line from its present location to Poole
                        Harbour, just to the East of me, here in Dorset.

                        G4YKE is now back in its original place and showing as an apple
                        icon.

                        Since I started the program several minutes ago no more lines have
                        appeared, so far.

                        Dave G1OCN
                        Message 12 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011

                          I see G4YKE with seemingly random track lines here

                          Have cleared my paths and tracks and will keep an eye on things to see if I can figure whats happening

                          Message 13 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
                            Upgraded to the latest development version? That'd make them appear
                            seemingly without making any configuration changes as they're relatively
                            new.

                            On 11/30/2011 12:17 PM, daveocn wrote:
                            > Hi Fred.
                            >
                            > Thanks for your reply.
                            >
                            > I didn't change anything before these paths started appearing.
                            >
                            > Dave G1OCN

                          • daveocn
                            Message 14 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
                              Hi Lynn,

                              The version in use here is 2011/11/21 00:14

                              Dave G1OCN

                              Message 15 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
                                If your disk space can handle it, please turn on Enables / Logging /
                                File Enabled (this really should be left on anyway) and Enables /
                                Logging / Packets. I'd like to capture that for a while just in case
                                something does start moving across your map. With the Packets log, we
                                might have a chance at figuring out what it was.

                                Oh, and View / Tracks will also help to see ONLY those stations that
                                have moved!

                                And Steve, if you zoom in on something and the track of interest
                                disappears, that means that the owning station just left visibility.
                                Pan around the track and keep zooming in and out until you home in on
                                the source. Maybe one of these days the line joints will the clickable,
                                but not yet. And don't ask for the lines to be clickable. APRSISCE/32
                                doesn't really even know where those pixels are as I leave the drawing
                                of them up to Win32.

                                On 11/30/2011 1:09 PM, daveocn wrote:
                                > The first callsign to move from its original location, showing as a yacht,
                                > was G4YKE and it drew a line from its present location to Poole
                                > Harbour, just to the East of me, here in Dorset.
                                >
                                > G4YKE is now back in its original place and showing as an apple
                                > icon.
                                >
                                > Since I started the program several minutes ago no more lines have
                                > appeared, so far.
                                >
                                > Dave G1OCN

                              • Rob Giuliano
                                Message 16 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
                                  Any chance someone had multiple transmitters with the same callsign-ssid?

                                  That happened around me as we were setting up equipment for a bike event.  I had configured a bunch of TT3's with the same callsign and ssid from a configuration file.  Distributed them and had the user reconfigure to their "tactical sign" and callsign in the status.  When they started up, they transmitted and that showed as a mess until they made the changes.

                                  Robert Giuliano
                                  KB8RCO

                                  Message 17 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011

                                    I checked this out, and the station had a home station running openaprs, and also a D710 mobile. Both callsign and no SSID, so the symbol changed as they each beaconed, and the track lines jumped back and forth.

                                    That’s one issue that Dave saw, but not the only one.

                                    I have messaged the station and it got acked but no response as yet

                                    Message 18 of 18 , Nov 30, 2011
                                      See the track at http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net/Tracking/20111130-G4YKE.png

                                      We know that G4YKE is beaconing concurrently from two locations, but that doesn't even explain that particular track capture.  And it doesn't match up with the originally posted question either.

                                      Lynn (D)  - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32