RE: [aprsisce] New request

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2011
      On 11/29/2011 2:29 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
      >> The Tilt makes for fast starting and with a bluetooth connection to my
      TNC, connection doesn't get much easier.

      > Curious question: Are you using a direct Bluetooth connection from
      APRSISCE or did you pair the device to a COM port and are using that COMn as
      a Serial port from APRSISCE?

      Hmm, I remember you were doing some work that might eliminate pointing to a
      virtual COMport on the Tilt. At the time my focus was somewhere else and
      figured I had a working system that I didn't want to test/break. So, I am
      using COM1. I will have to go back through the messages/WIKI to get thinking
      about this again.

      >> BTW, the WIKI has a nice write-up on messaging.

      > That's nearly the first Wiki page I actually wrote too!

      It was an eye-opener for me.

      >> While away, I noticed the non-modal path form show up in an update.
      Sweet! I look forward to more eventually.

      > See View / Chooser. I like this one better than Screen / Paths, but
      they're very closely tied.

      Okay, time to play with something new! Maybe I can eliminate a few trips
      through the modal form.

      >> So, did Lynn take time out for Thanksgiving?

      > If you ask my YL, she'd say "no", but I cantered (sang) at Mass at 9:00
      and we had Thanksgiving lunch down there from 11:00-1:00 with some friends.
      There was more to the weekend as well, but not worth going into at this
      time.

      You were quite busy! I sat around and played Halo Anniversary and Portal2
      with my daughter between meals and other visiting.

      >> Now for the request, would it be possible to add additional data options
      to the station label?

      > Would this be only for the Following station or for all stations visible
      on the screen? IMHO, there's already too much there if you turn on all three
      speeds and altitude along with the call sign. And I still need to revisit
      the overlapping avoidance logic so that it doesn't treat all labels as the
      same number of lines as the current label. There's more whitespace around
      some station labels than is absolutely necessary.

      I agree that if I turn on all the options, it would be too much. I don't
      display altitude (although I still see it once on occasion) or speed. I
      consider those both to be options that are handy once in a while. If I was
      keeping track of a balloon (or something similar), then I would turn it on.

      >> First, elapsed time would be very handy. The netbook is on my 'scan
      frequently' list, rather than the 'scan always' list so I don't check the
      display and this would give an indication of how long ago the packet was
      received. I know I can get the info from clicking on the station icon but
      being part of the label would be faster and not require user interaction.

      > Think carefully about what you ask for. Consider that the elapsed time is
      constantly changing. Do you really want the entire circle updating every
      second just to have the elapsed time on the label? I don't think I'll do
      that, thanks. Drawing the circle is just WAY too CPU consuming to add
      something that's changing just because time is marching ever onwards.

      I have thought about it. I was wishing for it on this last trip. And,
      updating once every 1 minute would be fine enough resolution. In an RF only
      environment, there just isn't that many stations and I have a wide open 1000
      mile range. I hope to see as much as possible. I just finished a 3000 mile
      trip and sadly, I saw far less mobile stations than expected. If I traveled
      the same distance along the west coast, I might feel differently but I did
      travel from NH to AR and back. That included WB4APR's neighborhood. In fact,
      I saw WB4APR-15 in the scroller at one point.

      Just like the speed and altitude; elapsed time would only be an option. I
      don't think I would ever use it on my Tilt but that remains to be seen. I
      usually don't use the range ring or the "meatball" [sorry, just had to use
      James' word for it :D]. On my new netbook, CPU is a concern. My last netbook
      yes. :) Even then I ran 3 applications for; APRS, map and OBDII.

      >> Second, the transport and information (frequency, etc) would be nice as >
      well.

      > Huh? Not sure what you mean by transport and information? Once I add
      frequency recognition to the parser, there'll be a View / Frequency filter
      and I do plan to add it as a label option. THAT doesn't change (much).

      Sorry, I meant platform. I was running on sleeping brain cells yesterday;
      still am to some degree.

      >> I know that with a lot of packets, the screen can get cluttered. If the
      data shown can be selected based on station type and/or transport. The user
      could select what is visible. For instance, it is likely a TM-D710 or
      FTM-350 may be set to add the other side frequency but a 'tracker' it seems
      unlikely. So, I would select the likely candidates only for time and
      information.

      > You'll have to translate and detail "likely candidates" for me. On an item
      by item, platform by platform (see View / Platforms) basis.

      The 'likely candidates' are those platforms, TM-D710 or FTM-350, that are
      most likely to display their 'other side' operating frequency. I usually
      find those that run 'tracker only' and show a frequency are almost never
      using it.

      >> Given the above example, I would probably leave 'transport' off since the
      frequency is usually what I am after. But, then any frequency found would be
      useful.

      > I'm still not sure what you mean by "Transport" or are you referring to
      the View / Transport's top three selections? You can already filter the view
      to show only those and I'm not sure what seeing every station labeled with
      that bit would do for you.

      > Frequency, as mentioned above, will be a label option and will only be
      included for those with parser-recognizable frequencies in their beacons.

      The frequency is very desired. I don't care much about the platform, but,
      again, most frequencies from trackers are usually not in use. At least that
      has been my experience.

      The most consistent frequency status is those produced by the Kenwood and
      Yaesu radios when they are set to send the 'other side' for the QSY
      function. I see a lot of 'no-standard' which make it harder to parse. I have
      been working on this myself and have only focused on MIC-E packets for
      starters.

      >> Third, the above on a non-modal form? Is 'non-modal form' repetitiously
      redundant?

      > No, actually most "forms" are modal. Non-modals are actually relatively
      rare, useful in some circumstances, but not all.

      I agree. You use them in a few places but there could be more. This is not a
      "hurry up and get them in" request. I do like them!

      The modal form are useful for things that need a key click or two but more
      than that is tedious. You changed the path form to non-modal. Now, I open it
      and make a series of selections. Simple.

      This is the actual request. At some point in the future, the stations labels
      would be a great place for a non-modal form a well. Open the form, then
      select items of interest.

      I suspect on the mobile platform, the forms are probably harder to handle
      just because of the decreased display size.

      >> I did read the weather data whenever possible. With the possibility of
      freezing temps, it seemed prudent.

      > I like the weather data options on the labels, yes. I keep them turned on
      in one of my local instances and routinely ask AF4EX for the current
      temperature in the morning.

      On my desktop PC, I usually have the national weather service running so I
      usually have that option off.

      >> Hmm, maybe there is another request. Rather than just wide or narrow, how
      about number of scrolling stations?

      > Huh? Why? What are you hoping to accomplish with that one? Not sure I
      understand.

      I like to see as much map as possible and I always want more station
      information. The thought is that maybe somewhere between 6 stations and a
      full side bar there might exist a compromise. This was really mostly a
      passing thought as I recapped my trip experience. I wanted more stations,
      but as much map as possible.

      So, how do I fit a monster monitor in my Corolla? I ran two applications on
      the trip, and I usually run three. Maybe a small USB monitor? Hmm...

      >> Thanks for the work you do Lynn!!!

      > You're welcome. I'm going to have to try to get your response to these
      queries boiled into the (overdue for attention) ToDo list before the
      upcoming general release. (Not to mention boil down 700+ lines
      (double-spaced) of release notes that need to be summarized into a few
      (right) high points).

      Fred - N7FMH - Grateful user of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 30, 2011
        >>> The Tilt makes for fast starting and with a bluetooth connection to my
        TNC, connection doesn't get much easier.

        >> Curious question: Are you using a direct Bluetooth connection from
        APRSISCE or did you pair the device to a COM port and are using that COMn as
        a Serial port from APRSISCE?

        > Hmm, I remember you were doing some work that might eliminate pointing to
        a virtual COMport on the Tilt. At the time my focus was somewhere else and
        figured I had a working system that I didn't want to test/break. So, I am
        using COM1. I will have to go back through the messages/WIKI to get thinking
        about this again.

        I just went out and created a new port using the bluetooth support you added
        some time ago. Painless!

        Thanks for yet another super feature!

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2011
          On 11/30/2011 1:09 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
          > I just went out and created a new port using the bluetooth support you added
          > some time ago. Painless!
          >
          > Thanks for yet another super feature!

          You're welcome. I've been running my KJ4ERJ-1 IGate that way since
          shortly after it was implemented and my KJ4ERJ-12 to D700 TNC port is
          also a direct Bluetooth connection. I'm glad you tried it because I'm
          not sure how many others have actually used it.

          I did get one report that it didn't work from a non-uSoft Bluetooth
          stack which is unfortunate, but not unlikely as it's a uSoft socket spec
          that I implemented. Pairing still works, but with direct Bluetooth, you
          don't have to worry about port numbers. And the error messages and
          retries are a bit quicker!

          PS. The Bluetooth device type also works with Bluetooth GPSs, at least
          it does with my DeLorme BlueLogger and BT-20s. It should be able to
          connect to anything that offers SPP.
        • Rob Giuliano
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 30, 2011
            I tried it with my Targus micro-bluetooth with a non-Microsoft stack.  I don't remember which I had because it is on my netbook which I don't have with me now.  I'll try and check later this evening.

            Robert Giuliano
            KB8RCO

            On 11/30/2011 1:09 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
            > I just went out and created a new port using the bluetooth support you added
            > some time ago. Painless!
            >
            > Thanks for yet another super feature!

            You're welcome. I've been running my KJ4ERJ-1 IGate that way since
            shortly after it was implemented and my KJ4ERJ-12 to D700 TNC port is
            also a direct Bluetooth connection. I'm glad you tried it because I'm
            not sure how many others have actually used it.

            I did get one report that it didn't work from a non-uSoft Bluetooth
            stack which is unfortunate, but not unlikely as it's a uSoft socket spec
            that I implemented. Pairing still works, but with direct Bluetooth, you
            don't have to worry about port numbers. And the error messages and
            retries are a bit quicker!

            PS. The Bluetooth device type also works with Bluetooth GPSs, at least
            it does with my DeLorme BlueLogger and BT-20s. It should be able to
            connect to anything that offers SPP.

          • Krzysztof SQ5NWI
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1 12:50 AM

              I used and sometimes will use direct BT on my WebDT with WinCE to connect it to Nokia BT GPS.

              It is very comfortable in comparison to pairing in usual way with COM ports usage.

              --

              Regards,

              Krzysztof

              SQ5NWI

              On 11/30/2011 1:09 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

              > I just went out and created a new port using the bluetooth support you added
              > some time ago. Painless!
              >
              > Thanks for yet another super feature!

              You're welcome. I've been running my KJ4ERJ-1 IGate that way since
              shortly after it was implemented and my KJ4ERJ-12 to D700 TNC port is
              also a direct Bluetooth connection. I'm glad you tried it because I'm
              not sure how many others have actually used it.

              I did get one report that it didn't work from a non-uSoft Bluetooth
              stack which is unfortunate, but not unlikely as it's a uSoft socket spec
              that I implemented. Pairing still works, but with direct Bluetooth, you
              don't have to worry about port numbers. And the error messages and
              retries are a bit quicker!

              PS. The Bluetooth device type also works with Bluetooth GPSs, at least
              it does with my DeLorme BlueLogger and BT-20s. It should be able to
              connect to anything that offers SPP.

            • g4ilo
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1 3:05 AM
                I'm using it under WinMo for my G4ILO station. I did notice an issue that if the phone goes to sleep you lose the BT connection and in order to fix that I have to reboot the phone. But that isn't a problem I encounter very often as this phone sits in a powered cradle and runs 24/7.

                Julian, G4ILO