On-Screen View-Filter Indicator

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2011
      Ok, here's the deal.  In order to avoid the inevitable "why am I not seeing stations on the screen" that is periodically asked in the UI-View group (and the answer is to go check a box in some obscure dialog that either a) defaults to unchecked or b) is easy to forget you unchecked it in the last operating session), I decided a long time ago that the View filter settings would NOT be persistent, but would always come back up as View / All.

      In order to ease that decision while still attempting to avoid the "why" question, I'm trying to come up with a non-invasive, timer-based, on-screen indicator that you're not seeing ALL of the stations.  That's the little "all" word that shows up just to the right of the zoom indicator bar vertically centered.  And it gets a red line through it if you're NOT seeing "all".  And it disppears some time after the last "significant" change (zooming or panning).

      So, I'm looking for a word that can be used when doing a View / None (which is actually view / one or two as it still shows the followed station and ME).  I currently have "one" showing up, but that looks strange to my eyes (and your's once I release it), but I'm looking for something better if anyone can think of something.

      Also, I rotated the line to 45 degrees instead of horizontal for the red circle, but there doesn't seem to be enough screen resolution to do a diagonal line justice.  So please stare at the circled (NOT) "all" for a while and burn the image into your mind and then I'll be soliciting feedback after releasing the diagonal version.

      vs

    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2011
        My thought would be:
           ALL                                    -> All
           (ALL)  with line through         -> None
           ME                                     -> ME (and follow)

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2011
          On 11/30/2011 9:14 AM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
          My thought would be:
             ALL                                    -> All

          I kept it lower-case to be less intrusive, but that's current.

             (ALL)  with line through         -> None

          Actually, all with a line through it doesn't mean "None", it means "some" and sometimes "one+ME" and sometimes "ME-only".  That's the confusing part that I want to clarify.

             ME                                     -> ME (and follow)

          That's be View / None, but if you're following someone else, it's one+ME, but if you're following ME, it's just ME.  I'm thinking maybe "one" for the former and "none" for just ME?

          PS.  I know, "uno" just to bring some multi-linguality into it!  (I8N is in the long-term plans though...)

          Robert Giuliano
          KB8RCO

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2011

              Here you have my proposal(s):

              ALL -> all

              (ALL) -> ltd (limited)

              ME+ one followed -> ME+

              ME -> none

              I would consider also/alternatively to mark filtered call signs on scroller list. For example with red font or so.

              It assumes that scroller list content is independent from Chooser settings and as far as I observed it is.

              Just my thoughts...

              --

              Regards,

              Krzysztof

              SQ5NWI

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 30, 2011
                Then how about:
                  all      -> obvious
                  filt       -> generic, but clearly shows that it is NOT all
                  uno     -> one or one+me

                Robert Giuliano
                KB8RCO

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011

                  I like it. :-)

                  „filt” it was also my thought, but not expressed.

                  I think it is good also from polish language interface perspective (somewhere in the future) while we say “filtrowany” when english language has “filtered”. The same beginning, isn’t it? ;-)

                  Wow!

                  I’ve just checked number of most common languages translations for “filtered” and almost always it is started with filt... so I vote for it.

                  --

                  Regards,

                  Krzysztof

                  SQ5NWI