New request

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
      Greetings All,

      I got back home from a vacation to see my kids. It was a long two days back
      on the road: steady rain for the first day, complete with accidents and
      other delays and, of course, the increased traffic.

      I ran APRSIS32 on my netbook for the over the road portions. Around my final
      destination, I ran APRSISCE on my HTC Tilt. The netbook startup and shut
      down are longer than I want to deal with for short runs. The Tilt makes for
      fast starting and with a bluetooth connection to my TNC, connection doesn't
      get much easier. Whichever APRSISCE/32 version I used, they worked great!
      This is so much better than 'tracker only'. Of course you all know that!

      The only disappointment was seeing very few mobile APRS stations along my
      route. I did, however, recognize a couple of call signs on my trip though;
      WF5X-9 and KD4DRA. I was looking for WF5X since he announced his trip in
      advance. KD4DRA was a nice extra.

      I sent messages to each. Never received a return message though. I can
      explain the lack of message from WF5X-9. I shutdown the application right
      after sending it. I saw WF5X-9 while he was west of Little Rock, Arkansas. I
      just happen to look at the map and see the little red car. I saw KD4DRA on
      my way back up I-81. This was an added treat and pure luck. It was one of
      the five call signs showing at the time. BTW, the WIKI has a nice write-up
      on messaging.

      While away, I noticed the non-modal path form show up in an update. Sweet! I
      look forward to more eventually. I usually configured 10 minutes for paths.
      Seeing the paths was a huge improvement in seeing the world and its
      connectivity. I actually limited the path time to 5 minutes eventually. The
      screen was a bit cluttered with my own paths. I guess I can turn that off
      but it is cool to see.

      So, did Lynn take time out for Thanksgiving?

      Now for the request, would it be possible to add additional data options to
      the station label?

      First, elapsed time would be very handy. The netbook is on my 'scan
      frequently' list, rather than the 'scan always' list so I don't check the
      display and this would give an indication of how long ago the packet was
      received. I know I can get the info from clicking on the station icon but
      being part of the label would be faster and not require user interaction.

      Second, the transport and information (frequency, etc) would be nice as
      well.

      I know that with a lot of packets, the screen can get cluttered. If the data
      shown can be selected based on station type and/or transport. The user could
      select what is visible. For instance, it is likely a TM-D710 or FTM-350 may
      be set to add the other side frequency but a 'tracker' it seems unlikely.
      So, I would select the likely candidates only for time and information.

      Given the above example, I would probably leave 'transport' off since the
      frequency is usually what I am after. But, then any frequency found would be
      useful.

      Third, the above on a non-modal form? Is 'non-modal form' repetitiously
      redundant?

      I did read the weather data whenever possible. With the possibility of
      freezing temps it seemed prudent.

      Hmm, maybe there is another request. Rather than just wide or narrow, how
      about number of scrolling stations?

      Thanks for the work you do Lynn!!!

      Best regards,

      ------------------------------------
      Fred Hillhouse Jr
      http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?N7FMH
      ------------------------------------

      PS. Mobile desk: http://www.jeniko.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
        I saw WF5X-9 while he was EAST of Little Rock, Arkansas.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
          You saw me in Arkansas, and that was good enough. :)

          Sorry we missed you, Fred. I just skirted the back side of the rain until I hit Terre Haute. Then it was rain until my stopping point for the night. It was just cloudy the rest of my way in from Indiana to the house.

          Glad to see you survived the rains just in time to get some snow here in a few days!

          Randy
          WF5X

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
            On 11/29/2011 2:29 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
            > The Tilt makes for
            > fast starting and with a bluetooth connection to my TNC, connection doesn't
            > get much easier.

            Curious question: Are you using a direct Bluetooth connection from
            APRSISCE or did you pair the device to a COM port and are using that
            COMn as a Serial port from APRSISCE?

            > BTW, the WIKI has a nice write-up on messaging.

            That's nearly the first Wiki page I actually wrote too!

            > While away, I noticed the non-modal path form show up in an update. Sweet! I
            > look forward to more eventually.

            See View / Chooser. I like this one better than Screen / Paths, but
            they're very closely tied.

            > So, did Lynn take time out for Thanksgiving?

            If you ask my YL, she'd say "no", but I cantored (sang) at Mass at 9:00
            and we had Thanksgiving lunch down there from 11:00-1:00 with some
            friends. There was more to the weekend as well, but not worth going
            into at this time.

            > Now for the request, would it be possible to add additional data options to
            > the station label?

            Would this be only for the Following station or for all stations visible
            on the screen? IMHO, there's already too much there if you turn on all
            three speeds and altitude along with the callsign. And I still need to
            revisit the overlapping avoidance logic so that it doesn't treat all
            labels as the same number of lines as the current label. There's more
            whitespace around some station labels than is absolutely necessary.

            > First, elapsed time would be very handy. The netbook is on my 'scan
            > frequently' list, rather than the 'scan always' list so I don't check the
            > display and this would give an indication of how long ago the packet was
            > received. I know I can get the info from clicking on the station icon but
            > being part of the label would be faster and not require user interaction.

            Think carefully about what you ask for. Consider that the elapsed time
            is constantly changing. Do you really want the entire circle updating
            every second just to have the elapsed time on the label? I don't think
            I'll do that, thanks. Drawing the circle is just WAY too CPU consuming
            to add something that's changing just because time is marching ever onwards.

            > Second, the transport and information (frequency, etc) would be nice as
            > well.

            Huh? Not sure what you mean by transport and information? Once I add
            frequency recognition to the parser, there'll be a View / Frequency
            filter and I do plan to add it as a label option. THAT doesn't change
            (much).

            > I know that with a lot of packets, the screen can get cluttered. If the data
            > shown can be selected based on station type and/or transport. The user could
            > select what is visible. For instance, it is likely a TM-D710 or FTM-350 may
            > be set to add the other side frequency but a 'tracker' it seems unlikely.
            > So, I would select the likely candidates only for time and information.

            You'll have to translate and detail "likely candidates" for me. On an
            item by item, platform by platform (see View / Platforms) basis.

            > Given the above example, I would probably leave 'transport' off since the
            > frequency is usually what I am after. But, then any frequency found would be
            > useful.

            I'm still not sure what you mean by "Transport" or are you referring to
            the View / Transport's top three selections? You can already filter the
            view to show only those and I'm not sure what seeing every station
            labeled with that bit would do for you.

            Frequency, as mentioned above, will be a label option and will only be
            included for those with parser-recognizable frequencies in their beacons.

            > Third, the above on a non-modal form? Is 'non-modal form' repetitiously
            > redundant?

            No, actually most "forms" are modal. Non-modals are actually relatively
            rare, useful in some circumstances, but not all.

            > I did read the weather data whenever possible. With the possibility of
            > freezing temps it seemed prudent.

            I like the weather data options on the labels, yes. I keep them turned
            on in one of my local instances and routinely ask AF4EX for the current
            temperature in the morning.

            > Hmm, maybe there is another request. Rather than just wide or narrow, how
            > about number of scrolling stations?

            Huh? Why? What are you hoping to accomplish with that one? Not sure I
            understand.

            > Thanks for the work you do Lynn!!!

            You're welcome. I'm going to have to try to get your response to these
            queries boiled into the (overdue for attention) ToDo list before the
            upcoming general release. (Not to mention boil down 700+ lines
            (double-spaced) of release notes that need to be summarized into a few
            (right) high points).

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 30, 2011
              On 11/29/2011 2:29 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
              >> The Tilt makes for fast starting and with a bluetooth connection to my
              TNC, connection doesn't get much easier.

              > Curious question: Are you using a direct Bluetooth connection from
              APRSISCE or did you pair the device to a COM port and are using that COMn as
              a Serial port from APRSISCE?

              Hmm, I remember you were doing some work that might eliminate pointing to a
              virtual COMport on the Tilt. At the time my focus was somewhere else and
              figured I had a working system that I didn't want to test/break. So, I am
              using COM1. I will have to go back through the messages/WIKI to get thinking
              about this again.

              >> BTW, the WIKI has a nice write-up on messaging.

              > That's nearly the first Wiki page I actually wrote too!

              It was an eye-opener for me.

              >> While away, I noticed the non-modal path form show up in an update.
              Sweet! I look forward to more eventually.

              > See View / Chooser. I like this one better than Screen / Paths, but
              they're very closely tied.

              Okay, time to play with something new! Maybe I can eliminate a few trips
              through the modal form.

              >> So, did Lynn take time out for Thanksgiving?

              > If you ask my YL, she'd say "no", but I cantered (sang) at Mass at 9:00
              and we had Thanksgiving lunch down there from 11:00-1:00 with some friends.
              There was more to the weekend as well, but not worth going into at this
              time.

              You were quite busy! I sat around and played Halo Anniversary and Portal2
              with my daughter between meals and other visiting.

              >> Now for the request, would it be possible to add additional data options
              to the station label?

              > Would this be only for the Following station or for all stations visible
              on the screen? IMHO, there's already too much there if you turn on all three
              speeds and altitude along with the call sign. And I still need to revisit
              the overlapping avoidance logic so that it doesn't treat all labels as the
              same number of lines as the current label. There's more whitespace around
              some station labels than is absolutely necessary.

              I agree that if I turn on all the options, it would be too much. I don't
              display altitude (although I still see it once on occasion) or speed. I
              consider those both to be options that are handy once in a while. If I was
              keeping track of a balloon (or something similar), then I would turn it on.

              >> First, elapsed time would be very handy. The netbook is on my 'scan
              frequently' list, rather than the 'scan always' list so I don't check the
              display and this would give an indication of how long ago the packet was
              received. I know I can get the info from clicking on the station icon but
              being part of the label would be faster and not require user interaction.

              > Think carefully about what you ask for. Consider that the elapsed time is
              constantly changing. Do you really want the entire circle updating every
              second just to have the elapsed time on the label? I don't think I'll do
              that, thanks. Drawing the circle is just WAY too CPU consuming to add
              something that's changing just because time is marching ever onwards.

              I have thought about it. I was wishing for it on this last trip. And,
              updating once every 1 minute would be fine enough resolution. In an RF only
              environment, there just isn't that many stations and I have a wide open 1000
              mile range. I hope to see as much as possible. I just finished a 3000 mile
              trip and sadly, I saw far less mobile stations than expected. If I traveled
              the same distance along the west coast, I might feel differently but I did
              travel from NH to AR and back. That included WB4APR's neighborhood. In fact,
              I saw WB4APR-15 in the scroller at one point.

              Just like the speed and altitude; elapsed time would only be an option. I
              don't think I would ever use it on my Tilt but that remains to be seen. I
              usually don't use the range ring or the "meatball" [sorry, just had to use
              James' word for it :D]. On my new netbook, CPU is a concern. My last netbook
              yes. :) Even then I ran 3 applications for; APRS, map and OBDII.

              >> Second, the transport and information (frequency, etc) would be nice as >
              well.

              > Huh? Not sure what you mean by transport and information? Once I add
              frequency recognition to the parser, there'll be a View / Frequency filter
              and I do plan to add it as a label option. THAT doesn't change (much).

              Sorry, I meant platform. I was running on sleeping brain cells yesterday;
              still am to some degree.

              >> I know that with a lot of packets, the screen can get cluttered. If the
              data shown can be selected based on station type and/or transport. The user
              could select what is visible. For instance, it is likely a TM-D710 or
              FTM-350 may be set to add the other side frequency but a 'tracker' it seems
              unlikely. So, I would select the likely candidates only for time and
              information.

              > You'll have to translate and detail "likely candidates" for me. On an item
              by item, platform by platform (see View / Platforms) basis.

              The 'likely candidates' are those platforms, TM-D710 or FTM-350, that are
              most likely to display their 'other side' operating frequency. I usually
              find those that run 'tracker only' and show a frequency are almost never
              using it.

              >> Given the above example, I would probably leave 'transport' off since the
              frequency is usually what I am after. But, then any frequency found would be
              useful.

              > I'm still not sure what you mean by "Transport" or are you referring to
              the View / Transport's top three selections? You can already filter the view
              to show only those and I'm not sure what seeing every station labeled with
              that bit would do for you.

              > Frequency, as mentioned above, will be a label option and will only be
              included for those with parser-recognizable frequencies in their beacons.

              The frequency is very desired. I don't care much about the platform, but,
              again, most frequencies from trackers are usually not in use. At least that
              has been my experience.

              The most consistent frequency status is those produced by the Kenwood and
              Yaesu radios when they are set to send the 'other side' for the QSY
              function. I see a lot of 'no-standard' which make it harder to parse. I have
              been working on this myself and have only focused on MIC-E packets for
              starters.

              >> Third, the above on a non-modal form? Is 'non-modal form' repetitiously
              redundant?

              > No, actually most "forms" are modal. Non-modals are actually relatively
              rare, useful in some circumstances, but not all.

              I agree. You use them in a few places but there could be more. This is not a
              "hurry up and get them in" request. I do like them!

              The modal form are useful for things that need a key click or two but more
              than that is tedious. You changed the path form to non-modal. Now, I open it
              and make a series of selections. Simple.

              This is the actual request. At some point in the future, the stations labels
              would be a great place for a non-modal form a well. Open the form, then
              select items of interest.

              I suspect on the mobile platform, the forms are probably harder to handle
              just because of the decreased display size.

              >> I did read the weather data whenever possible. With the possibility of
              freezing temps, it seemed prudent.

              > I like the weather data options on the labels, yes. I keep them turned on
              in one of my local instances and routinely ask AF4EX for the current
              temperature in the morning.

              On my desktop PC, I usually have the national weather service running so I
              usually have that option off.

              >> Hmm, maybe there is another request. Rather than just wide or narrow, how
              about number of scrolling stations?

              > Huh? Why? What are you hoping to accomplish with that one? Not sure I
              understand.

              I like to see as much map as possible and I always want more station
              information. The thought is that maybe somewhere between 6 stations and a
              full side bar there might exist a compromise. This was really mostly a
              passing thought as I recapped my trip experience. I wanted more stations,
              but as much map as possible.

              So, how do I fit a monster monitor in my Corolla? I ran two applications on
              the trip, and I usually run three. Maybe a small USB monitor? Hmm...

              >> Thanks for the work you do Lynn!!!

              > You're welcome. I'm going to have to try to get your response to these
              queries boiled into the (overdue for attention) ToDo list before the
              upcoming general release. (Not to mention boil down 700+ lines
              (double-spaced) of release notes that need to be summarized into a few
              (right) high points).

              Fred - N7FMH - Grateful user of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 30, 2011
                >>> The Tilt makes for fast starting and with a bluetooth connection to my
                TNC, connection doesn't get much easier.

                >> Curious question: Are you using a direct Bluetooth connection from
                APRSISCE or did you pair the device to a COM port and are using that COMn as
                a Serial port from APRSISCE?

                > Hmm, I remember you were doing some work that might eliminate pointing to
                a virtual COMport on the Tilt. At the time my focus was somewhere else and
                figured I had a working system that I didn't want to test/break. So, I am
                using COM1. I will have to go back through the messages/WIKI to get thinking
                about this again.

                I just went out and created a new port using the bluetooth support you added
                some time ago. Painless!

                Thanks for yet another super feature!

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 30, 2011
                  On 11/30/2011 1:09 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                  > I just went out and created a new port using the bluetooth support you added
                  > some time ago. Painless!
                  >
                  > Thanks for yet another super feature!

                  You're welcome. I've been running my KJ4ERJ-1 IGate that way since
                  shortly after it was implemented and my KJ4ERJ-12 to D700 TNC port is
                  also a direct Bluetooth connection. I'm glad you tried it because I'm
                  not sure how many others have actually used it.

                  I did get one report that it didn't work from a non-uSoft Bluetooth
                  stack which is unfortunate, but not unlikely as it's a uSoft socket spec
                  that I implemented. Pairing still works, but with direct Bluetooth, you
                  don't have to worry about port numbers. And the error messages and
                  retries are a bit quicker!

                  PS. The Bluetooth device type also works with Bluetooth GPSs, at least
                  it does with my DeLorme BlueLogger and BT-20s. It should be able to
                  connect to anything that offers SPP.
                • Rob Giuliano
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 30, 2011
                    I tried it with my Targus micro-bluetooth with a non-Microsoft stack.  I don't remember which I had because it is on my netbook which I don't have with me now.  I'll try and check later this evening.

                    Robert Giuliano
                    KB8RCO

                    On 11/30/2011 1:09 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                    > I just went out and created a new port using the bluetooth support you added
                    > some time ago. Painless!
                    >
                    > Thanks for yet another super feature!

                    You're welcome. I've been running my KJ4ERJ-1 IGate that way since
                    shortly after it was implemented and my KJ4ERJ-12 to D700 TNC port is
                    also a direct Bluetooth connection. I'm glad you tried it because I'm
                    not sure how many others have actually used it.

                    I did get one report that it didn't work from a non-uSoft Bluetooth
                    stack which is unfortunate, but not unlikely as it's a uSoft socket spec
                    that I implemented. Pairing still works, but with direct Bluetooth, you
                    don't have to worry about port numbers. And the error messages and
                    retries are a bit quicker!

                    PS. The Bluetooth device type also works with Bluetooth GPSs, at least
                    it does with my DeLorme BlueLogger and BT-20s. It should be able to
                    connect to anything that offers SPP.

                  • Krzysztof SQ5NWI
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011

                      I used and sometimes will use direct BT on my WebDT with WinCE to connect it to Nokia BT GPS.

                      It is very comfortable in comparison to pairing in usual way with COM ports usage.

                      --

                      Regards,

                      Krzysztof

                      SQ5NWI

                      On 11/30/2011 1:09 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

                      > I just went out and created a new port using the bluetooth support you added
                      > some time ago. Painless!
                      >
                      > Thanks for yet another super feature!

                      You're welcome. I've been running my KJ4ERJ-1 IGate that way since
                      shortly after it was implemented and my KJ4ERJ-12 to D700 TNC port is
                      also a direct Bluetooth connection. I'm glad you tried it because I'm
                      not sure how many others have actually used it.

                      I did get one report that it didn't work from a non-uSoft Bluetooth
                      stack which is unfortunate, but not unlikely as it's a uSoft socket spec
                      that I implemented. Pairing still works, but with direct Bluetooth, you
                      don't have to worry about port numbers. And the error messages and
                      retries are a bit quicker!

                      PS. The Bluetooth device type also works with Bluetooth GPSs, at least
                      it does with my DeLorme BlueLogger and BT-20s. It should be able to
                      connect to anything that offers SPP.

                    • g4ilo
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
                        I'm using it under WinMo for my G4ILO station. I did notice an issue that if the phone goes to sleep you lose the BT connection and in order to fix that I have to reboot the phone. But that isn't a problem I encounter very often as this phone sits in a powered cradle and runs 24/7.

                        Julian, G4ILO