Re: [aprsisce] IGate setup

  • Lee D Bengston
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2011
      On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      In McMinn Co, KG4FZR-7 functions as a two way Igate, sending all data it receives on RF to the internet, and sending only beacons and messages to RF from stations that are in the McMinn Co area and internet connected only, as well as WX data for this specific area only.

      Ouch!  No wonder they don't want more IGates!  "...McMinn Co area and internet connected only...".  Does that mean all of the iPhone, Android, and APRSISCE/32 -IS-only stations are being gated to RF?

      I read through their site a while back, and I think they are sending beacons from IS to RF for local stations that request it, so it wouldn't include the person passing through on their smartphone.

      Ah well, to each their own, I guess.  In it's default configuration, APRSISCE/32 will only gate -IS-sourced messages for recently local RF stations followed by a since location beacon from the source station.  Given the low frequency of message traffic (except between APRSIS32 users), they'd probably go a year or two before anyone would even notice.

      Yes, I agree.  They seem to think that anyone setting up an IGate would send all beacons from IS to RF.

      But as always, check with your local APRS-active stations before bringing transmitters of any sort on the air.  Even for "just a tracker" check into what paths are recommended in your locale.  And for a fixed station, you might even consider addressing the local (assuming it's stable) digi directly instead of a generic WIDE2-1, but you need to be ready to change your path should that digi ever go off the air.

      One could also do a test - in my case I used a THD7 on the 2nd floor of my house.  It was receiving a fair amount of traffic from local digipeater(s).  I sent it a message from a netbook running Xastir that had only an Internet connection. The HT received nothing.  Then I set up an IGate and tried the same thing.  The D7 got the message with either APRSIS32 or APRX performing the IGate function.

      I don't live in that area though.  I just happened along that site one day when googling around and noticed the IGate piece as well as UIView being the only APRS software mentioned.

      Regards,

      Lee - K5DAT