Re: [aprsisce] Feedback solicitation

    Message 1 of 34 , Dec 13, 2009
      Francisco Guerra wrote:

      >> The left/right arrow keys will vary the transparency of the maps. It
      >> defaults to 50% which is why it appears pale. If you crank it down
      >> (left) to zero, expect to see your stations jump as it switches from a
      >> Mercatur Projection required by the maps to a circular distance and
      >> bearing display centered on the screen center. Make some rather
      >> interesting displays if you're connected to a full feed.
      >>
      > Ok. But howto in Windows Mobile? I have not a wheel nor left/right keys.

      Which Windows Mobile platform do you have? There's no soft keyboard
      that can get you arrow keys? If not, how do you type text? Even if
      there's a small cursor moving rocker thing, that should generate
      left/right and up/down.

      > I think "mouse-hover" is a good approach.

      I'll see what I can come up with. My personal issue with hover is that
      I tend to just throw the mouse out of my active window and it distracts
      me to know end to see a hover pop-up appear from underneath wherever it
      happened to land. I understand the desire for window clarification, but
      I still believe that it's only good for about the first 2 or 3 days of
      usage.

      > I'm using a MFJ-1278 in a computer with Xastir and AGWPE+Ui-View in
      > another one with Windows XP and a soundcard.
      > It will be good if you can use the soundcard and/or the bluetooth in
      > both versions.

      I do plan to try to support AGWPE for SoundCard access. Given that
      programs can access it via TCP/IP, I can probably support it from
      Windows Mobile as well, but that would assume that you're actually
      co-resident with the non-Mobile PC running AGW. Or is there a SoundCard
      interface for Windows Mobile that I haven't heard of?

      > Ok. I can connect the MFJ via bluetooth with the Windows Mobile
      > device or with the desktop computer.

      Correct. That's my primary focus, at least initially. You should be
      able to use any serial TNC either via a direct serial port or via a
      Bluetooth to serial adapter.

      > The "+-" works different from other programms like Google Earth. In
      > Google "+" zooms in and "-" out.

      Yes it does. I did a survey earlier on and it ended up tied. Just
      think of + adding MORE stations to the screen and - displaying FEWER
      stations. I think of the focus of APRS being the visible stations, not
      the visible map. This may yet change in some future revision, however.

      > What does the color of the station mean? Usually they are green, but
      > some are black or red.

      The color of a station in the scrolling list indicates how far they are
      from the screen center. Green stations are probably not even visible
      or are at the edges of the map. A station in red is very near or
      actually at the center of the screen. Black stations have not yet
      transmitted a position packet so APRISCE doesn't know where they are.
      They typically don't have a symbol either.

      I'm considering displaying RF-received stations in BOLD in the scrolling
      station list, thoughts?

      > Can you configure the programs to use metric instead of imperial units?

      Metric display is on my ToDo list. As I see more non-US callsigns
      actively using the program, the priority of that task will rise.

      > Thank you

      You're welcome and thank you for the well-thought comments and bringing
      my attention to them! With enough feedback like this, we can make the
      program better and better in more ways than I can think of independently.

      73,

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 26, 2010
        m6xsd wrote:
        > Yep, point taken on 'Lost Fix' but I still think being able to select
        > pre-programmed static points when 'en-route' would be good, I can
        > think of quite a few situations where I would like to 'annouce'(for
        > want of a better word) that I'm not exactly where my GPS thinks I am
        > (or was).

        See Bob's APRS 1.1 extension called "Destination Waypoints" described at:

        http://wa8lmf.net/bruninga/APRS-docs/MOBILE.TXT

        This is part of the APRS 1.1 Spec Addendum you can see at:

        http://wa8lmf.net/bruninga/aprs/aprs11.html

        I'm considering supporting the ability to beacon a "destination
        waypoint" as well as interpret them and draw the lines that are
        described. I don't know how many other APRS clients do this, but it's
        part of the published spec, so I might as well support it! Who knows, I
        might even make it part of the Poll's () "slow beacon" mode!

        Oh, and another preview of things to come is that I'm designing a
        "coordinate picker" dialog that will embed the OpenStreetMap with pan
        and zoom to allow you to home in on and set a coordinate. It'll still
        support a variety of manually-entered coordinates, but you'll be able to
        see where you entered or enter what you see. - Thoughts?

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ