Heard by who???

  • Randy Love
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 98 KB
    Take a look at this capture.

    N8LTG-9 is in Dearborn, Michigan.

    In the info box, it says that LTG-9 was heard by N5NBJ.
    N5NBJ is in Harrison, Arkansas -- 695 miles away!

    I don't see any other stations in the area with a heard by from that station.

    Just a little puzzler....

    Randy
    WF5X
  • Charles Blackburn
    Message 2 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
      Someone put they're coordinates in wrong?

      I can do that with my HT, l put my ht in VK land and be heard by my station here ☺

      charlie
    • Randy Love
      Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
        On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Charles Blackburn <ai4ri@...> wrote:

        Someone put they're coordinates in wrong?

        I can do that with my HT, l put my ht in VK land and be heard by my station here ☺

        charlie

        Well, maybe, except:
        1) N8LTG-9 is the tracker in the XYL's car.
        2) Her tracker uses a GPS for the coordinate input
        3) N5NBJ does actually show up in Harrison, AR  and a F N5NBJ to WHO-IS gives his address as being in Harrison.

        Strange indeed.

        :)
        WF5X

        Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
          n 11/4/2011 9:57 PM, Randy Love wrote:
          Well, maybe, except:
          1) N8LTG-9 is the tracker in the XYL's car.
          2) Her tracker uses a GPS for the coordinate input
          3) N5NBJ does actually show up in Harrison, AR  and a F N5NBJ to WHO-IS gives his address as being in Harrison.

          And the screen cap was from an APRSIS32 instance feeding from APRS-IS exclusively?  Or does it have a local RF interface as well?

          How long had it been up and running when you did the capture?

          You didn't happen to have Enables / Logging / File Enabled checked along with Paths and/or APRS-IS and/or Packets?  That'd give me the absolute smoking gun that I'm after at this point.

          Message 5 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
            Take a look at your raw packets at aprs.fi: http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=N8LTG-9&limit=300&view=normal

            2011-11-04 20:59:10 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,WF5X:!/8vY59Mu->UEG
            2011-11-04 21:08:18 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,WF5X:>Lisa the Great! :) Not msg capable
            2011-11-04 21:08:18 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,WF5X-12:>Lisa the Great! :) Not msg capable
            2011-11-04 21:08:18 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,WF5X:>
            2011-11-04 21:09:49 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,WF5X:>
            2011-11-04 21:10:06 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,WF5X:!/8vWj9N5G>7QG
            2011-11-04 21:10:52 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,WF5X:>Lisa the Great! :) Not msg capable
            2011-11-04 21:10:52 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,WF5X-12:>Lisa the Great! :) Not msg capable
            2011-11-04 21:10:53 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,WF5X:!/8vVy9NG%>%BG
            2011-11-04 21:12:19 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,SHLBTP,VA3SWO-1*,qAS,VE3CTP:>
            2011-11-04 22:56:32 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAS,NS8E:>Lisa the Great! :) Not msg capable
            2011-11-04 22:56:33 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAS,NS8E:>
            2011-11-04 22:58:20 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,SFLDV*,WIDE1*,CHLSEA*,LANSNG*,WIDE2*,qAo,BANCFT:>Lisa the Great! :) Not msg capable

            I'm wondering about the 21:08:18 and 21:09:49 and 21:12:19 transmissions of an empty status report?  Seems like your OT2 is doing some strange things.  Then the 22:58:20 packet leaps out through a bunch of tactical digipeaters, but without a timestamp in the status report, there's no way to know if that's actually a delayed delivery of 22:56:32's packet.

            2011-11-04 23:02:03 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAS,NS8E:!/8w>M9NcZ>iAG
            2011-11-04 23:03:30 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,SHLBTP,VA3SWO-1*,qAS,VE3CTP:!/8w>I9Ne#>`BG [Duplicate position packet]

            2011-11-04 23:36:50 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,WF5X-12:!/8w789Ndl>|QG [Invalid compressed packet]

            2011-11-04 23:43:41 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAS,NS8E:!/8v@09KX&>hVG
            2011-11-04 23:44:15 UTC: N8LTG-9>APOT21,SHLBTP,VA3SWO-1*,qAS,VE3CTP:!/8vBd9LCi>iVG [Duplicate position packet]

            Again, without timestamp, we can't tell if VE3CTP is delaying packet delivery or not.  And that one invalid compressed packet sure seems to indicate another glitch in the system.

            I still haven't found evidence of it, but I'm wondering if someone either gated a position packet out to a remote RF somewhere within earshot of N5NBJ, or something like that.  Mysteries all.  But if you're really interested in tracking them down and you have the disk space, and you're not drawing too big of a feed, then toggling the following enables on will give you the evidence we'll need in your APRSIS32*.LOG files.

            All under Enables / Logging:
            File Enabled
            Paths
            Packets
            APRS-IS

            Message 6 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011

              Well according to aprs.fi…. http://aprs.fi/info/a/N5NBJ

              K5dcm-9, ke5clw-7, n5nbj-9, n5cds and n3ql-1 are the only ones that station has heard on RF today

              charlie

            • Charles Blackburn
              Message 7 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
                I also noticed that on the current "1 hour" track displayed on aprs.fi, that
                most of the posits have "no fix" attached to them. For example:

                2011-11-05 00:28:19z
                14 MPH 76°
                NO FIX
                Lisa the Great! :) Not msg capable
                [APOT21 via WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,N8OEJ]
                being tracked · stop tracking · track in Street View

                just a thought, maybe having GPS issues?

                charlie
              • Randy Love
                Message 8 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
                  Lynn -

                  RF and IS connected APRSIS32 instance. Running only a short while prior to that capture, and the instance is still running if you want the logs saved.

                  Charles - APRS.FI will not update the status if the status is empty. I need to recheck the programming on that T2-135 and see that I didn't accidentally clear the GPS ok message and, thus making aprs.fi only show NO FIX for the status when it's actually ok.

                  As for delayed packets, we've been trying to get the digi's in the area squared away, but some people are hard to get in contact with and others just don't seem to care.

                  I've toyed with enabling the timestamp on that particular T2-135, but just haven't done it -- yet.

                  WF5X
                • Randy Love
                  Message 9 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
                  Oh, and here's something else that's interesting:
                  The capture of thedetails box for SFLDV.

                  Interesting feat, I must say!

                  WF5X

                  Message 10 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
                    >You didn't happen to have Enables / Logging / File Enabled checked    along with Paths >and/or APRS-IS and/or Packets?  That'd give me the    absolute smoking gun that I'm >after at this point.

                    Just enabled them all and checked file enabled.

                    Lemme restart the instance and see if the problem comes back.

                    Randy
                    Message 11 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
                      On 11/4/2011 10:55 PM, Randy Love wrote: RF and IS connected APRSIS32 instance. Running only a short while prior to that capture, and the instance is still running if you want the logs saved.

                      If you had Packets or at least <YourPortName> trace logging enabled (along with File Enabled), then your APRSIS32*.LOG files might have what I need if the (offending) packet came in via RF.

                      Regardless, send me all of the APRSIS32*.LOG files that you have in the directory that instance runs within.

                      Also, I'm not sure this will work, but select your wife's station and do Screen / Paths / Age / All and see where all her paths go (provided the station(s) haven't aged off of the display).  If it shows a link to the mystery gate, then add a Screen / Paths / LclRF Only and see if the link stays.  If so, it came in via RF as strange as that may seem.

                      Also, if you still have the instance running, do a Screen / Follow / Find on N5NBJ and bring up his station information popup.  See what hourly packets you've heard from him and whether or not there's a +R along the way.

                    • Randy Love
                      Message 12 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
                      Well, here's the Multi-Track of her zoomed out to show both areas AR and MI.
                      Path is all, *NOT*  RF only... no path line between AR and MI...

                      Logs coming to you via direct email.

                      WF5X

                      Message 13 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
                        N5NBJ isn't even a station, it's an object spewer that even spews an object of itself:

                        http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=N5NBJ

                        I might know what the problem is.  If you check random stations all over your map, do you see N5NBJ on a bunch of them?  If so, that's actually ME, your own station.  I had an oversight in the name/index/location list that was originally added to fix the friend filter and has since been leveraged to provide quick-access names for the HeardBy and Hearing lists.  The bust was that ME wasn't going into the list, but was claiming to be index 0 of that list.  So, whatever station you heard first, becomes ME in the HeardBy and Hearing lists.

                        I haven't released that fix yet because I've been fixing some other refresh issues so that Screen / Paths / Age / Flash (10s) works better.

                        Watch for a release of that before the night's out as I believe I've got it all working better.  And there's even a configuration for Screen / Paths / Max Length so that I can extend it enough to see 30m HF hops (like the direct reception of IW4EGP-4 by KJ4ERJ-2 over a single hop of 5,050 miles at 48 degrees from my station).  The default "reasonable" hop distance is 400 miles/kilometers (whichever units you use, the raw default is 400).  Hops longer than this will not be drawn, but they WILL be recorded just in case you want to open up the range sometime.

                        Message 14 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
                          Yes, you are correct.

                          I didn't notice it on several other local stations of all kinds, digi's, mobiles, and a few houses.

                          Man, you're good!  :)

                          WF5X

                          Message 15 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
                            The restarted instance has selected a new ficticious igate: KB8BGK-3,  D700 mobile up near Bay City!
                            No path lines appear between KB8BGK-3 and the stations around me that say they were heard by it.

                            Lemme get you those logs emailed direct to you directly. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=directly

                            Randy

                              Message 17 of 18 , Nov 4, 2011
                                A-rite.

                                Thank ye much.

                                Randy

                              • kb8uih@charter.net
                                Message 18 of 18 , Nov 5, 2011
                                  KC8BGK-3 is a real station near Bay City.  NOT KB8BGK.

                                  73,
                                  Chris
                                  KB8UIH

                                  "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

                                  On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

                                  Don't bother.  Just pull the new version and you shouldn't see the     issue any more.  It'll have ME's callsign in there where it belongs.

                                  On 11/4/2011 11:56 PM, Randy Love wrote: The restarted instance has selected a new ficticious igate:         KB8BGK-3,  D700 mobile up near Bay City!

[...]

                                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for                             Windows Mobile and Win32