TNC Wiki - Kenwood TM-D710 Port (APRS mode)

  • Stan Leeds
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
      After seeing Steve's, G6UIM re-rendition of the Wiki page (looks good so far), I also visited the http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port:kenwood-tm-d710
      Kenwood TM-D710 Port (APRS mode).

      It seemed it needed some menu options from the radio, so I thought I'd pass them on.

      [603] WAYPOINT
      FORMAT: Options are Kenwood, NMEA, Magellan
      NAME: Options are 6-CHAR, thru 9-CHAR
      OUTPUT: Options are ALL, LOCAL, FILTERED

      [604] COM PORT
      OUTPUT: Options are ON & OFF

      So for this Wiki page, my suggestions are:
      [603] WAYPOINT
      FORMAT: Kenwood
      NAME: 9-CHAR
      OUTPUT: ALL
      [604] COM PORT
      OUTPUT: ON

      My question is: What mode does the TNC on the radio need to be in when you connect?

      I have also tried the CONVERSE mode of talking with the radio, per a previous message from Lynn, which puts APRS32 in control of all functions and it seemed to worked.  But I have to revisit it to see what it was I did to make it work.

      I'm wanting both options to select for different purposes.

      Stan, KC7EHJ

    • kb8uih@charter.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
        Kenwood needs to be in "Packet" mode to be controlled by outside program. Has Lynn made a work around for this?

        Sent from my BlackBerry® powered by Virgin Mobile.

        From: Stan Leeds <srkleeds@...>
        Sender: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 20:51:58 -0400
        To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [aprsisce] TNC Wiki - Kenwood TM-D710 Port (APRS mode)

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
          D710s, using the Kwd710(APRS) and Kwd710(TNC) options in APRSISCE/32 can theoretically be in any mode when you start APRSISCE/32 or enable the port.  A collection of command provided by Kai Gunter Brandt attempts to get the radio to switch to the proper mode regardless of where it started.  D72s, I've heard, have the same feature when using one of these modes.

          D7s and D700s, AFAIK, need to be in TNC mode to do anything, BEFORE starting APRSISCE/32 or enabling the RF port.

          On 11/2/2011 9:35 PM, kb8uih@... wrote: Kenwood needs to be in "Packet" mode to be controlled by outside program. Has Lynn made a work around for this?

          Sent from my BlackBerry® powered by Virgin Mobile.

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
            Hi, according to my D700 manual the radio has to be in "Packet" mode before an external software can control it. Just putting it in TNC mode let's its internal firmware control its APRS functions. These are two different parameters for the radio. Unless you have a workarond with your software, it won't work when connected to APRSICE 32

            Sent from my BlackBerry® powered by Virgin Mobile.

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
              You are correct, and it's my bad for not going to actually eye-ball my own D700.  There's a TNC Packet mode and TNC APRS modes.  It must be in the Packet mode in order for APRSISCE/32 to talk to it.

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
                On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Stan Leeds <srkleeds@...> wrote:

                > It seemed it needed some menu options from the radio, so I thought I'd pass them on.
                >
                > [603] WAYPOINT
                > FORMAT: Options are Kenwood, NMEA, Magellan
                > NAME: Options are 6-CHAR, thru 9-CHAR
                > OUTPUT: Options are ALL, LOCAL, FILTERED
                >
                > [604] COM PORT
                > OUTPUT: Options are ON & OFF
                >
                > So for this Wiki page, my suggestions are:
                > [603] WAYPOINT
                > FORMAT: Kenwood
                > NAME: 9-CHAR
                > OUTPUT: ALL
                > [604] COM PORT
                > OUTPUT: ON

                Menu 603 has no bearing on the operation of APRSISCE/32 with the D710.
                The WAYPOINT OUTPUT function controls the output from the radio to the
                attached GPS. The settings used here are dependent upon the type of
                GPS being used in conjunction with the D710, and as such there would
                need to be a huge table of settings with each and every GPS that could
                be used with the D710, and the appropriate settings. Headless GPS
                units, such as the popular GPS710 from Greenlight Labs requires
                nothing for WAYPOINT OUTPUT.

                Menu 604 on the other hand has bearing on the operation of
                APRSISCE/32, and should be enabled.

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
                  On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 7:35 PM, <kb8uih@...> wrote:

                  > Kenwood needs to be in "Packet" mode to be controlled by
                  > outside program. Has Lynn made a work around for this?

                  As this thread is directed at the Kenwood TM-D710, the answer is "No"
                  to the requirement of needing to be in Packet mode, and "Yes", Lynn
                  has made a work around which allows APRSISCE/32 to control the Kenwood
                  TM-D710 while the Kenwood TM-D710 is in APRS mode.

                  This type of control is also available in the Kenwood TH-D72. It is
                  not available in the older TM-D700, nor TH-D7 radios.

                • kb8uih@charter.net
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
                    Thanks, I saw the port option for the 710. I need the option for the 700. I posted a thread for the 700. Apparently it didn't get posted correctly. I can't spend the $ for the 710.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
                      Thank you for the D700 reminder! I've done some experimentation with a
                      Bluetooth connection from my phone to the D700 for a KISS port and found
                      that the default KISS <CloseCmd>s seem to send the D700 out to lunch. I
                      now use the following on my D700 KISS port:

                      <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>LOC E 0</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>LTMON 5</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>LTMHEAD OFF</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>GPSTEXT $GPRMC</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>XFLOW OFF</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>FULLDUP OFF</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>KISS ON</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>RESTART!RESTART!2</OpenCmd>
                      <CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!cmd:!5</CloseCmd>

                      I WILL be getting these into a standard port type eventually (hopefully
                      sooner than later given the nudge).

                      Oh, and the radio DOES need to be in TNC Packet mode before starting
                      APRSISCE/32 or enabling the port. If you power-cycle the radio, you'll
                      have to disable/re-enable the APRSISCE/32 port to put it back into KISS
                      mode, but at least that WORKS with this set of commands and doesn't seem
                      to work with the default KISS commands.

                      PS. I've also experimented with using an NMEA passthrough from the D700
                      into my WebDT366, but I managed to lose the settings that I have on it
                      but I believe it was just a TEXT port with NMEA checked and the
                      following commands (guessing, if someone tries this, let me know if I
                      have it right):

                      <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>LOC E 0</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>LTMON 5</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>LTMHEAD OFF</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>GPSTEXT $GPRMC</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>XFLOW OFF</OpenCmd>
                      <OpenCmd>FULLDUP OFF</OpenCmd>
                      <CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>

                      In actual fact, the LTMON, LTMHEAD, and GPSTEXT commands are probably
                      not necessary in the KISS-protocol port which would probably enable
                      faster if I ever get around to removing them!

                      On 11/3/2011 8:09 AM, kb8uih@... wrote:
                      > Thanks, I saw the port option for the 710. I need the option for the 700. I posted a thread for the 700. Apparently it didn't get posted correctly. I can't spend the $ for the 710.
                      > Sent from my BlackBerry® powered by Virgin Mobile.

                    • kf4lvz
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011

                        > On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 7:35 PM, <kb8uih@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Kenwood needs to be in "Packet" mode to be controlled by
                        > > outside program. Has Lynn made a work around for this?
                        >
                        > As this thread is directed at the Kenwood TM-D710, the answer is "No"
                        > to the requirement of needing to be in Packet mode, and "Yes", Lynn
                        > has made a work around which allows APRSISCE/32 to control the Kenwood
                        > TM-D710 while the Kenwood TM-D710 is in APRS mode.
                        >
                        > This type of control is also available in the Kenwood TH-D72. It is
                        > not available in the older TM-D700, nor TH-D7 radios.

                        This is a half-truth. It is possible on the D700 and D7 (same TNC) to drop out of TNC control mode into radio control mode in either of the TNC conditions (packet or APRS) via the serial port as long as KISS is not enabled. In both cases it would allow a host program to alter various internal menu options including activating the TNC in a specific mode. If KISS is enabled, the TNC has to be dropped out of KISS first and back into command mode before you can drop out of that to rad\io control mode. Once in radio control mode, many of the internal APRS functions are available and the radio can be sort of commanded to do things like transmit a particular packet. However it would take a lot of programming on the host side to achieve this including trying to do tests to determine what mode the radio is in.
                      • Bill Vodall
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011

                          > > > Kenwood needs to be in "Packet" mode to be controlled by
                          > > > outside program. Has Lynn made a work around for this?

                          > >. It is possible on the D700 and D7 (same TNC) to drop out of TNC control mode into radio control mode in either of the TNC conditions (packet or APRS) via the serial port as long as KISS is not enabled.

                          Actually it's a known bug in the Kenwood's KISS implementation that it
                          will respond to the radio control commands that are part of a KISS
                          packet data field. The WL2K dev team discovered this. Their
                          software and the BPQ32 packet stack have coded a KISS escape function
                          that prevents this from happening.

                          Yes - a beacon with the right asci text could theoretically remotely
                          kick Kenwood radios out of Kiss mode and maybe ever change their
                          frequency...

                          73
                          Bill - WA7NWP
                        • kb8uih@charter.net
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 5, 2011
                            Bill,
                            Can u enlighten me on this issue? I only wanted to be sure I can use
                            Lynn's program with my D700. I saw the port connection for the 710 but
                            not the 700. They have different TNC configurations.

                            73,
                            Chris
                            KB8UIH

                            "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

                            On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Bill Vodall wrote:

                            >>> . It is possible on the D700 and D7 (same TNC) to drop out of TNC
                            >>> control mode into radio control mode in either of the TNC conditions
                            >>> (packet or APRS) via the serial port as long as KISS is not enabled.
                            >
                            > Actually it's a known bug in the Kenwood's KISS implementation that it
                            > will respond to the radio control commands that are part of a KISS
                            > packet data field. The WL2K dev team discovered this. Their
                            > software and the BPQ32 packet stack have coded a KISS escape function
                            > that prevents this from happening.
                            >
                            > Yes - a beacon with the right asci text could theoretically remotely
                            > kick Kenwood radios out of Kiss mode and maybe ever change their
                            > frequency...
                            >
                            > 73
                            > Bill - WA7NWP

                          • Billy Mason
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 5, 2011

                              Chris,

                              Lynn posted a message the other day for the D700 that had the correct settings. See message 13614 in the Yahoo Group for complete details. I use it for my  home station, and can verify that it works well, extracts from my config file are below. Ensure that your D-700 is in packet mode before starting APRISICE/32, then enable the port, your should be good to go.

                              Extracted from a working APRISICE/32 .xml config file

                              (Note, either one of the below RFPort configs work properly)

                              <!--RFPort[0]-->

                              <RFPort Name="D700 KISS">

                              <Protocol>KWD700(KISS)</Protocol>

                              <Device>COM1:9600,N,8,1</Device>

                              <RfBaud>1200</RfBaud>

                              <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>

                              <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>

                              <OpenCmd>XFLOW OFF</OpenCmd>

                              <OpenCmd>FULLDUP OFF</OpenCmd>

                              <OpenCmd>KISS ON</OpenCmd>

                              <OpenCmd>RESTART!!0</OpenCmd>

                              <CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>

                              <QuietTime>0</QuietTime>

                              <Enabled>0</Enabled>

                              <XmitEnabled>1</XmitEnabled>

                              <ProvidesNMEA>0</ProvidesNMEA>

                              <RFtoISEnabled>1</RFtoISEnabled>

                              <IStoRFEnabled>1</IStoRFEnabled>

                              <MyCallNot3rd>0</MyCallNot3rd>

                              <BeaconingEnabled>1</BeaconingEnabled>

                              <BeaconPath></BeaconPath>

                              <BulletinObjectEnabled>1</BulletinObjectEnabled>

                              <MessagesEnabled>1</MessagesEnabled>

                              <MessagePath></MessagePath>

                              <TelemetryEnabled>0</TelemetryEnabled>

                              <TelemetryPath></TelemetryPath>

                              <!--DigiXform-->

                              </RFPort>

                              <!--RFPort[0]-->

                              <!--RFPort[1]-->

                              <RFPort Name="D700 KISS (Lynn)">

                              <Protocol>KWD700(KISS)</Protocol>

                              <Device>COM1:9600,N,8,1</Device>

                              <RfBaud>1200</RfBaud>

                              <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>

                              <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>

                              <OpenCmd>LOC E 0</OpenCmd>

                              <OpenCmd>LTMON 5</OpenCmd>

                              <OpenCmd>LTMHEAD OFF</OpenCmd>

                              <OpenCmd>GPSTEXT $GPRMC</OpenCmd>

                              <OpenCmd>XFLOW OFF</OpenCmd>

                              <OpenCmd>FULLDUP OFF</OpenCmd>

                              <OpenCmd>KISS ON</OpenCmd>

                              <OpenCmd>RESTART!RESTART!2</OpenCmd>

                              <CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!cmd:!5</CloseCmd>

                              <QuietTime>0</QuietTime>

                              <Enabled>1</Enabled>

                              <XmitEnabled>1</XmitEnabled>

                              <ProvidesNMEA>0</ProvidesNMEA>

                              <RFtoISEnabled>1</RFtoISEnabled>

                              <IStoRFEnabled>1</IStoRFEnabled>

                              <MyCallNot3rd>0</MyCallNot3rd>

                              <BeaconingEnabled>1</BeaconingEnabled>

                              <BeaconPath></BeaconPath>

                              <BulletinObjectEnabled>1</BulletinObjectEnabled>

                              <MessagesEnabled>1</MessagesEnabled>

                              <MessagePath></MessagePath>

                              <TelemetryEnabled>0</TelemetryEnabled>

                              <TelemetryPath></TelemetryPath>

                              <!--DigiXform-->

                              </RFPort>

                              <!--RFPort[1]-->

                              Billy Mason, KD5KNR

                              Bedford, TX

                              Can u enlighten me on this issue?  I only wanted to be sure I can use Lynn's program with my D700.  I saw the port connection for the 710 but not the 700.  They have different TNC configurations.

                              73,

                              Chris

                              KB8UIH

                              >>> . It is possible on the D700 and D7 (same TNC) to drop out of TNC

                              >>> control mode into radio control mode in either of the TNC conditions

                              >>> (packet or APRS) via the serial port as long as KISS is not enabled.

                              > Actually it's a known bug in the Kenwood's KISS implementation that it

                              > will respond to the radio control commands that are part of a KISS

                              > packet data field.   The WL2K dev team discovered this.  Their

                              > software and the BPQ32 packet stack have coded a KISS escape function

                              > that prevents this from happening.

                              > Yes - a beacon with the right asci text could theoretically remotely

                              > kick Kenwood radios out of Kiss mode and maybe ever change their

                              > frequency...

                              > 73

                              > Bill - WA7NWP

                              <*> Your email settings:

                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:

                                 (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:

                                  aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                  aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • kb8uih@charter.net

                                Can u enlighten me on this issue?  I only wanted to be sure I can use Lynn's program with my D700.  I saw the port connection for the 710 but not the 700.  They have different TNC configurations.

                                73,
                                Chris
                                KB8UIH

                                >>> . It is possible on the D700 and D7 (same TNC) to drop out of TNC
                                >>> control mode into radio control mode in either of the TNC conditions
                                >>> (packet or APRS) via the serial port as long as KISS is not enabled.
                                >
                                > Actually it's a known bug in the Kenwood's KISS implementation that it
                                > will respond to the radio control commands that are part of a KISS
                                > packet data field.   The WL2K dev team discovered this.  Their
                                > software and the BPQ32 packet stack have coded a KISS escape function
                                > that prevents this from happening.
                                >
                                > Yes - a beacon with the right asci text could theoretically remotely
                                > kick Kenwood radios out of Kiss mode and maybe ever change their
                                > frequency...
                                >
                                > 73
                                > Bill - WA7NWP

                                <*> Your email settings:
                                    Individual Email | Traditional

                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                                <*> To change settings via email:

                              • kb8uih@charter.net

                                  Can u enlighten me on this issue?  I only wanted to be sure I can use Lynn's program with my D700.  I saw the port connection for the 710 but not the 700.  They have different TNC configurations.

                                  73,
                                  Chris
                                  KB8UIH

                                  >>> . It is possible on the D700 and D7 (same TNC) to drop out of TNC
                                  >>> control mode into radio control mode in either of the TNC conditions
                                  >>> (packet or APRS) via the serial port as long as KISS is not enabled.
                                  >
                                  > Actually it's a known bug in the Kenwood's KISS implementation that it
                                  > will respond to the radio control commands that are part of a KISS
                                  > packet data field.   The WL2K dev team discovered this.  Their
                                  > software and the BPQ32 packet stack have coded a KISS escape function
                                  > that prevents this from happening.
                                  >
                                  > Yes - a beacon with the right asci text could theoretically remotely
                                  > kick Kenwood radios out of Kiss mode and maybe ever change their
                                  > frequency...
                                  >
                                  > 73
                                  > Bill - WA7NWP

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                      Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:

                                • ae5jo
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 6, 2011
                                    It is possible also to have the DM-D700 or TH-D7 in APRS mode, then have the software switch the radio to Packet mode, load up then configure the TNC automatically, similar to the config settings Billy posted, but you have to remember to disable the port before closing APRSIS32 to return the radio to APRS configuration. I will try to find them again.. otherwise Lynn... I emailed them to you about a year or so... maybe you still have them?

                                    73
                                    John
                                    AE5JO

                                    --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, kb8uih@... wrote:

> [...]
                                    > <Device>COM1:9600,N,8,1</Device>
                                    > <RfBaud>1200</RfBaud>
                                    > <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
                                    > <OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
                                    > <OpenCmd>LOC E 0</OpenCmd>
                                    > <OpenCmd>LTMON 5</OpenCmd>
                                    > <OpenCmd>LTMHEAD OFF</OpenCmd>
                                    > <OpenCmd>GPSTEXT $GPRMC</OpenCmd>
                                    > <OpenCmd>XFLOW OFF</OpenCmd>
                                    > <OpenCmd>FULLDUP OFF</OpenCmd>
                                    > <OpenCmd>KISS ON</OpenCmd>
                                    > <OpenCmd>RESTART!RESTART!2</OpenCmd>
                                    > <CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!cmd:!5</CloseCmd>
                                    > <QuietTime>0</QuietTime>
                                    > <Enabled>1</Enabled>
                                    > <XmitEnabled>1</XmitEnabled>
                                    > <ProvidesNMEA>0</ProvidesNMEA>
                                    > <RFtoISEnabled>1</RFtoISEnabled>
                                    > <IStoRFEnabled>1</IStoRFEnabled>
                                    > <MyCallNot3rd>0</MyCallNot3rd>
                                    > <BeaconingEnabled>1</BeaconingEnabled>
                                    > <BeaconPath></BeaconPath>
                                    > <BulletinObjectEnabled>1</BulletinObjectEnabled>

                                  • Kai Gunter Brandt
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 7, 2011
                                      On 11/06/2011 03:20 PM, ae5jo wrote:
                                      > It is possible also to have the DM-D700 or TH-D7 in APRS mode, then have the software switch the radio to Packet mode, load up then configure the TNC automatically, similar to the config settings Billy posted, but you have to remember to disable the port before closing APRSIS32 to return the radio to APRS configuration. I will try to find them again.. otherwise Lynn... I emailed them to you about a year or so... maybe you still have them?
                                      >
                                      > 73
                                      > John
                                      > AE5JO

                                      You do not need to put the radio in TNC mode. You can receive stations
                                      in APRS mode and you can also send/receive messages and still be using
                                      i.e APRSISCE just like the TM-D710 if Lynn do a small change in the
                                      software.

                                      I don't remember if it's possible to i.e send a object etc from the
                                      software without leaving the APRS mode with the TS/TC command but i can
                                      check this when i'm home from work.

                                      Lynn did you get the e-mail from me with more details? I used the yahoo
                                      group to send the message so i'm not sure if it worked ok.

                                      Kai Gunter
                                      LA3QMA