Re: [aprsisce] Getting Permission

    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 1, 2011
      Keep searching, if you all can find an OSM lookalike, I'm all for changing out the defaults as well as publishing instructions for existing users on how to change their own map tile server.

      I'm thinking that for Cloudmade, it might be good if I sign up for a "generic" APRSISCE/32 tile key (maybe one each for building into the defaults) with a possible recommendation that heavy and advanced APRSISCE/32 users sign up and get their own key.  That way, we distribute the load across multiple keys so they don't think it's all coming from one place.

      I haven't read the API key terms, but that seems like a reasonable approach unless they have words against it.

      PS.  Now, to make the thread count somehow configurable by tile server, but yet not allow over-zealous users to overburden OSM.  Neat trick, configurability yet limits on selected uses of same...

      Please excuse brevity and typos.  Sent from my iPhone

      On 2011-11-01, at 5:59 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

      On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Keehan Dowd <keehan.dowd@...> wrote:

      > I've been digging around Cloudmade today and from this page here:
      > http://developers.cloudmade.com/projects/tiles/documents they pretty
      > much say do as much parallel downloading as you can and cause as
      > much traffic as you can their way (near the bottom of the page).

      As in this quote:

      "Parallel downloads are a useful technique to get around the simultaneous
      image-connection limits in many browsers - we're happy to take all the traffic
      you want to send!"

      > In the lower-right of each style, there's the style number.  Style number
      > 1 is the original OSM map that APRSISCE/32 uses.

      Nope, not quite...

      This is Mapnik

      and this is Cloudmade style 1

      I've been browsing to try and find a style identical to Mapnik, but have not found it yet. There are thousands of styles, but many of them are less than useful where people have been fiddling around, but have not created a really decent output. That doesn't mean it isn't there, or we can't create one.

      > Is it worth considering to make Clouldmade the default tile server?

      If we can find a decent replica of the Mapnik style, there should be no reason to not make it the default. The OSM servers have always stated that they are not for production sized tile serving. APRSISCE/32 is not going to be getting fewer and fewer users, making less and less demand on the OSM servers. Cloudmade is designed to be a heavy use tile server. Point to Cloudmade.

      Oh wow, side by side and the differences are clear between style 1 and Mapnik.  I was flipping back and forth noticed that the style 1 colors were stronger, but I completely missed the other differences!

      I'll continue searching for a suitable alternative style.

      Thanks for pointing it out James.

      Regards,
      Keehan.

    • metalhead@exemail.com.au
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 1, 2011
        hi Keehan - VE6XVK (ex VK4)
        Thanks for the help, i have it all going right now, well the way i want it
        till i change it again.. hi hi..
        Re the Echolink system, YES i do run a echolink node under VK2BLO-L node
        number 270506, and Yes Darrell VK2JDE from Bathurst, has been working it
        hard. I have had it going for some time now, around 3 years on this call
        and some 5 years on the old call. i work it through the local repeater
        VK2RAO (FRED), as it's call. I love playing with it, running a weather
        station on it as well, same with APRSis, look up VK2BLO-1 on APRSis, QTH
        Orange, New south wales, Australia.
        I try and spend the best part of the day after work, working on the PC's
        it keeps me out of trouble most of the time..
        Thank to Lynn to i have the APRSis stuff filling up the day as well, just
        love it. Luckily this side i have a friend here VK2ASY Kim, he has put a
        great deal of time into this stuff as well APRSis that is, so most of the
        time i am calling him and finding all the new stuff going on with it now.
        This si going on to much, so i will leave it at that now.
        Chat later.. local time here is 15:40 Wednesday 2/11/11.

        Cheers Pete VK2BLO