Re: [aprsisce] Getting Permission (was: OpenStreetMap - Tiles Usage Policy)

  • Keehan Dowd
    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 1, 2011
      On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:52 AM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

      Probably the first thing that should happen is that the original
      Mapnik style be removed, and replaced with another map source. Those
      that just use the default tile set would not affect the OSM servers.
      Changing to a source such as Cloudmade (who I think are designed to be
      serving maps) would make sense. I don't know the terms of use at
      Cloudmade, so perhaps I'm just moving the problem.

      I've been digging around Cloudmade today and from this page here: http://developers.cloudmade.com/projects/tiles/documents they pretty much say do as much parallel downloading as you can and cause as much traffic as you can their way (near the bottom of the page).

      I also believe that you can create your own custom map style at
      Cloudmade, which means you don't have to complain that the colours
      aren't right, or the information you want to see is not displayed on
      your map even though the data is available.

      Yup!  There are literally thousands of map styles availalble.  If you want to check them out, have a peek here: http://maps.cloudmade.com/editor  You can also create your own style if you like.

      In the lower-right of each style, there's the style number.  Style number 1 is the original OSM map that APRSISCE/32 uses.

      From the APRSISCE/32 Wiki page on map tiles, in the examples of tile servers, the Cloudmade URL is shown as:
      /BC9A493B41014CAABB98F0471D759707/999/256/
      or
      /BC9A493B41014CAABB98F0471D759707/8/256/
      That second last number (999 or 8) is the style number, so if you see another style you like, just substitue its number and you're good to go.

      There's also a neat suffix you can add to the style to get double resolution tiles that (apparently) look much better on the more recent hi-resolution mobile device screens.  I haven't really played with this option much though.  To get the double-rez tiles, just add @2X after the style number, eg. /999@2X/

      Is it worth considering to make Clouldmade the default tile server?

      Regards,
      Keehan - VE6XVK
    • metalhead@exemail.com.au
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 1, 2011
        hi Keehan - VE6XVK (ex VK4)
        Thanks for the help, i have it all going right now, well the way i want it
        till i change it again.. hi hi..
        Re the Echolink system, YES i do run a echolink node under VK2BLO-L node
        number 270506, and Yes Darrell VK2JDE from Bathurst, has been working it
        hard. I have had it going for some time now, around 3 years on this call
        and some 5 years on the old call. i work it through the local repeater
        VK2RAO (FRED), as it's call. I love playing with it, running a weather
        station on it as well, same with APRSis, look up VK2BLO-1 on APRSis, QTH
        Orange, New south wales, Australia.
        I try and spend the best part of the day after work, working on the PC's
        it keeps me out of trouble most of the time..
        Thank to Lynn to i have the APRSis stuff filling up the day as well, just
        love it. Luckily this side i have a friend here VK2ASY Kim, he has put a
        great deal of time into this stuff as well APRSis that is, so most of the
        time i am calling him and finding all the new stuff going on with it now.
        This si going on to much, so i will leave it at that now.
        Chat later.. local time here is 15:40 Wednesday 2/11/11.

        Cheers Pete VK2BLO