Re: Getting Permission (was: OpenStreetMap - Tiles Usage Policy)

  • thecoremaster64
    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 1, 2011

      > On 10/31/2011 6:18 AM, thecoremaster64 wrote:
      > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)"<kj4erj@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> I will be reviewing APRSISCE/32's compliance with the remainder of the
      > >> current policy, but in the meantime, can you provide the proper venue
      > >> for me to get "permission from the System Administrators" to continue to
      > >> distribute APRSISCE/32 with a default option of displaying
      > >> OpenStreetMap.org maps? I have looked at
      > >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/System_Administrators, but it doesn't
      > >> provide a hint as to how to contact the Administrators as a group.
      > > Well indeed I cant provide you any "ok" but I know that your tools isn't endanger OSM at all. With my mail I tried to show you, the amount of usage of our tiles and that it would be great if you find a alternative within the next month. But nobody will kick you from the servers. But I expect a lot of traffic because Google changed it license terms, so OSM can get unstable for a while when to much people now change over to our map servers.
      >
      > I understand that you are not empowered to approve continued use of the
      > OSM tile servers by APRSISCE/32, but is there a way that I CAN acquire
      > that approval? A group e-mail address or something like that to which
      > I can present my request?

      Guess the best way would be to use this contacts:
      http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Operations_Working_Group
      http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/System_Administrators (require OSM wiki Account)

      Sounds interesting. Maybee integration www.osmbugs.org might be a first step towards?

      > Another ToDo list item is to develop my own OSM vector data client and
      > local rendering solution so as to eliminate my use of the OSM Tile
      > servers completely and provide the local user with on-demand rendering
      > of their local map. However, I've not been able to dedicate my
      > development efforts into that area just yet. Maybe now is the time, in
      > order to get off of the OSM Tile servers completely?
      Wow great. Maybe you doesn't have to reinvent the wheel wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Frameworks
      But unfortunatly there is real good major offline rendering framework :/

      > Finally, APRSISCE/32 already supports multiple tile servers () where OSM
      > is only the default. However, many of the the users have found the OSM
      > maps to be their preference anyway. You all have done an excellent job
      > at making usable maps!
      >
      > So, is there a way to get approval for continued use of the
      > OpenStreetMap Tile servers, given that the application in question
      > (APRSISCE/32) is destined to become a contributor to the core project as
      > well as a user of said tiles?
      Well try to se my hint just as a informal note that our Servers might get under heavy pressure again. To surround this problem in the nearby future (say weeks...months) I try to contact authors beside the top10 users, that might work on improvements. As Google changed it's pricing model, we expect a lot of more OSM users, so our services might get unstable. Guess using a third party host would be pretty clever ;)

      Matthias

    • metalhead@exemail.com.au
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 1, 2011
        hi Keehan - VE6XVK (ex VK4)
        Thanks for the help, i have it all going right now, well the way i want it
        till i change it again.. hi hi..
        Re the Echolink system, YES i do run a echolink node under VK2BLO-L node
        number 270506, and Yes Darrell VK2JDE from Bathurst, has been working it
        hard. I have had it going for some time now, around 3 years on this call
        and some 5 years on the old call. i work it through the local repeater
        VK2RAO (FRED), as it's call. I love playing with it, running a weather
        station on it as well, same with APRSis, look up VK2BLO-1 on APRSis, QTH
        Orange, New south wales, Australia.
        I try and spend the best part of the day after work, working on the PC's
        it keeps me out of trouble most of the time..
        Thank to Lynn to i have the APRSis stuff filling up the day as well, just
        love it. Luckily this side i have a friend here VK2ASY Kim, he has put a
        great deal of time into this stuff as well APRSis that is, so most of the
        time i am calling him and finding all the new stuff going on with it now.
        This si going on to much, so i will leave it at that now.
        Chat later.. local time here is 15:40 Wednesday 2/11/11.

        Cheers Pete VK2BLO