Re: APRSISCE Position List

  • wmiler1
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...>
      wrote:

      > On 10/27/2011 5:31 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
      > > Sort by frequency to see everyone monitoring which repeaters or is
      even
      > > beaconing a freq
      >
      > Got me there. I guess I need to add Screen / Labels / Frequency which
      > will display it right beside any station (that's near you without even
      > sorting anything) that is actually transmitting the information. Oh,
      > and I see a View / Frequency filter coming as well, both to see the
      > count of how many stations are using the feature as well as to see
      where
      > they're geographically dispersed (a double-sort requirement in a
      table).

      Would be a nice feature to have, although few hams (hint, hint) bother
      to transmit their current frequency, I always do when I'm in my truck.

      > > Sort by path to see who all is being heard by a given digi
      >
      > Again, coming soon to an APRS client near you. Select the station of
      > interest and see real-time communications lines for all packets
      > involving that station. Sort by Path isn't going to help you here
      > because a given digi might be ANYWHERE along the path. Sort by path
      is
      > only going to help you with the FIRST element of the path, so I really
      > don't see how a table column containing the path is going to do this
      for
      > you anyway.

      And again would be a useful feature to have, to ascertain the
      performance for those of us running fill-in digis, Although for now,
      aprs.fi fills that hole.

      CALL|TOCALL|DIR|DIST|PATH|TYPE|LAT|LON|SYMBOL|CSE|SPEED|PHG|COMMENTS/DAT\
      A|FR
      > > EQUENCY|ALTITUDE|EMAIL|STATUS|OWNER|AGE
      >
      > > Also while mobile (most of my APRS activity) in many cases, I could
      care
      > > less where someone is. In most cases, I am more interested in the
      other 19
      > > common APRS parameters contained in a station packet and only when I
      see who
      > > or what I am looking for do I then go looking for them on a map.

      Eh, I use APRS all the time, and to be honest on a daily basis I could
      care less about half of those 19 :)

      The ones I do care about, I can readily see from Lynn's program
      directly, or within just a few clicks. On my D710 in the truck,
      yes, I can see see most of that info (dependent upon the data format (ie
      MicE, etc), but in the truck I only care about relative location,
      direction of travel and what frequency they're on.

      Anyway, my 2 cents :)

      - Wyatt -

      KJ4CTD

      PS Great talking to you yesterday Lynn (via local RF voice even :o hehe)
    • Randy Love
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2011

        wrote:

        > On 10/27/2011 5:31 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
        > > Sort by frequency to see everyone monitoring which repeaters or is
        even
        > > beaconing a freq
        >
        > Got me there. I guess I need to add Screen / Labels / Frequency whichAnd again would be a useful feature to have, to ascertain the
        performance for those of us running fill-in digis, Although for now,
        aprs.fi fills that hole.

        CALL|TOCALL|DIR|DIST|PATH|TYPE|LAT|LON|SYMBOL|CSE|SPEED|PHG|COMMENTS/DAT\

        A|FR
        > > EQUENCY|ALTITUDE|EMAIL|STATUS|OWNER|AGE
        >
        > > Also while mobile (most of my APRS activity) in many cases, I could
        care
         <big time snip... >
        > > less where someone is. In most cases, I am more interested in the
        other 19
        > > common APRS parameters contained in a station packet and only when I
        see who
        > > or what I am looking for do I then go looking for them on a map.

        Eh, I use APRS all the time, and to be honest on a daily basis I could
        care less about half of those 19 :)

        The ones I do care about, I can readily see from Lynn's program
        directly, or within just a few clicks. On my D710 in the truck,
        yes, I can see see most of that info (dependent upon the data format (ie
        MicE, etc), but in the truck I only care about relative location,
        direction of travel and what frequency they're on.

        Anyway, my 2 cents :)

        - Wyatt -

        KJ4CTD

        These really won't mean much to the average "I just wanna look at a map" user, but they have a huge benefit to net control and resource management users.

        Another 2 cents worth.

        Randy
        WF5X

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2011
          On 11/2/2011 6:19 PM, Randy Love wrote:

          CALL|TOCALL|DIR|DIST|PATH|TYPE|LAT|LON|SYMBOL|CSE|SPEED|PHG|COMMENTS/DATA|

          FREQUENCY|ALTITUDE|EMAIL|STATUS|OWNER|AGE

          These really won't mean much to the average "I just wanna look at a map" user, but they have a huge benefit to net control and resource management users.

          Ok, specifically which of the 13 TEXT-based things are such a "huge" benefit?  I'm still not buying into it, but I CAN be swayed (maybe).

          Just don't tell me that a text-based Lat/Lon/Symbol is better than the map at showing the current location of someone.  And why would Net Control care about the ToCall all the time (enough times to have it in the table?)?  PHG for Net Control?  Doubtful here.  Altitude, don't ask me where e-mail comes from in an APRS packet?  Yeah, I'm not seeing 13 useful things to be always on-screen in a table being useful to anyone for long.

          Another 2 cents worth.

          Randy
          WF5X

        • Randy Love
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 3, 2011
            On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

            I don't think we ever said that the table should be displayed *all* the time.
            The following items would be of immediate benefit and time saving to be displayed in a table which is sortable by any or multiple of these columns.

            1) Symbol and/or Symbol Description
            2) Callsign or Nickname ( I would say Tactical Call, but that's a buzz word Lynn dislikes)
            3) Status ( Mic-E or > based )
            4) Elapsed time since last heard
            5) Date / Time stamp last heard
            6) Distance from map center ( as crow flies )
            7) Bearing and Distance from ME

            1, 2, 3, and 4 are important when trying to quickly determine what resources are available, *if* they are available, and how fresh they report is. Say for example I have a wildfire, and I need to know how many ambulances and firetrucks are available, how many are assigned, and how many are en route. Having this in tabular form saves much time by grouping all the like symbols together and readily displaying their status ( comment is seldom changed, but status should be fluid to the current activity of the station ).

            Distance from center of the map tells me which units are closest to the location I need them, assuming I put the map center on the scene, command post, whatever. Distance and bearing from ME let me know what type of path or routing I need in order to get a message to them quickest. If they are 5 miles out, and I have an antenna 40' up, I can safely think that I'll be able to get them directly, whereas a unit 20 miles north of me on the other side of a hill will involve me routing through a digi that can see around the hill.

            Short and sweet response here. Gotta go make money for ham equipment. :)

            73,
            Randy
            WF5X

          • ka0azs
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 3, 2011
              Late to the party as usual, but wanted to add my .02 for the ability to display data in a tabular format as an option.

              I especially liked Randy's write up and explanation. As a Net Control the ability to quickly look at a list and determine stations that haven't beaconed for awhile (maybe initiating a voice call to check their status) would be valuable. I know I can do that by querying, but like others here, I can often assimilate the table faster than studying the map.

              Of course I've been using a D700 for 10 years or so and have gotten to the point where I usually don't bother with a laptop with mapping if I'm mobile in support of a public service event. I can get pretty much any of the info I need quickly from the text displays (at a stop sign/light, pulled over or moving at 3 MPH behind Tail End Charlie for the safety concerned out there). In fact I find it MUCH less distracting while mobile than a map display.

              I even ran APRS +SA without maps for some time at our local EOC until I installed APRSIS32. The tabular display of local weather station information was very useful in monitoring conditions in the county.

              Ooops, another request: If you do an optional tabular display of data some day, one for weather would be most useful at the EOC and when supporting SKYWARN ops. My wish list would be as follows:

              1. Callsign
              2. Temp
              3. Wind speed
              4. Wind Direction
              5. Barometric Pressure
              6. Precipitation
              7. Time stamp of last report
              8. Bearing/Distance from ME (Could live without this as I know where the WX stations are in the county, but could help travelers)

              And, again, thank you Lynn for all that you do. I really do enjoy the free ice cream and realize how luck I am to have it!

              73,

              Randy KAØAZS