Re: [aprsisce] RFONLY OBJECTS

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
      I think objects take about a year to time out and clear off the
      aprs.fi website.

      On 10/31/11, Charles Blackburn <ai4ri@...> wrote:
      > I have set some objects to be RFONLY in the path as they're local things and
      > imho that's the way objects should be. They should stay on RF.
      >
      > One thing I noticed was that although I wasn't putting them onto the IS,
      > other stations were. So looking through the spec I saw that I can put
      > "RFONLY" in the path and that should fix it. Again, I'm getting back up to
      > speed on the path stuff :P
      >
      > Anyways... lynn.. the one thing I did notice was that if I put it in
      > lowercase, then they ignored it and passed it to the IS,
      >
      > 2011-11-01 04:33:03 UTC:
      > WX4CB-4>APWW08,WC4PEM-15,WIDE1*,rfonly,qAR,KD4TWJ:;VCEOC
      > *010433z2908.43N/08108.70Wo147.240+PL123.0
      >
      > But put it in uppercase (try searching for n4wkq-4) they didn't. I figure
      > it's just a minor thing to force paths to be upper case. That would
      > eliminate stupid people like me from doing lowercase paths that get ignored
      > because it's not "up to snuff".
      >
      > I've set all my objects to RFONLY now, so hopefully they should drop off
      > aprs.fi..... anyone know the timeout for stuff to disappear on there ? if it
      > does at all?
      > charlie

    • Charles Blackburn
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
        i didnt think that was the done thing, but sure I can just take out rfonly.
        not a big deal to me and i had that at first.

        charlie
      • Bob Bruninga
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
          Yes, Seeing them on RF is the goal. Since that is where the mobles are
          driving around and need to see what is around them. But it is nice to also
          see them on the APRS-IS.

          The reason you may have been confused is that the converse is less
          desireable. That is, it is so easy to write PC applications to put all
          kinds of neat local objects on the APRS-IS, but then these never get back to
          RF where the rubber mneets the road so to speak.

          Examples of these are Echolink, IRLP and Winlink nodes which are easy to
          generate from one site globally on the APRS-IS, but they do not get back to
          RF anywhere unless each local IGATES SYSOP manually configures his IGate for
          each set of objects to take them from the APRS-IS back to RF. In most
          cases, this never happens. Hence... the value of doing like you are doing,
          and generating them locally on RF first.

          But do not error with too many such local objects. They take away from
          channel capacity (unless they are originated FROM THE DIGI HARSWARE itself
          and only DIRECT). Then and only then, do they not collide with any users).

          Thanks for helping your area to be an INFO Service to mobiles instead of an
          APRS deadzone of a bunch of deaf and blind trackers.

          Bob, Wb4APR

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
            oh i agree and in fact we have 3-4 wl2k nodes here, i purposly put out those
            to RF for that reason

            all my objcts that I generate are sent out as wide1-1 so they stay in the
            local area and dont contribute to the "spam" that comes out of orlando HIHI

            as far as too many objects again, I agree and that is a problem im going to
            be facing shortly when we merge the two digi's we have here (north and south
            daytona) into one conglomerated site which is going to be about 200 feet on
            top of a condo next to our packet switch. such a high site is going to get
            hammered by the above packets from 2 counties over.

            re Info service, I actually have written a program for linux that actually
            listens for an aprs message packet on an ssid that will basically be an
            actual information server, where visitors can get local information such as
            meeting times for local clubs and nets etc. that's a work in progress and is
            similar to the QRU server (i think it is) that lynns working on

            charlie