RFONLY OBJECTS

  • Charles Blackburn
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2011
      I have set some objects to be RFONLY in the path as they're local things and
      imho that's the way objects should be. They should stay on RF.

      One thing I noticed was that although I wasn't putting them onto the IS,
      other stations were. So looking through the spec I saw that I can put
      "RFONLY" in the path and that should fix it. Again, I'm getting back up to
      speed on the path stuff :P

      Anyways... lynn.. the one thing I did notice was that if I put it in
      lowercase, then they ignored it and passed it to the IS,

      2011-11-01 04:33:03 UTC:
      WX4CB-4>APWW08,WC4PEM-15,WIDE1*,rfonly,qAR,KD4TWJ:;VCEOC
      *010433z2908.43N/08108.70Wo147.240+PL123.0

      But put it in uppercase (try searching for n4wkq-4) they didn't. I figure
      it's just a minor thing to force paths to be upper case. That would
      eliminate stupid people like me from doing lowercase paths that get ignored
      because it's not "up to snuff".

      I've set all my objects to RFONLY now, so hopefully they should drop off
      aprs.fi..... anyone know the timeout for stuff to disappear on there ? if it
      does at all?
      charlie
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
        Glad to see some local RF objects... But I do not understand why you want
        to block them from showing on the APRSIS too? Never hurts to let others out
        of area visit in your virtual world... Just curious.

        Bob, WB4aPR

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
          I think objects take about a year to time out and clear off the
          aprs.fi website.

          On 10/31/11, Charles Blackburn <ai4ri@...> wrote:
          > I have set some objects to be RFONLY in the path as they're local things and
          > imho that's the way objects should be. They should stay on RF.
          >
          > One thing I noticed was that although I wasn't putting them onto the IS,
          > other stations were. So looking through the spec I saw that I can put
          > "RFONLY" in the path and that should fix it. Again, I'm getting back up to
          > speed on the path stuff :P
          >
          > Anyways... lynn.. the one thing I did notice was that if I put it in
          > lowercase, then they ignored it and passed it to the IS,
          >
          > 2011-11-01 04:33:03 UTC:
          > WX4CB-4>APWW08,WC4PEM-15,WIDE1*,rfonly,qAR,KD4TWJ:;VCEOC
          > *010433z2908.43N/08108.70Wo147.240+PL123.0
          >
          > But put it in uppercase (try searching for n4wkq-4) they didn't. I figure
          > it's just a minor thing to force paths to be upper case. That would
          > eliminate stupid people like me from doing lowercase paths that get ignored
          > because it's not "up to snuff".
          >
          > I've set all my objects to RFONLY now, so hopefully they should drop off
          > aprs.fi..... anyone know the timeout for stuff to disappear on there ? if it
          > does at all?
          > charlie

        • Charles Blackburn
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
            i didnt think that was the done thing, but sure I can just take out rfonly.
            not a big deal to me and i had that at first.

            charlie
          • Bob Bruninga
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
              Yes, Seeing them on RF is the goal. Since that is where the mobles are
              driving around and need to see what is around them. But it is nice to also
              see them on the APRS-IS.

              The reason you may have been confused is that the converse is less
              desireable. That is, it is so easy to write PC applications to put all
              kinds of neat local objects on the APRS-IS, but then these never get back to
              RF where the rubber mneets the road so to speak.

              Examples of these are Echolink, IRLP and Winlink nodes which are easy to
              generate from one site globally on the APRS-IS, but they do not get back to
              RF anywhere unless each local IGATES SYSOP manually configures his IGate for
              each set of objects to take them from the APRS-IS back to RF. In most
              cases, this never happens. Hence... the value of doing like you are doing,
              and generating them locally on RF first.

              But do not error with too many such local objects. They take away from
              channel capacity (unless they are originated FROM THE DIGI HARSWARE itself
              and only DIRECT). Then and only then, do they not collide with any users).

              Thanks for helping your area to be an INFO Service to mobiles instead of an
              APRS deadzone of a bunch of deaf and blind trackers.

              Bob, Wb4APR

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
                oh i agree and in fact we have 3-4 wl2k nodes here, i purposly put out those
                to RF for that reason

                all my objcts that I generate are sent out as wide1-1 so they stay in the
                local area and dont contribute to the "spam" that comes out of orlando HIHI

                as far as too many objects again, I agree and that is a problem im going to
                be facing shortly when we merge the two digi's we have here (north and south
                daytona) into one conglomerated site which is going to be about 200 feet on
                top of a condo next to our packet switch. such a high site is going to get
                hammered by the above packets from 2 counties over.

                re Info service, I actually have written a program for linux that actually
                listens for an aprs message packet on an ssid that will basically be an
                actual information server, where visitors can get local information such as
                meeting times for local clubs and nets etc. that's a work in progress and is
                similar to the QRU server (i think it is) that lynns working on

                charlie