Re: [aprsisce] Time sync

  • Gary Sanders
    Message 1 of 23 , May 6, 2010
      (While I understand that cross-posting is NOT a good thing, I'm doing
      it, because it was obvious that my previous post was in the wrong place,
      so here goes ....)

      I want to clarify my "Automatic" vote on the poll.

      All my computers use the Windows port of NTPd, found here:

      http://www.meinberg-usa.com/ntp-software.php

      It works great, and is EXTREMELY accurate and reliable. Unfortunately,
      the default setup uses a (selectable) pool of NTP servers on the 'net,
      necessitating internet connectivity for it to work. (It IS possible to
      use a GPS receiver with PPS output to directly drive NTP, but the setup
      is non-trivial, and I haven't tried it yet.)

      When we travel we frequently don't have internet access; during this
      time (which could last for weeks at a time) NTP is useless.

      The ideal solution for me would be Automatic, but with the ability to
      disable it completely for those times I have 'net connectivity, or to
      manually sync on demand. So the correct answer for me would be "All of
      the Above", but then again, I don't have to code it!

      Gary
      WB0BZR
    • g4ilo
      Message 2 of 23 , May 6, 2010
        I agree on Win32 there are other ways to do this (I use NTP for Windows.) But on Windows Mobile there doesn't appear to be a facility built in. Other phones I have had did seem to get time from the network - I don't ever recall having to set them. But my HTC Touch Pro doesn't appear to do this, hence my suggestion.

        Julian, G4ILO

        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, David Shrum <dave.n8pu@...> wrote:

        > For the win/32 poll I voted no because if I want to sync the time on the computer I can use one of the optional time servers or just listen to either W W V or CHU on shortwave to sync the time on my computer.
        >
        > Dave N8PU
      • g4ilo
        Message 3 of 23 , May 6, 2010
          Having read some of the other posts I suppose it is possible that my phone is setting the time from the network, but the network is wrong. I'm not sure how to test this.

          I do still think having the *option* to set the time using GPS would be a good thing. If there was a bit of freeware that would do it and coexist with APRSISCE then Lynn need not bother to add it, but I couldn't find anything.

          Julian, G4ILO
          Message 4 of 23 , May 6, 2010
            If you know someone else using the same network and their time is off too then maybe the network has the wrong time. If they have more of a basic phone then it might be more obvious.

            On my network, each phone we had, had the wrong time so it was obvious.

            Message 5 of 23 , May 6, 2010
              After reading some comments from some of the other users, I can see a valid
              use for setting the time manually, so I did a flip from NO to MANUAL, but
              I'm still against automatic without the user option to go manual.

              Dave N8PU

              Message 6 of 23 , May 6, 2010
                Hi Julian ,
                                  hey off the subject sorry but looked up several aprs thingys  UK and Could not determine current format re digi's for aprs in the uk does one have a single frequency or different in different areas ? Tried to mail a couple of Club site

                Ciao

                ZL2SCI
                G1XZL
                Joseph

                --- On Fri, 7/5/10, g4ilo <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:vera

                Message 7 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                  In the UK (and the rest of Europe) the frequency 144.800 is used.

                  --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, joseph cooksley <skiprokiwi@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Julian ,
                  >                   hey off the subject sorry but looked up several aprs thingys  UK and Could not determine current format re digi's for aprs in the uk does one have a single frequency or different in different areas ? Tried to mail a couple of Club site
                  >
                  > Ciao
                  >
                  > ZL2SCI
                  > G1XZL
                  > Joseph
                  >
                  > --- On Fri, 7/5/10, g4ilo <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:vera
                  >

                  > From: g4ilo <julian.g4ilo@...>
                  > Subject: [aprsisce] Re: Time sync
                  > To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                  >

                  > Having read some of the other posts I suppose it is possible that my phone is setting the time from the network, but the network is wrong. I'm not sure how to test this.
                  >
                  > I do still think having the *option* to set the time using GPS would be a good thing. If there was a bit of freeware that would do it and coexist with APRSISCE then Lynn need not bother to add it, but I couldn't find anything.
                  >
                  > Julian, G4ILO

                • joseph cooksley
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                    Thank you for the information Julian cheers!Will be leaving a few beep beeps on the map soon in your hemisphere lol look forward to it in fact .

                    Ciao

                    Josepg