Re: [aprsisce] aprs.fi

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29 6:01 AM
      On 10/29/2011 8:10 AM, Charles Blackburn wrote:
      > I'm getting packets over RF that doesn't appear up on aprs.fi.

      There's been a whole chain of discussion on the aprs.fi google group
      about Hessu's crediting algorithm. I'll refer you over there for
      details. But suffice it to say, he's VERY conservative on what gets
      credit for hearing what, and it's solely based on the post-APRS-IS dupe
      filtering, so longer RF hops don't stand a chance at showing up if there
      shorter links that deliver the goods.

      > Specifically for example, the 2 I've just noticed w4mco-10 and kc4vlj-2. My
      > question, is that even though they're gating themselves to the IS, surely
      > they should appear here? Or is it that because they're gated by themselves,
      > then they're considered a dupe (which is my thinking) so they won't show up
      > in the list because my igate didn’t send it to the IS?

      APRSISCE/32 sends EVERYTHING to the upstream APRS-IS server. It's at
      that entry point that the dupe-filtering happens. This is why you can
      see different paths for a single packet depending on which APRS-IS
      server you're connected to. Two APRS-IS server may hear the packet near
      simultaneously and before they've heard the other so they both forward
      their version further into the network. Eventually, a server back in the
      center somewhere hears one before the other and that's the one that
      continues the propagation through APRS-IS.

      Oh, and any station that injects directly into -IS at the same time as
      transmitting via RF will almost never show the RF activity as the direct
      -IS nearly always gets there first.

      > Ps, I like the "view rf only stations" on the new version :P

      Then you're REALLY going to like the new path viewing feature just
      released into development. Brace yourself for a map full of lines
      similar to my aging coverage maps at:

      But Florida dwellers would most be interested in:

      But with judicious and timed screen captures, any APRSISCE/32 user will
      soon be able to produce the same sort of maps, well maybe not the (3)
      view yet...

      PS. The CoralCDN seems to be having trouble this morning, so if those
      links don't work, just chop out the ".nyud.net" and try it direct/