Path Lines! (Dev: 2011/10/29 08:27)

    Message 1 of 40 , Oct 29, 2011
      Fix formatting error in Bluetooth trace log when name fails to resolve
      because the BT adapter didn't show up after a reboot.

      First cut: Screen / Paths (defaulted on) and View / Paths (show only
      stations involved with known paths). Yes, I'm now accumulating and
      drawing path lines. Give it a look-see and tell me what you think.
      Remember, it's a first cut.
      A thin red line is a direct link, a wider green line is a digipeated
      link, red-over-green means both happened there
      ToDo: a) Fix parser to prevent invalid coordinates from blowing paths
      across the planet
      b) Time-out the line segements (user configurable) - Currently
      accumulated forever
      c) Classify links: Direct (no used hops), First Hop, Digi Hop,
      Final Hop (to IGate or ME(RF)) (Need visibility ideas)
      d) User configurable "reasonability" length
      e) Filter actual stations against configurable Path Aliases (not
      good to have a WIDE1 station moving around)
      f) Provide visibility into "stations heard", "stations hearing" and
      link traffic count/age

      PS. I'll be working Honey-Do's today, so don't be surprised to not get
      near-interactive feedback on e-mailed comments.
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 7, 2011
        > One should always think about the impact of their operations
        > not only as it pertains to the stations within simplex range,
        > but those affected within the footprint of all the digipeaters
        > they are lighting up.

        > If everyone thought that way, and tailored their operations
        > accordingly, we'd have a much more robust and reliable APRS network.

        Amen! Actually that is why we ask all software to periodically calculate
        the "aloha range" based purely on what the station hears and to display that
        on the map to aid the user in visualizing what his full local area is.

        Then it is nice if the outgoing path is made no larger than that necessary
        to reach all digipeaters in that Aloha Range. See:
        http://aprs.org/aloha/ALOHAcir.txt