Re: APRSIS32 - Cut and paste query, Pop Up or packet windows

  • Pat KC6VVT Assistant SEC/IL
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2011
      Sure, Lynn, the supplementary position Cut and paste APRS data would into my APRS QSO log, later my Palm Desktop application, and may also include the grid square, line of bearing and range data to the mobile from my APRS station. Unfortunately, the colored text doesn't help that on the message copy and paste into notebook, ideally each line should have who said what, like
      KC6VVT: Hi Lynn
      KA4ERJ-AP: Hi Pat
      but that is also available for awhile on aprs.fi!

      This added cut and paste information would be a great addition to the ordinary QSO data when I work passerby operators or distant stations direct, via digi, or via two meter skip, so the RF path used is also a great supplement. Trackers are for pets and high value assets, I would rather communicate via APRS with other users. It might be something that would be picked out and placed at the start of a message popup, I dunno. e.g.
      13:36:48 2011-10-26 New Chat Between KC6VVT (at EN51f) and W9ZHB (fm EN52cc) via W9MKS-15, W9ZHB-15
      If that seems too verbose, sending a letter K or BYE to the other party might be set to generate the end QSO data with its timestamp, perhaps, if it was worth the effort. I dunno, but fun to anticipate.

      I had been cribbing supplementary data by logging in to aprs.fi, when the Internet is up, but the grey window APRSIS32 station pop-up has great potential, but it is VERY hard to copy to text from screen by typing into Notepad, which has that nifty time-stamp for logging.

      Sometimes we forget that APRS is a communication mode/tool, it ain't just Callsign and QTH, although that is part of the QSO. I started with the old Novice CW QSO format, and it is part of most QSOs here, even via packet, and bears repeating here:
      W9ZHB DE KC6VVT: HI ADAM, MY NAME IS PAT; MY QTH IS TONICA, IL (EN51lf); MY RIG IS A KNWD TS-2000; MY ANT IS A GPS15 TRIBAND VERTICAL UP 30FT; WX HERE IS 51 DEGREES F AND OVERCAST. WHAT ARE YOUR WORKING CONDITIONS? KN.

      If you can't communicate two-way, it ain't APRS you are using! Trackers have their place, it is just a SMALL step into one APRS subset, like weather data, so no flamers, please.

      vy 73 de Pat KC6VVT