I-gate & Sat. question

  • Jerry Wyatt
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 24, 2011
      Lynn,

      Yesterday I was waiting for an ARISSAT-1 high pass using HRD and decided to try the Sat. query in APRS-IS.
      I clicked on send message, typed in ARISSAT1. A proper reply came back which matched what I saw on HRD.

      My question is: I typed a message to AO51, and noticed it went out on the RF path. Since I'm running a bi I-gate, why didn't it just go to the APRS-IS via my I-gate(N7QVU-11), where I typed it? I didn't look at the logs, but 'maybe' it went out IS & RF!

      Jerry - N7QVU

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 24, 2011
        When you send a message to an unknown station, APRSISCE/32 doesn't know if it's an RF or -IS resident station, so it will transmit on all available ports.  If you send a message to a station that was heard on APRS-IS, then it will only transmit the first set of retries via APRS-IS.  The second set of retries will go out all available ports if the message is ever retriggered.

        See also http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/message-retries especially the last paragraph.

        PS.  I'm pleased that ARISSAT1 actually worked!  It must be in one of the TLE sets I'm loading into the SATSRV.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 24, 2011

          ARISSAT1 is a working amateur satellite Lynn so in the list I sent. 145.950MHz

          Torbay Freecycle Moderator

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 24, 2011
            On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

            {snip}

            PS.  I'm pleased that ARISSAT1 actually worked!  It must be in one of the TLE sets I'm loading into the SATSRV.

            I hope so.  RADIOSCAF-B is the usual name for the bird, and it's too long as a satellite name (which is another plus for the single address proposal).  Which brings up the question...  How DOES one get pass information for SUMBANDILASAT and other such 10-gallon satellite names?

            Greg  KO6TH

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 25, 2011
              SAT-nnnnn where nnnnn is the satellite name.  For instance, ARSISSAT1 is actually SAT-37772, AO-27 is SAT-22825 AO-51 is SAT-28375, and the ISS is, well, ISS.  It's technically SAT-25544, but I hacked the code to only call it ISS.

              That said, I think I'll drop the dash (it's currently required in the SAT-nnnnn usage).

              SUMBANDILASAT didn't make my "active" satellite cut, so it won't be queriable.  But MEGHA-TROPIQUES is SAT-37838 and does respond to that query call.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 25, 2011

                Are you sure SUMBANDILASAT is not in there cat no. 35870 also known as Amsat oscar SO-67

                We also have a number of new ones going up in a few days (fingers crossed) 28th oct 09:48 GMT NASA TV covering. The satellites will launch with NASA’s NPP

                Aubiesat-1, DICE, RAX-2, M-Cubed, Explorer-1 are the sats