Path for ISS

  • Stan Leeds
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2010
      Lynn or the group,

      Changing <BeaconPath>WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1</BeaconPath> in the XML file to
      <BeaconPath>ARISS</BeaconPath> and proper frequency of 145.825 should
      setup me up to hear the ISS when it passes by, correct?

      What IGate functions can I verify to be able to IGate?

      I don't think the ISS APRS is running right now, but I want to be ready.

      Stan/KC7EHJ
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2010
        BeaconPath has nothing to do with being able to receive anything. If
        your radio is tuned and the TNC can decode, you'll hear and gate to the
        -IS. If you're trying to get a beacon to go out through the ISS, then
        you are correct in the proposed BeaconPath setting, at least, according
        to what I've just recently read in other groups.

        If you turn on Enable / View Logs / IGate (assuming you've heard
        something) and keep that window open, you should see any packets that
        you gate from any RF source.

        A future version will have port-specific path settings and the ability
        to log all activity to disk, but that's not even in the development
        version yet.

        And you are correct, it appears that the ISS APRS went offline over two
        days ago.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        Stan Leeds wrote:
        > Lynn or the group,
        >
        > Changing <BeaconPath>WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1</BeaconPath> in the XML file to
        > <BeaconPath>ARISS</BeaconPath> and proper frequency of 145.825 should
        > setup me up to hear the ISS when it passes by, correct?
        >
        > What IGate functions can I verify to be able to IGate?
        >
        > I don't think the ISS APRS is running right now, but I want to be ready.
        >
        > Stan/KC7EHJ

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2010

          Hi All

          I thought I would post this link as I thought it might be handy for those with Sirf based GPS.

          The GPS unit I use is designed really to warn me of speed camera locations so it's original setup was not very good when used statically.

          With the following software I was able to enable static nav and also found that the device was EGNOS (WAAS) capable, but that was turned off.

          So I turned that on and now have DGPS.

          It will auto detect your chipset but that can take a little time.

          http://www.falcom.de/support/software-tools/sirf/           sirfdemo is the file to download.

          Regards Steve