Re: Buddies View

  • g4mhj@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2010
      > > Keeping the default range of 500 and using the same filter setting I received many stations listed but only the three again. Except for the Echo-Link EL-480448 station.
      > > Here is a packet trace for it:
      > > WinMain:2010-05-03T13:25:23 IS SP3CMX-10>APWSW2,TCPIP*,qAC,T2POLAND:;EL-480448*111111z5131.43N/00013.47Wn EchoLink M0GPQ-L 144.975MHz simplex PL 88.5Hz
      > >

      > I'm not clear on this one. With the 500 range, you still only received
      > your three buddies (b/G3OJZ* b/K0ELE* b/G3ZCV*) and the EL-480448? Or
      > were there others scrolling by in the station list?

      Sorry if I didnt make myself clear.

      With range 500 and my 3 station filter, I was seeing lots of stations on the left station list but only the 4 stations on the map.

      Bob..
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2010
        Puzzle explained. And it's attributable to a lazy programmer who is
        planning to revamp Buddy support in some future revision. Currently, I
        identify a Buddy station by:

        1) For any new station, locate the dash (-) if any. Consider the space
        before the dash as the "base" callsign.
        2) Search the filter in its entirety for any instance of that base
        callsign. It doesn't even look for b/ whatever.

        This means that the EL-480448 looks like a base callsign of "EL".
        Your filter includes b/K0ELE* which includes the EL and voila, the
        EchoLink station appears as a Buddy.

        I'll get this fixed, probably sooner than I revamp the Buddy support.
        I'll probably look for b/<BaseCall> up to the length of the base
        callsign and then check if the next character is a *. I may also have
        to check for the entire call-SSID as a buddy or friend, just in case.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Explainer of Mysteries (and Lazy Programmer)

        PS. For those that say "why not just run it through a regex", remember,
        APRSISCE/32 is not your average C#.NET application. I code to Win32
        without MFC, Standard Class Libraries, .NET, or any other excess
        baggage. Why you might ask? Because that's how I like to code and I'm
        doing this for the fun of it!

        Message 3 of 14 , May 4, 2010
          Bob (G4MHJ) was having an issue with an EchoLink node (EL-480448)
          showing up on the map as a "View / Buddy" even though his buddies were
          only b/G3OJZ* b/K0ELE* b/G3ZCV*. The problem was due to my lazy
          implementation of buddy detection (EL is inside K0ELE*). I believe I
          have this fixed in the development version, so if you (Bob) notice this
          message, give it another try after downloading 2010/05/04 18:29. My new
          implementation detects buddies (b/...) and friends (f/...) in your
          filter. As a side effect, there's now a Filter log that you can see in
          Enables / View Logs / Filter if you have buddies or if the program
          detects an issue with your filter string. Note that the development
          version might complain about the My Range (m/) filter and any negated
          (-filter) that you might have. This is fixed, but dinner was ready and
          I didn't bother with re-releasing the development version.

          Also, for those of you waiting patiently (anxiously?) for Find Station,
          it's also included in the latest development build. Look for Screen /
          Tracking / Find or just hit Ctrl-F. A popup will appear populated with
          all known stations. Select one and hit Find, or just type some
          characters. If a single hit results, that station will be centered and
          tracked. If multiple hits result, the drop-down is changed to show only
          those stations. If no hits are found, and the entered callsign is NOT a
          wildcard (ends in *), then you are asked if you want to wait for the
          station. If you say yes, it will be as if you were tracking that
          station in your previous instance and APRSISCE/32 will center on it as
          soon as a beacon is received.

          The interesting thing is if there's a callsign that is beaconing with
          and without an -SSID. Consider my own stations:

          KJ4ERJ, KJ4ERJ-1, KJ4ERJ-2, KJ4ERJ-12, KJ4ERJ-AL, KJ4ERJ-AP

          If I enter just KJ4ERJ, it will exactly match one and I'll go straight
          to that station. What if I really wanted to see all of the stations
          with that base callsign? I should enter the wildcard KJ4ERJ*. That
          will populate the list with all KJ4ERJ stations with and without -SSIDs
          unless of course, there's only one. If you want to see ony the stations
          WITH an -SSID, enter KJ4ERJ-* (note the extra dash). At last, I think
          it sould work that way!

        • g4mhj@btinternet.com
          Message 4 of 14 , May 5, 2010
            Well spotted regarding the K0ELE EL-480448 link. So far after an hours monitoring no EL-* stations are appearing on the map with the same filter as before. EL-347953 appeared in the station list with all the other callsigns/objects. Also, and this was unreported to you previously by me, I am now not seeing on the map frequency calls/objects such as 438.8375- . The "-" must have previously been allowed through presumably?

            The Find feature, especially Ctrl-F is a great enhancement and appears to work well.

            Great work Lynn

            Bob G4MHJ

            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 2010

              Also, for those of you waiting patiently (anxiously?) for Find Station,
              it's also included in the latest development build. Look for Screen /
              Tracking / Find or just hit Ctrl-F. A popup will appear populated with
              all known stations. Select one and hit Find, or just type some
              characters. If a single hit results, that station will be centered and
              tracked. If multiple hits result, the drop-down is changed to show only
              those stations. If no hits are found, and the entered callsign is NOT a
              wildcard (ends in *), then you are asked if you want to wait for the
              station. If you say yes, it will be as if you were tracking that
              station in your previous instance and APRSISCE/32 will center on it as
              soon as a beacon is received.

              Hi Lynn,

              Will you be adding a last instance on the servers option?

              Thanks!
              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 2010
                Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                > Will you be adding a last instance on the servers option?
                >
                > Thanks!
                > Fred, N7FMH

                If I understand your question to be if I'll be doing some sort of query
                to some server somewhere as to where that particular server last thought
                the station was, the answer is no. I'm coding a pure APRS-IS client and
                the baseline APRS-IS doesn't support queries. To paraphrase a famous
                person, the APRS-IS is "a series of pipes" through which the packets
                flow. I'm trying to avoid depending on any infrastructure like
                findu.com or aprs.fi that may or may not "always" be there.

                If your question was something else, can you interpret it for me?

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
                Message 7 of 14 , May 5, 2010

                  Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                  > Will you be adding a last instance on the servers option?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > Fred, N7FMH

                  If I understand your question to be if I'll be doing some sort of query
                  to some server somewhere as to where that particular server last thought
                  the station was, the answer is no. I'm coding a pure APRS-IS client and
                  the baseline APRS-IS doesn't support queries. To paraphrase a famous
                  person, the APRS-IS is "a series of pipes" through which the packets
                  flow. I'm trying to avoid depending on any infrastructure like
                  findu.com or aprs.fi that may or may not "always" be there.

                  If your question was something else, can you interpret it for me?

                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                  You understood my question. I thought the APRS-IS servers stored data for a period of time but I seem to remember that findu.com and aprs.fi store the data. Is that correct?

                  Thanks!

                  Fred

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 5, 2010
                    Some APRS-IS servers have a 30 minute buffer that they'll dump at you
                    with no filtering if you connect to a certain port. This port is output
                    only, so it can't be used for normal beaconing, messaging, telemetry or
                    anything else you'd want to send in to APRS-IS. That's the only
                    "database" of packets I'm aware of in the -IS proper.

                    You are correct that findu.com, aprs.fi, and maybe a few other sites
                    actually run a database and put a pretty web interface onto the
                    resulting data. It's these sites, and their integral APIs, that I'm
                    staying away from as long as I can. There are other APRS clients (note
                    the lack of -IS) that use these APIs to inject their packets and query
                    data for display, but those clients won't work on RF (for IGating in
                    either direction) nor as true players in the -IS arena, at least, not
                    that I know of. In some cases, receiving an ACK from a message to one
                    of these API-based clients doesn't even mean that the client received
                    the message, it only means the server got the message. (Don't quote me
                    on that last bit, it's my supposition not necessarily based on factual
                    knowledge of their internal operation).