Re: [aprsisce] Re: Buddies View

    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2010
      g4mhj@... wrote:
      > Using Range 0 (zero) and having a filter as b/G3ZCV* b/K0ELE* b/G3OJZ* the only stations listed and shown on the maps where those three. I was receiving all stations until I restarted the program though.

      APRS-IS doesn't clear un-respecified filters when a filter is changed.
      If you disable & re-enable APRS-IS, it will clear the residual filter on
      a filter change. Maybe I'll see about doing that when/if I detect a
      configuration filter change...

      > Keeping the default range of 500 and using the same filter setting I received many stations listed but only the three again. Except for the Echo-Link EL-480448 station.
      > Here is a packet trace for it:
      > WinMain:2010-05-03T13:25:23 IS SP3CMX-10>APWSW2,TCPIP*,qAC,T2POLAND:;EL-480448*111111z5131.43N/00013.47Wn EchoLink M0GPQ-L 144.975MHz simplex PL 88.5Hz

      I'm not clear on this one. With the 500 range, you still only received
      your three buddies (b/G3OJZ* b/K0ELE* b/G3ZCV*) and the EL-480448? Or
      were there others scrolling by in the station list?

      > On the trace screen is there a way of doing a Find? I always thought Ctrl+F worked but it didn't seem to on this XP Laptop. In the end I copied it into Notebook to find the EL station.

      Not yet. I've got Find on my ToDo list. I've wanted it numerous times,
      but always when I wasn't in a position to just implement it. It'll
      hopefully be coming soon. Ctrl-F sure seems like a reasonable keystroke
      to trigger it as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

      > I am not troubled by these EL stations but just wondered how they were slipping through to the map.
      >
      > I know that K0ELE and G3ZCV do not use Echo Link but I cannot say for G3OJZ which was just a random choice for experimentation purposes. During the test G3OJZ was -7 driving about.

      You've got me curious now as well, but without enough time until next
      Monday to satiate my curiosity. Bummer.

      > PS I have also updated the Dev version since my first message on topic.

      In the absolutely latest development build, you can double-click on the
      APRS OK pane and the popup will show the packets per hour (up to 8, most
      recent on the left) received from the various connections. It's a
      string of numbers that will sometimes appear below the most recent
      status from the port. This is the same string of numbers that appears
      in the station popup for individual stations, but those have IS+RF if
      you have both port types active (again, hourly count, up to 8, most
      recent on the left). This is only in APRSIS32, not APRSISCE.

    • g4mhj@btinternet.com
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2010
        > > Keeping the default range of 500 and using the same filter setting I received many stations listed but only the three again. Except for the Echo-Link EL-480448 station.
        > > Here is a packet trace for it:
        > > WinMain:2010-05-03T13:25:23 IS SP3CMX-10>APWSW2,TCPIP*,qAC,T2POLAND:;EL-480448*111111z5131.43N/00013.47Wn EchoLink M0GPQ-L 144.975MHz simplex PL 88.5Hz
        > >

        > I'm not clear on this one. With the 500 range, you still only received
        > your three buddies (b/G3OJZ* b/K0ELE* b/G3ZCV*) and the EL-480448? Or
        > were there others scrolling by in the station list?

        Sorry if I didnt make myself clear.

        With range 500 and my 3 station filter, I was seeing lots of stations on the left station list but only the 4 stations on the map.

        Bob..
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2010
          Puzzle explained. And it's attributable to a lazy programmer who is
          planning to revamp Buddy support in some future revision. Currently, I
          identify a Buddy station by:

          1) For any new station, locate the dash (-) if any. Consider the space
          before the dash as the "base" callsign.
          2) Search the filter in its entirety for any instance of that base
          callsign. It doesn't even look for b/ whatever.

          This means that the EL-480448 looks like a base callsign of "EL".
          Your filter includes b/K0ELE* which includes the EL and voila, the
          EchoLink station appears as a Buddy.

          I'll get this fixed, probably sooner than I revamp the Buddy support.
          I'll probably look for b/<BaseCall> up to the length of the base
          callsign and then check if the next character is a *. I may also have
          to check for the entire call-SSID as a buddy or friend, just in case.

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Explainer of Mysteries (and Lazy Programmer)

          PS. For those that say "why not just run it through a regex", remember,
          APRSISCE/32 is not your average C#.NET application. I code to Win32
          without MFC, Standard Class Libraries, .NET, or any other excess
          baggage. Why you might ask? Because that's how I like to code and I'm
          doing this for the fun of it!

          Message 4 of 14 , May 4, 2010
            Bob (G4MHJ) was having an issue with an EchoLink node (EL-480448)
            showing up on the map as a "View / Buddy" even though his buddies were
            only b/G3OJZ* b/K0ELE* b/G3ZCV*. The problem was due to my lazy
            implementation of buddy detection (EL is inside K0ELE*). I believe I
            have this fixed in the development version, so if you (Bob) notice this
            message, give it another try after downloading 2010/05/04 18:29. My new
            implementation detects buddies (b/...) and friends (f/...) in your
            filter. As a side effect, there's now a Filter log that you can see in
            Enables / View Logs / Filter if you have buddies or if the program
            detects an issue with your filter string. Note that the development
            version might complain about the My Range (m/) filter and any negated
            (-filter) that you might have. This is fixed, but dinner was ready and
            I didn't bother with re-releasing the development version.

            Also, for those of you waiting patiently (anxiously?) for Find Station,
            it's also included in the latest development build. Look for Screen /
            Tracking / Find or just hit Ctrl-F. A popup will appear populated with
            all known stations. Select one and hit Find, or just type some
            characters. If a single hit results, that station will be centered and
            tracked. If multiple hits result, the drop-down is changed to show only
            those stations. If no hits are found, and the entered callsign is NOT a
            wildcard (ends in *), then you are asked if you want to wait for the
            station. If you say yes, it will be as if you were tracking that
            station in your previous instance and APRSISCE/32 will center on it as
            soon as a beacon is received.

            The interesting thing is if there's a callsign that is beaconing with
            and without an -SSID. Consider my own stations:

            KJ4ERJ, KJ4ERJ-1, KJ4ERJ-2, KJ4ERJ-12, KJ4ERJ-AL, KJ4ERJ-AP

            If I enter just KJ4ERJ, it will exactly match one and I'll go straight
            to that station. What if I really wanted to see all of the stations
            with that base callsign? I should enter the wildcard KJ4ERJ*. That
            will populate the list with all KJ4ERJ stations with and without -SSIDs
            unless of course, there's only one. If you want to see ony the stations
            WITH an -SSID, enter KJ4ERJ-* (note the extra dash). At last, I think
            it sould work that way!

          • g4mhj@btinternet.com
            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 2010
              Well spotted regarding the K0ELE EL-480448 link. So far after an hours monitoring no EL-* stations are appearing on the map with the same filter as before. EL-347953 appeared in the station list with all the other callsigns/objects. Also, and this was unreported to you previously by me, I am now not seeing on the map frequency calls/objects such as 438.8375- . The "-" must have previously been allowed through presumably?

              The Find feature, especially Ctrl-F is a great enhancement and appears to work well.

              Great work Lynn

              Bob G4MHJ

              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 2010

                Also, for those of you waiting patiently (anxiously?) for Find Station,
                it's also included in the latest development build. Look for Screen /
                Tracking / Find or just hit Ctrl-F. A popup will appear populated with
                all known stations. Select one and hit Find, or just type some
                characters. If a single hit results, that station will be centered and
                tracked. If multiple hits result, the drop-down is changed to show only
                those stations. If no hits are found, and the entered callsign is NOT a
                wildcard (ends in *), then you are asked if you want to wait for the
                station. If you say yes, it will be as if you were tracking that
                station in your previous instance and APRSISCE/32 will center on it as
                soon as a beacon is received.

                Hi Lynn,

                Will you be adding a last instance on the servers option?

                Thanks!
                Message 7 of 14 , May 5, 2010
                  Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                  > Will you be adding a last instance on the servers option?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > Fred, N7FMH

                  If I understand your question to be if I'll be doing some sort of query
                  to some server somewhere as to where that particular server last thought
                  the station was, the answer is no. I'm coding a pure APRS-IS client and
                  the baseline APRS-IS doesn't support queries. To paraphrase a famous
                  person, the APRS-IS is "a series of pipes" through which the packets
                  flow. I'm trying to avoid depending on any infrastructure like
                  findu.com or aprs.fi that may or may not "always" be there.

                  If your question was something else, can you interpret it for me?

                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 5, 2010

                    Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                    > Will you be adding a last instance on the servers option?
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    > Fred, N7FMH

                    If I understand your question to be if I'll be doing some sort of query
                    to some server somewhere as to where that particular server last thought
                    the station was, the answer is no. I'm coding a pure APRS-IS client and
                    the baseline APRS-IS doesn't support queries. To paraphrase a famous
                    person, the APRS-IS is "a series of pipes" through which the packets
                    flow. I'm trying to avoid depending on any infrastructure like
                    findu.com or aprs.fi that may or may not "always" be there.

                    If your question was something else, can you interpret it for me?

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                    You understood my question. I thought the APRS-IS servers stored data for a period of time but I seem to remember that findu.com and aprs.fi store the data. Is that correct?

                    Thanks!

                    Fred

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 5, 2010
                      Some APRS-IS servers have a 30 minute buffer that they'll dump at you
                      with no filtering if you connect to a certain port. This port is output
                      only, so it can't be used for normal beaconing, messaging, telemetry or
                      anything else you'd want to send in to APRS-IS. That's the only
                      "database" of packets I'm aware of in the -IS proper.

                      You are correct that findu.com, aprs.fi, and maybe a few other sites
                      actually run a database and put a pretty web interface onto the
                      resulting data. It's these sites, and their integral APIs, that I'm
                      staying away from as long as I can. There are other APRS clients (note
                      the lack of -IS) that use these APIs to inject their packets and query
                      data for display, but those clients won't work on RF (for IGating in
                      either direction) nor as true players in the -IS arena, at least, not
                      that I know of. In some cases, receiving an ACK from a message to one
                      of these API-based clients doesn't even mean that the client received
                      the message, it only means the server got the message. (Don't quote me
                      on that last bit, it's my supposition not necessarily based on factual
                      knowledge of their internal operation).