Re: [aprsisce] Feedback solicitation

  • John Woods
    Message 1 of 34 , Dec 12, 2009
      Hi Lynn

      Your request for feedback reminded me I'd intended to try out your win32 APRS application, which I've done this evening, it runs fine, picking off stations from APRS-IS, I found it very easy to set up.

      A couple of things, (and I've not looked through the messages in the group yet, so apologies if they've already been covered).

      The map display is great, but it's very pale on screen, it's quite difficult to see map details clearly at a glance.  Is it possible to alter this from within the application?

      I'm not sure what the various boxes in the corners and at the bottom of the screen do yet, I think I need to feed a GPS into the PC to activate them.  Would it be possible to have some stock text displayed to inform the user what the boxes are for , even if they're not in use?

      Would it be possible to put some basic documentation in the archive along with the application for download?

      I don't own a phone that will support APRSISCE (yet!).

      I'm looking forward to the RF enabled win32 version, it's great to see new software being developed for APRS.

      Thanks and regards - John G1EUH.

      Ok, there's been quite a few new members of the group over the past few
      weeks so it's time to hear some feedback.

      Who of you is running APRISCE on Windows Mobile?  And what platform is
      it on?

      Who has dared the new APRSIS32 for Win32 and what's your opinion of it?

      Tell me what features you like, what you don't like, and what drives you
      crazy (like the slightest move while trying to click on the screen ends
      up moving the map and locking the center)?

      I'd like to improve the product and move it towards becoming a UI-View
      replacement, so let me know what you'd like to see.

      If all goes well, there should be a release soon that supports KISS TNCs
      for direct RF access as well!  This will enable mobile IGate operation
      via your phone if you have either a real serial port or a BlueTooth to
      serial adapter on your TNC.

      I can't make the program better if I don't hear what you'd like difference!

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
          aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 26, 2010
        m6xsd wrote:
        > Yep, point taken on 'Lost Fix' but I still think being able to select
        > pre-programmed static points when 'en-route' would be good, I can
        > think of quite a few situations where I would like to 'annouce'(for
        > want of a better word) that I'm not exactly where my GPS thinks I am
        > (or was).

        See Bob's APRS 1.1 extension called "Destination Waypoints" described at:

        http://wa8lmf.net/bruninga/APRS-docs/MOBILE.TXT

        This is part of the APRS 1.1 Spec Addendum you can see at:

        http://wa8lmf.net/bruninga/aprs/aprs11.html

        I'm considering supporting the ability to beacon a "destination
        waypoint" as well as interpret them and draw the lines that are
        described. I don't know how many other APRS clients do this, but it's
        part of the published spec, so I might as well support it! Who knows, I
        might even make it part of the Poll's () "slow beacon" mode!

        Oh, and another preview of things to come is that I'm designing a
        "coordinate picker" dialog that will embed the OpenStreetMap with pan
        and zoom to allow you to home in on and set a coordinate. It'll still
        support a variety of manually-entered coordinates, but you'll be able to
        see where you entered or enter what you see. - Thoughts?

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ