Lynn, I broke it...

    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2010
      Okay, I've hosed up my machine...

      I went to play with the Kenwood Development version again.

      When I started it up, it started squawking about wanting to know where
      my OSM tiles were located. I tried pointing it at the main directory,
      sub directories, right down to the actual 0/0/0 tile. It never liked
      anything I was telling it. I think I finally hit cancel or ignore
      enough that the program started up with no tiles available. Then, I
      went in and configured my general information, and in the process it
      looks like I fat fingered my APRS-IS password (put an extra character
      on the end).

      I shut down, copied my OSM tile directory over from an old xml file,
      and noticed my fat fingered password, so I fixed that (or so I think).

      Now when I start up, I have OSM tiles, but my APRS-IS feed won't start
      up. I just get a boatload of this:

      APRS-IS:2010-05-02T14:47:47 Opening rotate.aprs2.net:14580
      APRS-IS:2010-05-02T14:47:47 Error Opening rotate.aprs2.net:14580 LastError 0
      APRS-IS:2010-05-02T14:47:52 Opening rotate.aprs2.net:14580
      APRS-IS:2010-05-02T14:47:52 Error Opening rotate.aprs2.net:14580 LastError 0
      APRS-IS:2010-05-02T14:47:57 Opening rotate.aprs2.net:14580
      APRS-IS:2010-05-02T14:47:57 Error Opening rotate.aprs2.net:14580 LastError 0

      Any idea what I broke?

      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2010
        Can you e-mail the .XML file to KJ4ERJ@...? Also, if you open a
        telnet session (I'm assuming you're on Win32) with "telnet
        rotate.aprs2.net 14580" (space, not a colon), what does it say? I'm
        suspecting you actually have connectivity issues getting to APRS-IS and
        it's coincidence that it happened with your other changes. Finally, is
        this the released version or development? There's a big difference in
        what they do for connections and ability to debug connection-related
        issues. I'm thinking it's the released version, because otherwise, I
        think I'd be seeing stuff about Resolving and a list of IP address that
        came from the rotate.aprs2.net DNS.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2010
          On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

          > Can you e-mail the .XML file to KJ4ERJ@...?

          On its way...

          > Also, if you open a
          > telnet session (I'm assuming you're on Win32) with "telnet
          > rotate.aprs2.net 14580" (space, not a colon), what does it say?

          # javAPRSSrvr 3.15b08
          # javAPRSSrvr 3.15b08 2 May 2010 16:42:48 GMT T2NUENGLD 128.148.32.131:14580
          # javAPRSSrvr 3.15b08 2 May 2010 16:43:08 GMT T2NUENGLD 128.148.32.131:14580

          Connection to host lost.

          C:\Documents and Settings\jame>

          > I'm
          > suspecting you actually have connectivity issues getting to APRS-IS and
          > it's coincidence that it happened with your other changes.  Finally, is
          > this the released version or development?

          APRS-IS Client by KJ4ERJ
          Built: 2010/04/25 22:51

          (c) 2009, 2010
          All Rights Reserved
          Homeside Software, Inc.
          Lynn W. Deffenbaugh

          OLD Version Available!
          Built: 2010/04/03 15:49

          Download it?

          When the program asks you where the OSM tiles cache is located, what
          are you supposed to do? I wiped out my XML file and started from
          scratch again, and still could not figure out where I was supposed to
          point the thing at. I had to cancel out again after pointing it at
          just about every directory I could think of trying.

          I did notice that the program now uses slashes

          <OSM.Path>C:/Documents and Settings/jame/My Documents/RadioMobile
          Data/OSM/OSMTiles/</OSM.Path>

          instead of backslashes

          <OSM.Path>C:\Documents and Settings\jame\My Documents\RadioMobile
          Data\OSM\</OSM.Path>

          yet if I overwrite the top example which doesn't work with the bottom
          version copied out an old xml file, the OSM tiles show up.

          Is the new version demanding that the OSM tiles directory be named OSMTiles?

          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2010
            I must have really hosed something, as I created a new directory, and
            downloaded the latest version from the yahoogroup. This version won't
            run at all, it crashes. I was able to start it, and enter my callsign
            and passcode, but after that it died. Trying to restart crashes
            immediately.

            The development version still runs in its own directory, but no
            connection to the APRS-IS.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2010
              Now that I wrote that email, the newly downloaded version works, and
              connects to the APRS-IS. The development version still can't connect
              though... what's the story?