Re: [aprsisce] 2009/12/03 - New Release! - Station Tracking

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
      Dave,

      First, both the Windows Mobile and the Win32 clients expect an "always
      on" connection. They are first and foremost an APRS-IS (not RF) client
      and cannot get data without the Internet. With that said...

      If you want to always receive a particular station's packets when you
      are connected and regardless of where it goes, you can add it as a buddy
      or a friend filter. The difference is whether you receive just that
      station, or the station and other stations within a specified radius of
      that station. The two filters would be added to the (blank delimited)
      Add Filter field of the configuration dialog.

      As you can see below, the Budlist supports both wildcards and multiple
      calls in a single instance while the friend filter needs to specify the
      full call-ssid of the moving station along with a range in kilometers
      from that station's most recently beaconed position. You can even put a
      b/ filter for the call-* (all -ssids) along with an f/call-ssid/range
      filter for the particular -ssid you're most interested in. That way you
      receive any packets from the station before any position beacons have
      been received.

      Finally, the client automatically adds an f/call-ssid/range filter using
      the configured range whenever you click on the station and select
      "Center" from the pop-up menu. The map will move to the center and will
      automatically move to the most recently received position of that
      station. This is very handy for just watching a truck go by on the
      local interstate, for instance, whereas configuring explicit b/ or f/
      filters is good for when your son and daughter head out of state on a
      road trip!

      The centered station is not remembered when the client is restarted, but
      the filter settings are, although you'd still have to find the station
      and re-initiate the Center action to get the map to track it after
      restarting.

      From http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/JAVaprsFilters.htm:

      #3 b/ Budlist filter

      The budlist filter will pass traffic based on exact match of the sender's
      call or call starts with a specific pattern (from V 1.4). Also the SSID
      is part
      of the exact match.

      Syntax: b/call1/p1*/call3/p2*...

      Where: b = budlist command
      call# = The prefix (starting) pattern
      p# = The prefix (starting) pattern

      Samples:

      *b/SM5NRK * This will pass all traffic from SM5NRK
      without any SSID
      *b/SM5NRK-5/SK5UM * This will pass all traffic from SM5NRK-5
      and from SK5UM
      *b/K** This will pass all traffic from stations
      starting with K
      *b/SM5NRK/F* * This will pass all traffic from SM5NRK and
      all stations starting with F

      #11 f/ Friend Range filter

      The friend filter works the same as My range filter, except you define which
      call-ssid should be used (see more above). Up to 9 friend filters can be
      defined.
      This is a moving filter so it follows the call-ssid last known position.

      Note: This will not work until a valid position has been sent from the
      call-ssid defined.

      Syntax: f/call/dist

      Where: f = friend range command
      call = call to be used as center of the range
      dist = distance in kilometers from lat/lon.

      Samples:
      *f/SM5NRK/500* This will pass all traffic within 500 km from
      SM5NRK's last position.

      David Shrum wrote:
      > Lynn,
      > I suspect I just missed it somewhere but how do I make the map track a
      > specific station, not mine since I don't have an 'always on' Internet
      > connection. Do I put that call in the 'add filter' location then "OK" it?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Dave N8PU

    • David Shrum
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2009
        Lynn,
        I guess I'm too dumb to figure out how to make it track just one station,
        under configure - add filter I added (my sons call) b/W8TVI-12 and nothing,
        then changed it to f/W8TVI-12 and still nothing. I suspect I'm missing at
        least one if not more steps but I can't get it to track him like I can using
        the Google maps under http://aprs.fi/?call=(call).

        Any ideas what I might be doing wrong, please keep your answer K I S S (keep
        it simple for stupid).

        Dave N8PU

        #11 f/ Friend Range filter

        David Shrum wrote:
        > Lynn,
        > I suspect I just missed it somewhere but how do I make the map track a
        > specific station, not mine since I don't have an 'always on' Internet
        > connection. Do I put that call in the 'add filter' location then "OK" it?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dave N8PU

        14:43:00

        14:47:00
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 13, 2009
          Dave,

          Here's the filter text from one of my APRSIS32 clients (works on
          APRSISCE as well):

          r/27.99673/-80.659072/1 b/N4GVA-2 b/AI4RI-2 u/APWW*/APWM*

          That says only give me 1 (yes, ONE) kilometer around my home
          coordinates, but give me ALL of N4GVA-2 and AI4RI-2 packets. It also
          tracks all of the APRSISCE and APRSIS32 clients (the u/ filter).

          You also need to connect to an APRS-IS server's filter port that doesn't
          previously filter out who you're trying to watch. I connect mine to
          port 14580 of rotate.aprs2.net. You set this up by manually editing the
          .XML file while the client is NOT running. Otherwise, your changes will
          get overwritten when you exit the client.

          If that doesn't work, we'll try something more extensive.

          Oh, and when you start getting packets for him, the map will not
          automatically move to where he is. You have to click on his callsign in
          the scrolling station list and select "Center" from the popup menu.

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

          PS. Just for the record, here's the filter from my APRSISCE client
          (KJ4ERJ-12):

          b/N4GVA* b/KJ4ERJ* b/KJ4DXK* b/KJ4OVQ* s/@/@ u/APWW*/APWM* -b/WINLINK

          N4GVA is an airplane tracker from Daytona
          KJ4ERJ is of course all of my clients and trackers
          KJ4DXK is my son
          KJ4OVQ is my wife

          Yes, I keep it all in the family!