RE: [aprsisce] Request GPS sharing

    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011

      All I really wanted to do was feed the GPS that’s attached to G6UIM through to my G6UIM-6 instance. I have looked and have yet to find a virtual com port that works on windows 7 x64.

      Or allow it to access gpsd which would accomplish that a a lot more.

      But I do understand if that’s not going to happen

      Torbay Freecycle Moderator

      From: Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...>
      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, October 3, 2011, 7:47 AM

      Is it their own or a freely available driver that they simply bundled into their distribution?  If the latter, you can always go get that one and install it yourself, or install HRD and use it for anything.

      Anyone that can handle the complex configurations that become possible with virtual port drivers can probably handle the acquisition and installation of that driver separately from APRSISCE/32 which I really want to keep focused.

      On 10/2/2011 11:11 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote:

      Ham Radio Deluxe comes with a virtual com port driver.

      As for additional NMEA ports, I think GPSd could supply GPS data to multiple devices through TCP/IP.  I see that is one of the port options for NMEA.  I'll have to connect a GPS to one of Linux machines (maybe OpenWRT) and give that a try.  Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until morning.

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011
        There is one here that will run on x64. They explain why you will have to pay for it. I use the x32 version which has run perfectly and it is free.

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011
          After reading my post I can see how it might be interpreted. I don't run the x32 version on x64 machines.

          Fred, N7FMH

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011

              Well they are purists and it does a lot more than is required, by the way you have the code for gpsd Lynn , I sent that to you when we were discussing Estimated Position Error (EPE) one of the things it does, and would be nice to see, AFAIK it’s licence free.

              Personally I am not offended by your reluctance to do it or anything else for that matter, you know me I just throw ideas into the pot

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011

                I will just note that UI-View has a GPS pass though, and sets up a com port for it, well it would I guess if I was using window 95 or something.

                URGENT: how good is position ambiguity! Lynn ’s missile here

                >.< or here ---
                style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Wingdings;color:navy'>à.

                Just  setting up UI-View to have a test environment.

                Torbay Freecycle Moderator

                On 10/2/2011 9:22 PM, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

                > Or NMEA over a virtual COM port. With that, I could run my mapping
                > program concurrently with APRSIS/32 and the mapping program could get
                > lat/lon from the GPS via APRSIS/32.
                >
                > Bob...
                >
                > P.S. NMEA over a virtual COM port is another UI-View feature.

                Please define a "virtual COM port". To me it means that UI-View
                includes drivers that create additional COMn devices within Windows that
                when a program opens one of those "virtual COM ports", NMEA data is
                magically there. I suspect that's not what you mean by the same term.

                More likely, UI-View's feature is just what was originally request, a
                new port type in APRSISCE/32 that can be configured as any one of my
                three (currently) physical ports (TCP/IP, Bluetooth, and COMn) such that
                wherever APRSISCE/32 is getting it's GPS data from, NMEA data is sent
                out to the new port type in a fashion similar to a downstream APRS-IS
                server.

                Now, if an enterprising person were to install a third-party "virtual
                COM port" driver, and subsequently configure one of those truly virtual
                ports in APRSISCE/32 to be an NMEA feed port, you'd have some
                inside-the-PC NMEA sharing capability between concurrently executing
                applications.

                I'm all interested to learn just what UI-View's "virtual COM port"
                really does, but I suspect it simply opens a COMn port and pumps NMEA
                data out via that port and any "virtualization" is up to other software.

              • Bob Burns W9RXR
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011
                  At 09:30 PM 10/2/2011, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

                  >Please define a "virtual COM port". To me it means that UI-View
                  >includes drivers that create additional COMn devices within Windows
                  >that when a program opens one of those "virtual COM ports", NMEA
                  >data is magically there. I suspect that's not what you mean by the same term.

                  That's my understanding, though I've never used the feature. I wish
                  James or someone more familiar with it would chime in. Here's what
                  the UI-View help file says:

                  ===============

                  GPS Output Setup

                  This dialogue allows you to select a COM port, on which UI-View32
                  will output the data it receives from an attached GPS. This means you
                  can share a GPS between UI-View32 and another application. TCP/IP
                  output of the GPS data can also be enabled.

                  The default is that no COM port is selected, which means UI-View32
                  will not output GPS data, and TCP/IP output is disabled. To avoid
                  wasting PC resources, do not enable either option unless you need to use it.

                  Although the COM port selected for output can be a physical COM port,
                  this facility is intended to be used with a virtual COM port bridge.
                  (A description of how a virtual COM port bridge works is beyond the
                  scope of this help file!)

                  If UI-View32 is receiving GPS data from a GPS attached to a KPC-3+
                  TNC, or from a GPS attached to a Kenwood radio, which will be mixed
                  in with packet data, the GPS data output from UI-View32 will be clean
                  data. However, the frequency of the data may not be sufficient to
                  keep some other programs happy. For example, MapPoint seems to need
                  to see GPS input at least once every two seconds. If you check Fill
                  in gaps in GPS data, then UI-View32 will output at least one GPS
                  sentence every second. The "fill in" data is created by repeating the
                  last $GPRMC or $GPGGA sentence that UI-View32 heard.

                  Note - If a COM port is currently selected in "Comms Setup", or in
                  "GPS Setup", then it will not be selectable in this dialogue.

                  Enable TCP/IP server

                  If you check this option, then external programs can make a telnet
                  connection on port 1449 and receive the GPS data from UI-View32. The
                  setting of "Fill in gaps in data" is not applied to TCP/IP output.
                  The port used can be changed by editing the "TCPIP_OUTPUT_PORT" key
                  in the "[GPS]" section of UIVIEW32.INI.

                  =================

                  Bob...
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011
                    On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...> wrote:

                    > That's my understanding, though I've never used the feature. I wish
                    > James or someone more familiar with it would chime in. Here's what
                    > the UI-View help file says:

                    Here I was being a nice guy letting you show your smarts... of course,
                    had I read the next part of your email, I wouldn't have a copy of the
                    same information in my clipboard... duh!

                    Lynn, hopefully the information copied out of the UI-View help files
                    describes the concept enough.

                    UI-View just takes the GPS data received on one port, and feeds that
                    data out a second serial port. The outbound GPS port can be a real
                    physical port, or a virtual port. To use a virtual serial port, one
                    needs to run a serial port virtualization tool, such as the ones
                    already mentioned.

                    One has to have the virtual com port active so that UI-View can find
                    the virtual port, and use it. To UI-View, a virtual com port looks
                    just like a real com port. The virtual port can simply reflect that
                    virtual port back into the machine as yet another virtual serial port
                    which you can then point a second application at to gather GPS data.
                    Some virtual serial port drivers can create multiple output streams
                    from one input feed as well.

                    All of that is outside of what APRSISCE/32 would need to do, which is
                    simply take the GPS input strings and feed them back out a second
                    serial port. It would be up to the user to provide the outgoing serial
                    port to APRSISCE/32.

                    Sorry for disappearing on you, but I was tearing the roof off the
                    neighbor's house on Saturday, and dismantling a tower on Sunday...

                  • Jerry
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 4, 2011

                      Steve,

                      I have used this VSP with windows 7.  And the price is right (free).

                      http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html