Request GPS sharing

    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2011

      As we have a port to share IS streams I would like a port to allow sharing of GPS data between instances, NMEA over TCP/IP or some such.

      The ability to connect to GPSD would be good or even use it internally.

      Torbay Freecycle Moderator

    • Bradley Haney
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2011
        is there an easy way to configure the IGATe Ie buddy list and such?
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2011

          At the moment it’s selecting RF to IS and IS to RF, everything heard on RF will get fed to IS, IS to RF at the moment is restricted to messages. If the station has been heard on an RF port and a message for that station is heard on IS it will get broadcast over RF.?

          Lynn is working on a sophisticated  method of IS to RF but it’s not here yet.

          Oh and queries for QRU objects will pass through if the station is item as a message capable

          Torbay Freecycle Moderator

          is there an easy way to configure the IGATe Ie buddy list and such?

        • Bob Burns W9RXR
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 2, 2011
            At 04:58 PM 10/2/2011, Steve Daniels wrote:

            >As we have a port to share IS streams I would like a port to allow
            >sharing of GPS data between instances, NMEA over TCP/IP or some such.

            Or NMEA over a virtual COM port. With that, I could run my mapping
            program concurrently with APRSIS/32 and the mapping program could get
            lat/lon from the GPS via APRSIS/32.

            Bob...

            P.S. NMEA over a virtual COM port is another UI-View feature.
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 2, 2011
              On 10/2/2011 9:22 PM, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

              > Or NMEA over a virtual COM port. With that, I could run my mapping
              > program concurrently with APRSIS/32 and the mapping program could get
              > lat/lon from the GPS via APRSIS/32.
              >
              > Bob...
              >
              > P.S. NMEA over a virtual COM port is another UI-View feature.

              Please define a "virtual COM port". To me it means that UI-View
              includes drivers that create additional COMn devices within Windows that
              when a program opens one of those "virtual COM ports", NMEA data is
              magically there. I suspect that's not what you mean by the same term.

              More likely, UI-View's feature is just what was originally request, a
              new port type in APRSISCE/32 that can be configured as any one of my
              three (currently) physical ports (TCP/IP, Bluetooth, and COMn) such that
              wherever APRSISCE/32 is getting it's GPS data from, NMEA data is sent
              out to the new port type in a fashion similar to a downstream APRS-IS
              server.

              Now, if an enterprising person were to install a third-party "virtual
              COM port" driver, and subsequently configure one of those truly virtual
              ports in APRSISCE/32 to be an NMEA feed port, you'd have some
              inside-the-PC NMEA sharing capability between concurrently executing
              applications.

              I'm all interested to learn just what UI-View's "virtual COM port"
              really does, but I suspect it simply opens a COMn port and pumps NMEA
              data out via that port and any "virtualization" is up to other software.

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 2, 2011
                You can share any serial GPS data via third-party COM port virtualization software.  Just let that software "own" the GPS serial port and virtualize it out one (shareable) or more (exclusive) ports for various serial NMEA consuming applications.

                What do you have that will actually consume NMEA data shared over TCP/IP?  And even better, would it be expecting a TCP/IP port to which it will connect or is it offering a TCP/IP port to which the NMEA data source will connect?  In other words, is the requested TCP/IP NMEA-sharing capability supposed to be a server or client port within APRSISCE/32?

                As for Bluetooth, same question applies.  Are you expecting APRSISCE/32 to offer a discoverable SPP (Serial Port Profile) Bluetooth service to which other Bluetooth clients can connect to receive NMEA data (as if APRSISCE/32 was a Bluetooth GPS) or are you expecting APRSISCE/32 to connect outward to an external Bluetooth device (like a Bluetooth to serial adapter) and forward NMEA data out that connection?

                In any of the above cases, there is software out there that does that.  Ever hear of GPSGate?

                PS.  If only the gpsAPI from Windows Mobile had migrated to desktop Windows, sharing a single GPS port would never be an issue.  WinMo includes a virtual, shareable, COMn port offering NMEA data from the platform-supplied native GPS to any and all programs that open the port, concurrently!

                On 10/2/2011 4:58 PM, Steve Daniels wrote:

                As we have a port to share IS streams I would like a port to allow sharing of GPS data between instances, NMEA over TCP/IP or some such.

                The ability to connect to GPSD would be good or even use it internally.

                Torbay Freecycle Moderator

              • Rob Giuliano
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 2, 2011
                  Ham Radio Deluxe comes with a virtual com port driver.

                  As for additional NMEA ports, I think GPSd could supply GPS data to multiple devices through TCP/IP.  I see that is one of the port options for NMEA.  I'll have to connect a GPS to one of Linux machines (maybe OpenWRT) and give that a try.  Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until morning.

                  Robert Giuliano
                  KB8RCO

> [...]

                    new port type in APRSISCE/32 that can be configured as any one of my
                    three (currently) physical ports (TCP/IP, Bluetooth, and COMn) such that
                    wherever APRSISCE/32 is getting it's GPS data from, NMEA data is sent
                    out to the new port type in a fashion similar to a downstream APRS-IS
                    server.

                    Now, if an enterprising person were to install a third-party "virtual
                    COM port" driver, and subsequently configure one of those truly virtual
                    ports in APRSISCE/32 to be an NMEA feed port, you'd have some
                    inside-the-PC NMEA sharing capability between concurrently executing
                    applications.

                    I'm all interested to learn just what UI-View's "virtual COM port"
                    really does, but I suspect it simply opens a COMn port and pumps NMEA
                    data out via that port and any "virtualization" is up to other software.

                  • apenadragon
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011
                      I utilize Franson GPSGate V2.6.0.402 http://gpsgate.com/products/gpsgate_client

                      This allows me to use Garmin, BT GPS, NMEA GPS input on a USB port, or a serial device to feed many virtual com ports.

                      I haven't had a chance to try it with the Delorme earthmate that I just picked up yet so I was reluctant to share it, but here it is anyway.

                      There are many options for input and output with this, and I'm only running the free version that still works after the 14 day trial period (as far as I've been able to get it to work anyway)

                      Here is the comparison for the Standard (pay) Vs Express (free) versions

                      http://gpsgate.com/purchase/gpsgate_express_license

                      Works for what I need, which is APRSIS32 and DeLorme Topo North America 9.0.

                      Adam
                      KC2ANT

                      > Is it their own or a freely available driver that they simply bundled
                      > into their distribution? If the latter, you can always go get that one
                      > and install it yourself, or install HRD and use it for anything.
                      >
                      > Anyone that can handle the complex configurations that become possible
                      > with virtual port drivers can probably handle the acquisition and
                      > installation of that driver separately from APRSISCE/32 which I really
                      > want to keep focused.

                      > On 10/2/2011 11:11 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Ham Radio Deluxe comes with a virtual com port driver.
                      > >
                      > > As for additional NMEA ports, I think GPSd could supply GPS data to
                      > > multiple devices through TCP/IP. I see that is one of the port
                      > > options for NMEA. I'll have to connect a GPS to one of Linux machines
                      > > (maybe OpenWRT) and give that a try. Unfortunately, it'll have to
                      > > wait until morning.
                      > >
                      > > Robert Giuliano
                      > > KB8RCO

                    • Rob Giuliano
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011
                        The about says it is N8VB vCOM Virtual Serial Port Driver.
                        It also seems to be around SDR websites

                        Although I never found a direct answer, it appears to be free.
                        There is reference to "unsupported by Author - N8VB Phip A. Covington".
                          That was 2005!

                        Robert Giuliano
                        KB8RCO

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011
                          I also found an application called Com0Com on some SDR references.  Use instructions are at:
                          PDF of installation info and reference to download on sourceforge.net

                          Don't know anything about it, but it is an alternative.

                          Robert Giuliano
                          KB8RCO

                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011

                              All I really wanted to do was feed the GPS that’s attached to G6UIM through to my G6UIM-6 instance. I have looked and have yet to find a virtual com port that works on windows 7 x64.

                              Or allow it to access gpsd which would accomplish that a a lot more.

                              But I do understand if that’s not going to happen

                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011
                                There is one here that will run on x64. They explain why you will have to pay for it. I use the x32 version which has run perfectly and it is free.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011
                                  After reading my post I can see how it might be interpreted. I don't run the x32 version on x64 machines.

                                  Fred, N7FMH

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011

                                      Well they are purists and it does a lot more than is required, by the way you have the code for gpsd Lynn , I sent that to you when we were discussing Estimated Position Error (EPE) one of the things it does, and would be nice to see, AFAIK it’s licence free.

                                      Personally I am not offended by your reluctance to do it or anything else for that matter, you know me I just throw ideas into the pot

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011

                                        I will just note that UI-View has a GPS pass though, and sets up a com port for it, well it would I guess if I was using window 95 or something.

                                        URGENT: how good is position ambiguity! Lynn ’s missile here

                                        >.< or here ---
                                        style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Wingdings;color:navy'>à.

                                        Just  setting up UI-View to have a test environment.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011
                                          At 09:30 PM 10/2/2011, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

                                          >Please define a "virtual COM port". To me it means that UI-View
                                          >includes drivers that create additional COMn devices within Windows
                                          >that when a program opens one of those "virtual COM ports", NMEA
                                          >data is magically there. I suspect that's not what you mean by the same term.

                                          That's my understanding, though I've never used the feature. I wish
                                          James or someone more familiar with it would chime in. Here's what
                                          the UI-View help file says:

                                          ===============

                                          GPS Output Setup

                                          This dialogue allows you to select a COM port, on which UI-View32
                                          will output the data it receives from an attached GPS. This means you
                                          can share a GPS between UI-View32 and another application. TCP/IP
                                          output of the GPS data can also be enabled.

                                          The default is that no COM port is selected, which means UI-View32
                                          will not output GPS data, and TCP/IP output is disabled. To avoid
                                          wasting PC resources, do not enable either option unless you need to use it.

                                          Although the COM port selected for output can be a physical COM port,
                                          this facility is intended to be used with a virtual COM port bridge.
                                          (A description of how a virtual COM port bridge works is beyond the
                                          scope of this help file!)

                                          If UI-View32 is receiving GPS data from a GPS attached to a KPC-3+
                                          TNC, or from a GPS attached to a Kenwood radio, which will be mixed
                                          in with packet data, the GPS data output from UI-View32 will be clean
                                          data. However, the frequency of the data may not be sufficient to
                                          keep some other programs happy. For example, MapPoint seems to need
                                          to see GPS input at least once every two seconds. If you check Fill
                                          in gaps in GPS data, then UI-View32 will output at least one GPS
                                          sentence every second. The "fill in" data is created by repeating the
                                          last $GPRMC or $GPGGA sentence that UI-View32 heard.

                                          Note - If a COM port is currently selected in "Comms Setup", or in
                                          "GPS Setup", then it will not be selectable in this dialogue.

                                          Enable TCP/IP server

                                          If you check this option, then external programs can make a telnet
                                          connection on port 1449 and receive the GPS data from UI-View32. The
                                          setting of "Fill in gaps in data" is not applied to TCP/IP output.
                                          The port used can be changed by editing the "TCPIP_OUTPUT_PORT" key
                                          in the "[GPS]" section of UIVIEW32.INI.

                                          =================

                                          Bob...
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 3, 2011
                                            On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...> wrote:

                                            > That's my understanding, though I've never used the feature. I wish
                                            > James or someone more familiar with it would chime in. Here's what
                                            > the UI-View help file says:

                                            Here I was being a nice guy letting you show your smarts... of course,
                                            had I read the next part of your email, I wouldn't have a copy of the
                                            same information in my clipboard... duh!

                                            Lynn, hopefully the information copied out of the UI-View help files
                                            describes the concept enough.

                                            UI-View just takes the GPS data received on one port, and feeds that
                                            data out a second serial port. The outbound GPS port can be a real
                                            physical port, or a virtual port. To use a virtual serial port, one
                                            needs to run a serial port virtualization tool, such as the ones
                                            already mentioned.

                                            One has to have the virtual com port active so that UI-View can find
                                            the virtual port, and use it. To UI-View, a virtual com port looks
                                            just like a real com port. The virtual port can simply reflect that
                                            virtual port back into the machine as yet another virtual serial port
                                            which you can then point a second application at to gather GPS data.
                                            Some virtual serial port drivers can create multiple output streams
                                            from one input feed as well.

                                            All of that is outside of what APRSISCE/32 would need to do, which is
                                            simply take the GPS input strings and feed them back out a second
                                            serial port. It would be up to the user to provide the outgoing serial
                                            port to APRSISCE/32.

                                            Sorry for disappearing on you, but I was tearing the roof off the
                                            neighbor's house on Saturday, and dismantling a tower on Sunday...

                                          • Jerry
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Oct 4, 2011

                                              Steve,

                                              I have used this VSP with windows 7.  And the price is right (free).

                                              http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html